PDA

View Full Version : ASUS G73JW Owners Lounge

Pages : 1 [2]

powerpack
01-16-2011, 08:47 PM
I saw something said it could be done on your own. I will see if I can find. Somehow I think Smoghog might of posted the original?

SmogHog
01-16-2011, 08:51 PM
acheronx1 said,

"So I decided to do some overclocking on my G73JW-A1."

Did you use the MSI Afterburner software to overclock?

acheronx1
01-16-2011, 09:22 PM
SmogHog: Yes, I did.

Using MSI Afterburner v2.0. RivaTuner is outdated, and eVGA Precision doesn't work that well with this laptop.

What did you need to know?

SmogHog
01-16-2011, 09:27 PM
SmogHog: Yes, I did.

Using MSI Afterburner v2.0. RivaTuner is outdated, and eVGA Precision doesn't work that well with this laptop.

What did you need to know?

Just my curiosity as to what software members are using to overclock their notebooks.

acheronx1
01-16-2011, 09:33 PM
Fair enough.

It even has the voltage control, but I'm not going to dabble in that as I'm not that far advanced in overclocking GPUs.

uglystranger
01-17-2011, 08:31 AM
Guys i got a problem when i installed the latest driver update, this black system box popped up and my resolution got reduced to 800x600, in the resolution menu it said that my screen was connected trough a vga cable. anybody knows an answer to this issue. i had to restore my computer to an earlier backup and i dont want to try updating again

b0t5n1p3r
01-17-2011, 02:16 PM
For anyone interested and annoyed by the squeaky ctrl key on the G73 (JW specifically, but it should work on the JH as well), I posted an easy tutorial here:

http://www.xoticpcforums.com/showthread.php?t=8463

Hope this can help some people, let me know on my thread.

Keeper
01-17-2011, 03:22 PM
Guys i got a problem when i installed the latest driver update, this black system box popped up and my resolution got reduced to 800x600, in the resolution menu it said that my screen was connected trough a vga cable. anybody knows an answer to this issue. i had to restore my computer to an earlier backup and i dont want to try updating again

I just read on another thread that Asus has since updated that driver (supposedly the initial driver would not allow the machine to see the video card) and they upgraded again and it fixed. I do not know which driver it was and the poster did not put it in the thread. Best bet would be to check the driver details against google and see if anyone else had the same issue since I do not know which version the other user upgraded to, just the fact that a few days later the next update fixed it.

Hemotherapy
01-22-2011, 09:27 PM
Fair enough.

It even has the voltage control, but I'm not going to dabble in that as I'm not that far advanced in overclocking GPUs.

What are the average temps I should be seeing on this? I've thought about OC'ing mine, but SpeedFan shows me running at 68C on the GPU when playing WoW, and the cores at 68-70C

For my desktops Quad core I'd be flipping out if my CPU was running at 70...BUT I do realize this is a different computer, and is a laptop, but are those temps acceptable? Is there some wiggle room for some OC'ing?

And if so, can I get a link to the Afterburner software pretty please?

Hemotherapy
01-22-2011, 09:38 PM
I paid the $10 (it's 800 yen now) for setFSB and certainly worth the money. It has improved my CPU rating significantly as you can tell.

The JW do get a "Turbo Boost" button, which of course, I'm using along with setFSB.

With all the overclocking, my temperatures have not once gone over 80c, and I am not using a cooling pad atm either. Sitting in a somewhat warm room, and on a flat desk surface, and the cooling system is still able to keep it at decent temperatures.

Will check out SiSoft benchmarking now and see how that goes.

I wouldn't bother with a cooling pad. I bought http://www.frozencpu.com/products/9139/lap-51/Lian_Li_NC-09B_17_NoteBook_Cooler_Pad_-_Black.html

Hardly does anything at all. The cooling system in this thing must be out of control, because that fan does absolutely nothing temp wise if I have it on or off.

Which is a good thing, because it's awesome to have a laptop you don't need a cooling pad for, but not awesome because I paid a pretty penny for that, and basically it doesn't nothing other than serve as a stand for my laptop on my desk =/

I would return it, but it does look nice, and it's good for when it's laying on a soft surface like my bed or something.

But other than that you DO NOT need to buy a cooling pad.

Hemotherapy
01-22-2011, 09:39 PM

Had the same issue on mine, I did a system restore to a few days back and I'm never downloading the updates again now.

San13
01-23-2011, 09:03 AM
Hi everyone!
Just ordered my G73JW, can't wait....
I was just wondering are there any girls on this forum? ;)

powerpack
01-23-2011, 09:12 AM
Hi everyone!
Just ordered my G73JW, can't wait....
I was just wondering are there any girls on this forum? ;)I am going to assume you are a girl? There are some. Not everyone makes their sex known so we really don't know. But some have made it known. It is definitely a testosterone dominated forum.;):)

San13
01-23-2011, 09:30 AM
Yep! Loads of testosterone :laugh: (not that I mind) I was just curious.....

powerpack
01-23-2011, 09:57 AM
The boys have learned to play nice with the few girls who pass through. So welcome and enjoy your stay.:)

Enjoy your G73, I like mine (JH) very much. Looks, build, feel.

acheronx1
01-23-2011, 12:00 PM
I love my JW.

Wish that I could have gotten a 2nd-gen i7 instead of the 740. :P

Hemotherapy
01-23-2011, 04:33 PM
I love my JW.

Wish that I could have gotten a 2nd-gen i7 instead of the 740. :P

Same here!

I'll be a solid ASUS G73 buyer til I die as long as they keep pushing out new ones!

acheronx1
01-23-2011, 05:14 PM
I plan on buying a new one in a year anyways.

So it'll be nice if they come out with another stellar model.

Perhaps 3D, 2nd-Gen CPU.... or even 2nd-gen GPU. :p

powerpack
01-23-2011, 05:46 PM
I plan on buying a new one in a year anyways.

So it'll be nice if they come out with another stellar model.

Perhaps 3D, 2nd-Gen CPU.... or even 2nd-gen GPU. :pThey will unless 3D turns out to be crap.;):)

acheronx1
01-23-2011, 06:41 PM
True. I'm still not satisfied with he LED screens. It could be better.

The reduction in heat radiance certainly was improved, I give them that.

I've been buying new laptop every year, unfortunately. I travel all the time for work, so it gets a lot of wear and tear. If the G73JW withstands all my traveling for work by 6 months, then I will certainly vouch for it's durability.

San13
01-23-2011, 10:31 PM
I'm a big Asus fan, already have 2 laptops, just wanted a replacement for the gaming one.
I like the specs of G73, now I *just* have to wait for it to get here.... it will be the longest two weeks.... :(

acheronx1
01-23-2011, 10:48 PM
Reading about the G73 (or anything that you order) makes the waiting feel like months.

But the wait is worth it. It's like x-mas all over again. ;)

San13
01-24-2011, 03:35 AM
You couldn't be more right :biggrin:

Hemotherapy
01-24-2011, 09:10 AM
So what are acceptable temps for this thing if I want to OC it?

acheronx1
01-24-2011, 10:41 AM
You can overclock the GPU to 800/1600/1500 safely. Temps are steady around 65-70c.

CPU when overclocked to 1.85 GHz, will be around 60c upwards to 80c depending what you are doing (compiling, video editing etc)

Hemotherapy
01-24-2011, 01:04 PM
Can I over clock the GPU with the nvidia software like you can on ATi cards with catalyst? Same thing with the CPU in the BIOS right, or is there software that does all this for me, I think you mentioned Afterburner before in this thread?

acheronx1
01-24-2011, 01:50 PM
Personally, I use MSI Afterburner.

SmogHog found a nVidia software application that checks status of the GPU plus does overclocking to the clocks and voltages

Don't go too crazy overclocking, unless you use a laptop cooler and can help keep it cool.

Hemotherapy
01-24-2011, 07:03 PM
Personally, I use MSI Afterburner.

SmogHog found a nVidia software application that checks status of the GPU plus does overclocking to the clocks and voltages

Don't go too crazy overclocking, unless you use a laptop cooler and can help keep it cool.

I have a 17" Lian Li cooler. doesn't make a difference at all in temps.

Wether I have the fan on or off, no diff in temps.

acheronx1
01-24-2011, 07:13 PM
I notice a huge difference in cooling with my cooler.

It can easily knock off 5c to 10c from the idle temps.

Keeper
01-24-2011, 07:21 PM
I notice a huge difference in cooling with my cooler.

It can easily knock off 5c to 10c from the idle temps.

I pull about 5-10c myself, depending on what I am doing.

Hemotherapy
01-24-2011, 07:28 PM
I pull about 5-10c myself, depending on what I am doing.

Jesus, what is mine doing wrong! Link me what yours is?

Keeper
01-24-2011, 07:35 PM
Jesus, what is mine doing wrong! Link me what yours is?

I am using the one that Xotic sent me, which can be found http://www.amazon.com/Bytecc-NC-820-Aluminum-Notebook-Cooler/dp/B0029Y1DII though mine is black (not sure if that matters to you) but this is the model. Works great. Even when it is not actually running and is just sitting on it I still get 2-4c difference than just sitting it on the counter.

acheronx1
01-24-2011, 07:38 PM
Yeah, that's exactly what mine does too.

I can't recall what I have. I think it's from CoolerMaster.

On full load, 60c CPU... with cooler, 50c... so there is certainly an improvement.

Keeper
01-24-2011, 07:42 PM
I love having the machine run cooler than is needed so of course I will aways use mine but in all seriousness I have not seen any scary temps regardless whether or not it is on one. Cooler = better in my book but from what I can see ASUS really did cooling right in these things. I used to burn my hands on my old Sager, though it was 5 years old so I am sure there new ones are better, but this thing is just silly cool.

acheronx1
01-24-2011, 07:58 PM
The only *only* times I ever hear the fans really speed up to cool is when I got the temps to 80c... but that's because I intentionally stress tested the CPU. :)

But even at 80c, it ran just fine, and once the internal fans kicked in to keep it cool, it never went above 80c no matter what I tossed at it. I also put on the cooling pad, and it brought the temp down to 68c in a matter of about 15 seconds.

So yeah, I agree, Asus definitely have done good with their cooling systems. With help from Xotic, of course. The cooling paste put onto the CPU and GPU definitely help too.

Hemotherapy
01-24-2011, 09:38 PM
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/9139/lap-51/Lian_Li_NC-09B_17_NoteBook_Cooler_Pad_-_Black.html

That's the one I have, doesn't do s***! Maybe my G73 is flawed or something, because I can't honestly see how it WOULDN'T help...although I will admit, that fan doesn't move a whole lot of air due to it's size, maybe that coolermaster one moves a lot more =/

Keeper
01-24-2011, 09:43 PM
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/9139/lap-51/Lian_Li_NC-09B_17_NoteBook_Cooler_Pad_-_Black.html

That's the one I have, doesn't do s***! Maybe my G73 is flawed or something, because I can't honestly see how it WOULDN'T help...although I will admit, that fan doesn't move a whole lot of air due to it's size, maybe that coolermaster one moves a lot more =/

Both the coolermaster and the one I have have the same basic operating function, so I would imagine both would worth for you. I would be surprised if your JW was flawed in some way, I would give a different cooler a try and see what happens.

acheronx1
01-24-2011, 09:43 PM
Sorry, I have Thermaltake CLN0008 Massive23 CS.

VERY sturdy design, lots of airflow, but the JW is a tad big for it.

Hemotherapy
01-24-2011, 09:48 PM
Just put it on the pad, and dropped 1 degree. Sometimes it'll spike to 2 degrees less.

Maybe the GPU and CPU fans are running at a lower rate with the notebook cooler on?

I can't explain how I can't be getting similar results with my cooler that you two get!

acheronx1
01-24-2011, 09:53 PM
The GPU and CPU fans only run faster when they reach a certain degree in temperature.

Look at the bottom of your JW, and then the cooling pad, does the fans line up with the holes on the bottom of the laptop? Or at least close to.

And make sure you're on a solid flat surface. Don't use a cloth type fabric as the surface or it just won't work properly.

Hemotherapy
01-24-2011, 09:55 PM
The GPU and CPU fans only run faster when they reach a certain degree in temperature.

Look at the bottom of your JW, and then the cooling pad, does the fans line up with the holes on the bottom of the laptop? Or at least close to.

And make sure you're on a solid flat surface. Don't use a cloth type fabric as the surface or it just won't work properly.

The reason I got this one was because it alligns perfectly with the laptop, the lower half of the fan is right on the grate. And it's on my wood desk, flat surface.

acheronx1
01-24-2011, 09:58 PM
Hrm, I would suspect the CFM on the fan isn't powerful enough?

I'm not familiar with the Lion Zi model.

Hemotherapy
01-24-2011, 10:14 PM
I guess I can try it out the coolermaster one. This'll be my third one lol. The first was a 15" and it just didn't look or feel right so I thought that was the problem

acheronx1
01-24-2011, 10:34 PM
You gotta get one with a high CFM (cubic feet per minute). This thermaltake (the one I have) has a fairly high CFM and certainly produces a lot of airflow.

Hemotherapy
01-24-2011, 10:45 PM
Mmk, I'll look into that Coolermaster one. The reviews on this Lian Li one were all great...Guess that doesn't mean they were cooling this particular laptop though ;)

acheronx1
01-24-2011, 10:56 PM
Zalman NC3000 is one of the best mid-range cooling pads. Avg price is $70.

NZXT Cryo LX is the higher-end cooler. It is much larger (19" laptop capable) and much louder than the Zalman, but can cool much better and is more for aimed at cooling laptops during gaming. Avg price is also $70.

Personally, I think I'm going to be buying the Cryo LX when I get home.

Hemotherapy
01-24-2011, 11:16 PM
I'll try one of those out. Noise level isn't an issue as long as it's not REALLY noticeable.

SmogHog
01-25-2011, 12:09 AM
Notebook coolers look like they make good expensive laptop stands but somehow I equate them to a 6 lane highway merging into a single lane local road.

Trying to push all that air into a place that has little room to allow more in that can't be exhausted out at anywhere's near the same rate and volume doesn't seem practical.

The fans in the cooler need to line up with the air intake(s) on the bottom of the notebook and meet as little resistance as possible.I have a hard time seeing these coolers as being very effective but since I don't have,use or need one I'm open to seeing real world cooling numbers to see if the end justifies the means?

I think keeping the heatsinks,fans,vents and air paths clean with the chips having properly applied quality thermal compound will do more to ensure good cooling.

If it's for better peace of mind and looks,go for it since it can't really do any harm.

Hemotherapy
01-25-2011, 12:55 AM
So I feel kinda dumb, I was wondering why my temps were so high, annnnd I figured out why. I'm running dual screens on mine, and while streaming netflix and browsing the internet I'd have 57-60 degree GPU temps, and I'm like wtfffff this is ridic!

Then I plugged my desktop into my 23" monitor to do some stuff on it, and noticed my temps dropped drastically down to 42, still while streaming netflix...I have the same thought pattern of SmogHog. I don't think by any means my cooler is crap, Lian Li is a reputable company, I'd be hard pressed to think that getting that coolermaster pad would make much of a difference, because this fan moves a decent amount of air on it's own...so idk. I think the cooling this thing has is pretty much as good as you're gonna get.

Nocturnalis
01-26-2011, 03:22 AM
Honestly, I think a notebook cooler for the G73 is a waste of money. The system is set up so that all the airflow through the system is pulled in from the top of the computer, through the grill under the screen, and exhausted through the fan grills on the rear of the system. There is NO airflow pulled through the bottom, the only thing the vents on the bottom are for is the memory, and it remains cool enough without any help from a notebook cooler. Notebook coolers are meant for systems that vent air in through the bottom of the laptop, and that is why they force cool air up through the system. The only sort of cooler that would actually do ANYTHING for the G73 is one where there is a fan that is centered on the two small vents on the bottom under the memory, and this would not even put air into the rest of the system.

The G73 was specifically designed to NOT need an external cooler, so buying one would be overkill and a complete waste of money that could be spent on other "COOLER" things lol

If you dont believe me, try it yourself. Run the system all day, or even for a few hours, put your hand on the bottom where the vents are and I bet you dont notice ANY heat difference than the rest of the system.

Nocturnalis
01-26-2011, 03:29 AM
So I feel kinda dumb, I was wondering why my temps were so high, annnnd I figured out why. I'm running dual screens on mine, and while streaming netflix and browsing the internet I'd have 57-60 degree GPU temps, and I'm like wtfffff this is ridic!

Then I plugged my desktop into my 23" monitor to do some stuff on it, and noticed my temps dropped drastically down to 42, still while streaming netflix...I have the same thought pattern of SmogHog. I don't think by any means my cooler is crap, Lian Li is a reputable company, I'd be hard pressed to think that getting that coolermaster pad would make much of a difference, because this fan moves a decent amount of air on it's own...so idk. I think the cooling this thing has is pretty much as good as you're gonna get.

57-60 on the GPU is NOT ridiculous by any means. That is BARELY heating up the GPU at all. When I run demanding games on my JW, the temp on the GPU gets up to about 80, depending on what I am running sometimes a bit higher. I do have my GPU overclocked to 800/1600/1500 though. This is normal for such a high overclock. The GPU is capable of reaching around 100 and still being "safe" though I would not want my system running that hot.

Like my last post said, a notebook cooler is not going to really do anything productive for the G73 but cool the memory by a few degrees, because of the way the airflow is designed in the system.

I am not running anything but my web browser at the moment and my GPU temp is 56. This is PERFECTLY normal and acceptable, so I wouldn't fret on it too much if I were you.

Hemotherapy
01-26-2011, 10:00 AM
57-60 on the GPU is NOT ridiculous by any means. That is BARELY heating up the GPU at all. When I run demanding games on my JW, the temp on the GPU gets up to about 80, depending on what I am running sometimes a bit higher. I do have my GPU overclocked to 800/1600/1500 though. This is normal for such a high overclock. The GPU is capable of reaching around 100 and still being "safe" though I would not want my system running that hot.

Like my last post said, a notebook cooler is not going to really do anything productive for the G73 but cool the memory by a few degrees, because of the way the airflow is designed in the system.

I am not running anything but my web browser at the moment and my GPU temp is 56. This is PERFECTLY normal and acceptable, so I wouldn't fret on it too much if I were you.

Okay then! Good to know. I've had cards that 80 is natural while playing games, and cards where it was 50 or 60, didn't know what the normal operation temps for this one was, but if that's what it is, then I won't worry about it and I'll commense my OC'ing aswell!

What would be good temps for the CPU?

acheronx1
01-26-2011, 12:35 PM
Let me make my point then.

Waste of money would be if it did nothing in regards to temperature.

I DO notice a difference, though. It reduces the temperature around 10c WITH the cooler on. How is that a waste of money when it does help even by 5c or 10c?

If you don't have the spare money to buy something, there's no reason to say it's a waste of money if it works for other people. Right?

Personally, I make enough money to buy whatever I want. Even if it's not "cool". But if someone asks about a topic, I'll provide information instead of just saying it's a waste to buy. Let them decide if it's a waste to them.

That's my two cents.

acheronx1
01-26-2011, 12:40 PM

My GPU is at 800/1600/1500 as well. Maximum I've hit on stock cooling has been 74c.

CPU max was 80c. Overclocked to 1850. Stock 1730

Hemotherapy
01-26-2011, 01:05 PM
I hit 90 something on my GPU temp one time. I have 2 cats, and they love warm places, I have my Laptop by my 23" monitor and my desktop about 4-5 inches behind it. So my cats like to get behind there and lay down cause it's nice and warm, probelm is the bigger one I have blocks both vents so there's hardly any air being pushed out. I freaked out when it happend, god knows how long it was chilling at that temp. I was playing CoD Black Ops and all of a sudden my laptops monitor flashes, then goes completely white, and I'm all wth? Lemmie finish this round and I'll look at it. When I did, I see my cat just laying there all "Oh hai!". And that is my story of why I worry about temps.

Hemotherapy
01-26-2011, 01:07 PM
Let me make my point then.

Waste of money would be if it did nothing in regards to temperature.

I DO notice a difference, though. It reduces the temperature around 10c WITH the cooler on. How is that a waste of money when it does help even by 5c or 10c?

If you don't have the spare money to buy something, there's no reason to say it's a waste of money if it works for other people. Right?

Personally, I make enough money to buy whatever I want. Even if it's not "cool". But if someone asks about a topic, I'll provide information instead of just saying it's a waste to buy. Let them decide if it's a waste to them.

That's my two cents.

I too make enough money to not purchasing these things be a "real" waste, but it still irks me I spent $90 on something that really didn't do anything. I'll try the coolermaster one and see what happens, but I have a feeling you're just a lucky fellow with better ariflow than the rest of us and that I won't see the reduction in temps you're getting =(

acheronx1
01-26-2011, 01:11 PM
90c? That's pretty high. I know it's not very dangerous though. What settings do you use? Overclocked? Updated drivers?

If I recall: The maximum temperature the GTX 460M will reach before it shuts down is 120C, 110c you will get alerts every 30 seconds.

acbatchelor
01-26-2011, 01:12 PM
if it makes you feel better, my old HP laptop hovered between 60 and 65 when idle. it would heat up to over 70 just by browser the internet. if i watched a youtube video it would be around 80. i decided i would buy laptops with good cooling systems after that.

acheronx1
01-26-2011, 01:22 PM
I too make enough money to not purchasing these things be a "real" waste, but it still irks me I spent $90 on something that really didn't do anything. I'll try the coolermaster one and see what happens, but I have a feeling you're just a lucky fellow with better ariflow than the rest of us and that I won't see the reduction in temps you're getting =(

I totally understand what you mean.

I would investigate and fully research as much as possible before I buy something. The ThermalTake (I don't have CoolerMaster, that was my mistake before) was the best at the time with airflow and the massive fan hit the airholes on the laptop perfectly.

The Cryo has 3x 120mm fans, which *should* theoretically hit every spot on the laptop, which should help even more with airflow. I'm still trying to find out the CFM on the Cryo. But if you *do* want a laptop cooler, I'm fairly certain the Cryo will be the best choice at this time.

Hemotherapy
01-27-2011, 09:28 AM
90c? That's pretty high. I know it's not very dangerous though. What settings do you use? Overclocked? Updated drivers?

If I recall: The maximum temperature the GTX 460M will reach before it shuts down is 120C, 110c you will get alerts every 30 seconds.

90c with a cat blocking the vents :p

I beat both of them to near death when they get close to my laptop. Now if I could just get them to stop walking and sitting on the keyboard! :rolleyes:

Hemotherapy
01-27-2011, 09:31 AM
if it makes you feel better, my old HP laptop hovered between 60 and 65 when idle. it would heat up to over 70 just by browser the internet. if i watched a youtube video it would be around 80. i decided i would buy laptops with good cooling systems after that.

I had an old IBM thinkpad waaaay back in the day that was like that. My ghetto cooling system for it was propping it up on a CD case on each corner.

acheronx1
01-27-2011, 07:57 PM
You paid $90 for a cooling pad!? The most I've ever spent on one was $75 which was my ThermalTake one. Also note, a week after I bought it, they reduced the price to $50. I wasn't happy....

$70 for the Cryo one I'm going to get.

Hemotherapy
01-28-2011, 12:56 AM
You paid $90 for a cooling pad!? The most I've ever spent on one was $75 which was my ThermalTake one. Also note, a week after I bought it, they reduced the price to $50. I wasn't happy....

$70 for the Cryo one I'm going to get.

Lian Li...You pay for the name...:mad:

acheronx1
01-28-2011, 01:09 AM
I hope you got the ownership to their first born too. Lol.

chud333
01-28-2011, 03:02 AM
hi im new here just got my g7sjw a1 today from xotic. i got it with ten gigs of ddr3 and it blue screens out of the box i am quite sad about it to be honest. gonna call j p tomorrow and see what he can do about it. wish me luck

Hemotherapy
01-28-2011, 09:17 AM
hi im new here just got my g7sjw a1 today from xotic. i got it with ten gigs of ddr3 and it blue screens out of the box i am quite sad about it to be honest. gonna call j p tomorrow and see what he can do about it. wish me luck

That stinks. I too got 10 gegs of RAM on my A1, and had no problems at all. Good luck to you sir! Maybe there was a creeper hiding in your HDD and when you opened the box...BOOOOM!

Hemotherapy
01-28-2011, 09:19 AM
I hope you got the ownership to their first born too. Lol.

Well...the first notebook cooler I bought was from them aswell...But it was on special for $20 ;)

Maybe this is a Lian Li notebook cooler issue, not a my computer just doesn't respond to them thing...hmmm:eeek2:

chud333
01-29-2011, 12:16 AM
That stinks. I too got 10 gegs of RAM on my A1, and had no problems at all. Good luck to you sir! Maybe there was a creeper hiding in your HDD and when you opened the box...BOOOOM!

it had a faulty ram stick and a whole host of other problems i am gonna return it for a totally different machine this one has to be jinxed heck it cant play minecraft without stalling out :(:(

kwolf1964
01-29-2011, 04:31 PM
Greetings. I just got my G73JW and have already intalled an SSD for primary and simply love it!

I got the G73JW-XA1 version from Amazon. Currently I have the following setup:

12GB RAM
60GB SSD Primary drive G.SKILL Phoenix Series FM-25S2S-60GBP1
750GB Secondary/data HDD (came with system)
Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium

I am using a Logitech G500 mouse as I loathe touchpads.

Primary use: EVE Online.

acheronx1
01-29-2011, 06:48 PM
Something about buying it from Amazon doesn't make me think you'll stick around here much.

99% bought theirs from Xotic, I'm pretty sure.

But glad you're happy with your G73JW though.

scar
01-29-2011, 06:50 PM
I read around and it seems the Redline Boost option isn't necessary. Can anyone help me out with this please?

Also, should I opt for a matte screen? I've seen that the glossy screen isn't a big deal but I wanted to get some more opinions on it. Thanks.

I just realized I didn't post this in the SW thread, my bad!

acheronx1
01-29-2011, 06:53 PM
I'm not sure what exactly they would do for Redline Boost.

There isn't anything posted what they do for that.

Maybe we can poke one of them for some threads regarding it?

Hemotherapy
01-31-2011, 10:46 AM
I read around and it seems the Redline Boost option isn't necessary. Can anyone help me out with this please?

Also, should I opt for a matte screen? I've seen that the glossy screen isn't a big deal but I wanted to get some more opinions on it. Thanks.

I just realized I didn't post this in the SW thread, my bad!

If you're still around to read this, go for the Matte.

I thought glossy would be nice, but with my OCD I find myself cleaning the screen too much. I bought a 23" LED monitor for this puppy when I use it at home, and it's Matte. The difference in depth of color and what not is in the eye of the beholder. I think my matte screen looks great, and it's easy to keep clean (or atleast looks clean long enough before I freak out and have to clean it)

Hemotherapy
01-31-2011, 10:48 AM
I'm not sure what exactly they would do for Redline Boost.

There isn't anything posted what they do for that.

Maybe we can poke one of them for some threads regarding it?

Many have tried in the past, but maybe you can get something out of them!

It's probably nothing more than a glorified "Twin Turbo" mode. I like how Asus advertises that 7% OC. I thought it would have been something like 15% because of that dramatic gauge animation they used in the video for this laptop!

acheronx1
01-31-2011, 11:48 AM
Twin Turbo does give a tad boost to the CPU FSB. Stock is 1730 MHz, the turbo boost bumps it up to 1850 MHz.

I use a program called setFSB along with Turbo Boost and I can pump up my CPU to around 1925 MHz without any issues.

I think more people would purchase Redline Boost if we actually knew what they improved to increase performance. Right?

scar
01-31-2011, 03:13 PM
I am still here, thanks for the answer!

Hemotherapy
01-31-2011, 09:30 PM
Twin Turbo does give a tad boost to the CPU FSB. Stock is 1730 MHz, the turbo boost bumps it up to 1850 MHz.

I use a program called setFSB along with Turbo Boost and I can pump up my CPU to around 1925 MHz without any issues.

I think more people would purchase Redline Boost if we actually knew what they improved to increase performance. Right?

Why not go for the extra 75Mhz? ;)

powerpack
01-31-2011, 09:44 PM
Why not go for the extra 75Mhz? ;)Why not? Because the Intel turbo boost already does.

I get better benches not doing turbo.;)

acheronx1
01-31-2011, 09:52 PM
I found 1850 to be perfect for gaming, 1925 for application usage. Using either or, sometimes caused stuttering.

Zippie44
01-31-2011, 10:25 PM
thanks, that helped me a lot! regards, chantal

littleark94
01-31-2011, 10:31 PM
Hey everyone, i just got myself a G73jw and im loving it and hating it...

It is not running WoW very well at all. I am barely getting 20fps... i spent close to 2 grand and it cant run WoW? Whats the deal?

What do i need to do to optimize this to run it smooth?

Keeper
01-31-2011, 10:34 PM
Hey everyone, i just got myself a G73jw and im loving it and hating it...

It is not running WoW very well at all. I am barely getting 20fps... i spent close to 2 grand and it cant run WoW? Whats the deal?

What do i need to do to optimize this to run it smooth?

This may be a silly question, but is it plugged in? I only get about 30 fps in wow max settings when it is not plugged in, but when it is I get around 60-70.

littleark94
01-31-2011, 10:40 PM
This may be a silly question, but is it plugged in? I only get about 30 fps in wow max settings when it is not plugged in, but when it is I get around 60-70.

Uh, well right now it has not been because i'm conditioning the battery, but wow i never thought of that.

I'll have to see... but im still not even getting 30fps not plugged in.

I read somewhere that you have to modify the cores to run WoW smoothly... but why the hell would i need to do that? The reason i read was because WoW is mainly CPU dependent, and running at all 7 cores at 1.7ghz or whatever it is, is not sufficient for WoW. you need at least 2.3ghz or something to run WoW smoothly.

Should this game not work without much tweaking?

acheronx1
01-31-2011, 10:43 PM
Have you updated the graphic card? I would suggest using the 266.43 version from laptopvideo2go.com

Also, are you using the momentus XT hybrid HDD?

Plugging the laptop in WILL increase performance. It doesn't run games that well on battery (even if you're on battery mode).

littleark94
01-31-2011, 10:43 PM
Okay, when its plugged in i only get 30fps in stormwind when not around people.

When i get to the auction house area it drops to like 16fps or lower.

I read that people were playing it maxed and getting 60fps in dalaran, not sure how legit that is but a 2grand laptop should be able to play that.

acheronx1
01-31-2011, 10:47 PM
You're comparing a laptop to people who play on desktops and probably other people who have tweaked their laptops.

If you give us specs on what you have, along with any updates you have done, that can help us figure out ways to improve it.

littleark94
01-31-2011, 10:47 PM
Have you updated the graphic card? I would suggest using the 266.43 version from laptopvideo2go.com

Also, are you using the momentus XT hybrid HDD?

Plugging the laptop in WILL increase performance. It doesn't run games that well on battery (even if you're on battery mode).

Okay, so updated the graphics card but not to your version. I updated to 266.58.

Should i revert it and update to 266.43?

No idea what momentus XT hybrid HDD is. I am using Data D in my computer.

Keeper
01-31-2011, 10:49 PM

I read that people were playing it maxed and getting 60fps in dalaran, not sure how legit that is but a 2grand laptop should be able to play that.

I have the SW model and I can attest to the 60fps on maxed out settings. The only things I have lowered is Multisampling is at 1, and texture filtering is set to trillinear. But I am getting 45fps in org right now during peak hours.

Keeper
01-31-2011, 10:50 PM
Okay, so updated the graphics card but not to your version. I updated to 266.58.

Should i revert it and update to 266.43?

No idea what momentus XT hybrid HDD is. I am using Data D in my computer.

It is a type of HDD, partition does not matter, can you look at your list and see what you ordered for hard drive?

littleark94
01-31-2011, 10:58 PM
It is a type of HDD, partition does not matter, can you look at your list and see what you ordered for hard drive?

Okay, well i have 500GB + 500GB and i bought it from a store. In device manager only thing i pick up is:
ST9500420AS

You're comparing a laptop to people who play on desktops and probably other people who have tweaked their laptops.

If you give us specs on what you have, along with any updates you have done, that can help us figure out ways to improve it.

Okay, well i just got it yesterday and using it for the first time now.

Only thing i have updated is:
Nvidia driver to 266.58.
I got rid of a lot of bloatware as well.

Here are the specs:
i7-740QM, 1.73GHz
Nvidia Geforce GTX 460M 1.5GB
Hard Disk: 500gb + 500gb
4x Blu-ray
Memory - 8GB

littleark94
02-01-2011, 07:21 AM
One other thing maybe you guys can help me with.

The sound playing through my headphones is horrible compared to my old laptop. I am going to update my realtek driver and see if it works any better, but do i have to configure any settings to get the sound working good?

And please don't get frustrated with me, i'm not the best with computers but my plan is to learn a lot.

Hemotherapy
02-01-2011, 09:59 AM
One other thing maybe you guys can help me with.

The sound playing through my headphones is horrible compared to my old laptop. I am going to update my realtek driver and see if it works any better, but do i have to configure any settings to get the sound working good?

And please don't get frustrated with me, i'm not the best with computers but my plan is to learn a lot.

I run wow no probs with my settings. 50 fps+ in SW. This is at 1920x1080 resolution.

1. Make sure it's plugged in, when not plugged in, to save energy, the CPU and GPU throttle back their power.

2. You can't play with Shadow Quality at Ultra. It has to be at Good. Anything higher gives building dynamic shading/shadows. If you REALLY need that, then enjoy the frames you're getting, places like ellewyn will be a beyotch if you're playing at 1920x1080 reso. If you lower it, I'm sure you can run wow at full settings without a hitch then. Also, if you're using your VGA or HDMI out for a 2nd screen, that's not helping ;p

3. This is a laptop, not a desktop. Mobile versions of video cards aren't usually as powerful as their desktop counterparts. Even so, the 460M is like...not even a new card at all in terms of what generation Desktop cards are on.

My Asus G73 is about the equiv of my Desktop, with a bit more powerful video card. I have an OC'd 2.4 to 3.0 Quad core, 2 Gigs of Ram (FFFUUUUUU 32 bit), and an ATi 4850 (3 or so generations behind on what we're at now). I can play WoW at full settings with 1280x1020 reso without a spike in frames, probably could play it higher than that, I was limited to that rate due to my monitor, I'll have to test it on my new monitor that all 1920x1080 when I get home now that I think of this..

Don't expect super omfg frames on any gaming laptop, you can't fit a desktop into a laptop without cutting a few corners ;)

Hemotherapy
02-01-2011, 10:14 AM

Remember, just because people quote 60 fps with the same computer you have doesn't mean they're on the same settings you're on. Some people might be playing at a lower resolution, or with tweaked settings. Like me for instance when I replied earlier, everything is maxed, except multisampling is at 4x not 8x, and I play with "good" shadow quality.

Hemotherapy
02-01-2011, 10:17 AM
I have the SW model and I can attest to the 60fps on maxed out settings. The only things I have lowered is Multisampling is at 1, and texture filtering is set to trillinear. But I am getting 45fps in org right now during peak hours.

I've got mine on 4x and 16x, and I can attest to 50 frames in SW during peak hours. Obviously it's not as crammed as org is there, but still a lot of hustle and bustle.

I'll have to try running at trillinear, because that's just for texture edge smoothing right?

Hemotherapy
02-01-2011, 10:44 AM
Another thing that will help us a lot is when WoW finally starts running off of DX11. I think there's a way to cheat and get it to work right now, and I did it one day, but after an Asus live update my computer freaked out and started running at 800x600 reso and I couldn't change it so I did a restoral back before I tweaked it to get DX11 to run with wow. People have reported about a 20% increase in frames by running things on DX11. I can atest to that because I played AvP on single player for awhile with DX9 or something, and I'd get 25 frames at full settings, and playing online was tough so I had to throttle it down a bit, but with DX11, full settings, no problem. 35+ frames now

BladeDog
02-01-2011, 07:57 PM
Waiting for my G73JW 3DE in Phase 2 Prod, ordered placed on the 25th Jan, 2011. I’ve read some of the threads the members had been posting about their machines, and I’m getting a pretty good idea that this was a good investment purchasing a laptop from ASUS, can’t wait to get my hands on minds.

Display: 17.3" FHD 16:9 "Matte Type" Super Clear Ultra Bright LED Screen (1920x1080) 120Hz 3D Ready
- Processor: - Intel® Core™ i7-840QM, 1.86-3.2GHz, (45nm, 8MB L3 cache)
- Graphics Video Card: nVidia GeForce GTX 460M 1,536MB PCI-Express GDDR5 DX11
- Ram: 16,384MB (16GB) DDR3 1333MHz Dual Channel Memory (4x4GB)-
- Exterior Finish: Custom Fitted Laptop Back LCD Skin
- ASUS G Series Afterburner™ FX: Blue Afterburner LED Light Package
- XOTICFX ASUS G Series LCD Light Bar: Red LED Light Bar (Below LCD)
- XOTICFX Backlit Keyboard: Cobalt Blue Backlit Keyboard Modification
- XOTICFX Backlit W-A-S-D Key Color Options: Flame Red WASD Keys
- Optical Drive: 4X Blu-Ray Writer/Reader + 8X DVDRW/CDRW Super Multi Combo Drive-
- Primary Hard Drive: - 750GB 7200RPM 16MB Cache Buffer (Serial-ATA II 3GB/s)
- Second Hard Drive: - 750GB 7200RPM 16MB Cache Buffer (Serial-ATA II 3GB/s)
- Wireless Network: Intel® Ultimate-N 6300 - 802.11A/B/G/N Wireless LAN Module (Includes 3rd Antenna)
- XOTIC PC Redline Boost™ Extreme Performance

:XPCS:ASUS G73JW-3DE

littleark94
02-01-2011, 09:01 PM
Haha thanks for the replies fellas.

Don't expect super omfg frames on any gaming laptop, you can't fit a desktop into a laptop without cutting a few corners

Lol i know! But its WoW.... it should be able to handle that.

Good thing is that everything is working fine now. My graphics card, my sound, everything is good.
Only thing i cannot access is the webcam... driver is there but no idea how to get it turned on. fail :(

I am running WoW maxed on everything but shadow on good.
getting 50-60fps in stormwind with people around. So i'm happy.

Hemotherapy
02-02-2011, 10:58 AM
Haha thanks for the replies fellas.

Lol i know! But its WoW.... it should be able to handle that.

Good thing is that everything is working fine now. My graphics card, my sound, everything is good.
Only thing i cannot access is the webcam... driver is there but no idea how to get it turned on. fail :(

I am running WoW maxed on everything but shadow on good.
getting 50-60fps in stormwind with people around. So i'm happy.

Yeah, even I was kinda "awww...wtf" with the shadow quality. But after thinking about it do I REALLY care if tree's shadows are more defined, and if building have shading on the sides of them? Not really. As long as I can see red names and can ambush and backstab them, with decent frames, I'm good ;)

Hemotherapy
02-02-2011, 11:01 AM
Waiting for my G73JW 3DE in Phase 2 Prod, ordered placed on the 25th Jan, 2011. Ive read some of the threads the members had been posting about their machines, and Im getting a pretty good idea that this was a good investment purchasing a laptop from ASUS, cant wait to get my hands on minds.

Display: 17.3" FHD 16:9 "Matte Type" Super Clear Ultra Bright LED Screen (1920x1080) 120Hz 3D Ready
- Processor: - Intel Core i7-840QM, 1.86-3.2GHz, (45nm, 8MB L3 cache)
- Graphics Video Card: nVidia GeForce GTX 460M 1,536MB PCI-Express GDDR5 DX11
- Ram: 16,384MB (16GB) DDR3 1333MHz Dual Channel Memory (4x4GB)-
- Exterior Finish: Custom Fitted Laptop Back LCD Skin
- ASUS G Series Afterburner FX: Blue Afterburner LED Light Package
- XOTICFX ASUS G Series LCD Light Bar: Red LED Light Bar (Below LCD)
- XOTICFX Backlit Keyboard: Cobalt Blue Backlit Keyboard Modification
- XOTICFX Backlit W-A-S-D Key Color Options: Flame Red WASD Keys
- Optical Drive: 4X Blu-Ray Writer/Reader + 8X DVDRW/CDRW Super Multi Combo Drive-
- Primary Hard Drive: - 750GB 7200RPM 16MB Cache Buffer (Serial-ATA II 3GB/s)
- Second Hard Drive: - 750GB 7200RPM 16MB Cache Buffer (Serial-ATA II 3GB/s)
- Wireless Network: Intel Ultimate-N 6300 - 802.11A/B/G/N Wireless LAN Module (Includes 3rd Antenna)
- XOTIC PC Redline Boost Extreme Performance

:XPCS:ASUS G73JW-3DE

Very nice!

and it most certainly is a good idea. I priced out what the setup I got with Asus would have cost through a popular "out of this world" brand, and it was like 800-900 more, and even then I couldn't get 10 Gigs of RAM put in, only 8. And I've seen those brands of laptops upfront, they're clunky and very thick, the Asus looks paper thin compared to them, one could say they look "alien" sitting next to a G73.

Hemotherapy
02-02-2011, 07:08 PM
Got some info on Coolers/What the Redline boost feature is. See below.

Whats up with my notebook cooler not doing any kind of cooling for me? I heard rumors that the air isn't drawn from below at all, is this why my 2 notebook coolers I bought don't really do anything for my temps?

Mostly this has to do with where the computer draws its air. You know the space behind the back of the screen and that funky shaped lip where the screen ends? That is where its air is drawn in, and is sucked down like a funnel across the CPU and GPU and then pushed back out the exhausts. It doesn’t draw its air from the bottom so the notebook cooler really wouldn’t do much except keep the hard drives a bit cooler. Despite that I am in a habit of using a notebook cooler and I still use one on my G73jw.

Just what IS the Redline Boost upgrade? There's been a few people tossing around the question, some of them tossing around their ideas, but nothing stated per a member of xoticpc. So what is it?!

Did you purchase it? It loads a program called MSI afterburner to your computer and we overclock your GPU for you. It means that we support the OC for you and if something goes wrong we assist with it and it won’t void your warranty. Our techs specifically run tests to balance out the overclock and your thermals + system stability. If you purchased this let me know and I can walk you through using it and give you confirmation of what the standard safe clocks are. If you are overclocking this computer the IC diamond upgrade choice was an even smarter one for you to make. (I asked a question about the thermal compound before I asked him this question)

The thermal compound question was about how I'm not really seeing a huge difference in temps on my unit versus the unit they had in their video review. He gave me a very good answer as to why it is still a solid buy!

In general the cooling in this laptop is so good that a thermal compound upgrade doesn’t show its true colors right away. The place where you benefit from is the actual usable life of a thermal paste. The standard ceramic strip that Asus uses on the actual chipset has a usable life of about 6-9 months before you start to see temps rise. IC diamond is more like 24-30 months before you see any sort of noticeable rise in temperatures. So with this laptop while you may not see the benefits of it right now, you will in the future. Plus your load cooling is going to be where you see it now anyway. When your computer is under a full load the IC diamond in our tests dropped temps in the neighborhood of 5-7 C overall. Which isn’t quite as drastic as the normal 10-12C we see on other machines, but the cooling on this laptop is fantastic to begin with.

Hope this helps, I'll post this as its own thread now just for those buyers who troll the forum but don't dig deep enough into these multi-page owners threads to find stuff like this.

GabrielP
02-03-2011, 04:20 AM
Yeah, even I was kinda "awww...wtf" with the shadow quality. But after thinking about it do I REALLY care if tree's shadows are more defined, and if building have shading on the sides of them? Not really. As long as I can see red names and can ambush and backstab them, with decent frames, I'm good ;)
Pfft roag :P

littleark94
02-03-2011, 07:37 AM

Haha who really cares about shadows when everything else is on ultra :)

But anyways, the only thing that is not working is the webcam. How to i get it working?

powerpack
02-03-2011, 08:00 AM
Fn-v?
10char

acheronx1
02-03-2011, 12:00 PM
You can get the webcam drivers from the ASUS website, or from the Drivers CD that you get when purchasing the laptop.

Give that a shot, and if it's still not working, we can try some other options.

Hemotherapy
02-03-2011, 12:59 PM
Haha who really cares about shadows when everything else is on ultra :)

But anyways, the only thing that is not working is the webcam. How to i get it working?

This true. As long as everything else is Ultra the game still looks pretty =) the shading just makes it look more "Real" not "prettier".

As for the webcam, make sure you have the drivers for it, you can find them somewhere on the asus website, don't ask me where cause I hate using that PoS system they have for finding drivers.

What good is a webcam for anyway? The only thing I ever remotely tried to use it for was to use that smart logon thing, and it didn't even work!

Hemotherapy
02-03-2011, 01:02 PM
Pfft roag :P

Hemotherapy's Ambush crits you for 20,432 damage
You are afflicted with Hemotherapy's Kidney Shot
Hemotherapy's Backstab crits you for 18,483 damage
Hemotherapy's Backstab crits you for 19,002 damage
Hemotherapy's Backstab crits you for 17,908 damage
Hemotherapy's Backstab crits you for 18,607 damage
You die
Hemotherapy tea bags you

That's all I do all day in WoW

acheronx1
02-03-2011, 01:08 PM
Forums turned into WoW...

Ewwww.... :P

Hemotherapy
02-03-2011, 06:33 PM
Forums turned into WoW...

Ewwww.... :P

WoW is the best thing for them to turn into :p

powerpack
02-03-2011, 06:46 PM
Just drink the Kool Aid Kid's!

acheronx1
02-03-2011, 06:51 PM
We thought we got rid of all you 'kind after the Sandy Bridge recall..... :p

Hemotherapy
02-04-2011, 09:43 AM
Just drink the Kool Aid Kid's!

Don't make me GSOD you!

GabrielP
02-04-2011, 12:51 PM
Hemotherapy's Ambush crits you for 20,432 damage
You are afflicted with Hemotherapy's Kidney Shot
Hemotherapy's Backstab crits you for 18,483 damage
Hemotherapy's Backstab crits you for 19,002 damage
Hemotherapy's Backstab crits you for 17,908 damage
Hemotherapy's Backstab crits you for 18,607 damage
You die
Hemotherapy tea bags you

That's all I do all day in WoW
Bet your a peeeerty gnome lady with pink hair :D

acheronx1
02-04-2011, 02:04 PM
You have something against gnomes? Go get 'em PP!

Hemotherapy
02-04-2011, 03:33 PM
Bet your a peeeerty gnome lady with pink hair :D

I'm a peeeeeerty human lady with blonde hair:biggrin:

averof
02-05-2011, 10:54 AM
hey guys,

I picked up an ASUS g73jw-a1 two weeks ago, which has 2 500gig seagate momentus 7200.4 drives, and I've noticed this noise recently...intermittent clicking when idle, about every 3-10 seconds, often accompanied by a higher pitch sound like a whine. The noises are generally pretty quiet, but loud enough to be heard when working under quiet conditions.

After a lot of reading around, I've found that this noise seems to be a common occurence with this hdd.. but most people experiencing it have had some kind of lag on their pc that coincides with the noise.

My system seems perfectly functional.

The noise has me concerned though and I haven't really been able to come up with anything solid in my searches, other than most possible causes of the noise seem to be bad things. I've been running the seatools tests, which have been coming up clean, and I noticed the firmware update is 0003SDM1.

I've been reluctant to start messing with settings and hdd programs I have no understanding of. Warranty is the last option, but why would asus or seagate give me new hardware if their tests come clean. Though I'll still try anyway if all else fails.

Just trying to figure out whether this is a problem or not. The noise is kind of annoying too.

Any help would be appreciated. I posted on the seagate forums too, but I'm not sure if this is purely a hdd thing or related to the asus setup somehow.

Hemotherapy
02-07-2011, 03:23 PM
hey guys,

I picked up an ASUS g73jw-a1 two weeks ago, which has 2 500gig seagate momentus 7200.4 drives, and I've noticed this noise recently...intermittent clicking when idle, about every 3-10 seconds, often accompanied by a higher pitch sound like a whine. The noises are generally pretty quiet, but loud enough to be heard when working under quiet conditions.

After a lot of reading around, I've found that this noise seems to be a common occurence with this hdd.. but most people experiencing it have had some kind of lag on their pc that coincides with the noise.

My system seems perfectly functional.

The noise has me concerned though and I haven't really been able to come up with anything solid in my searches, other than most possible causes of the noise seem to be bad things. I've been running the seatools tests, which have been coming up clean, and I noticed the firmware update is 0003SDM1.

I've been reluctant to start messing with settings and hdd programs I have no understanding of. Warranty is the last option, but why would asus or seagate give me new hardware if their tests come clean. Though I'll still try anyway if all else fails.

Just trying to figure out whether this is a problem or not. The noise is kind of annoying too.

Any help would be appreciated. I posted on the seagate forums too, but I'm not sure if this is purely a hdd thing or related to the asus setup somehow.

Since I don't know how to fix that, I would suggest just playing with cotton balls in your ears.;)

dan1619889
02-08-2011, 09:03 PM
Hi guys, I have one question to you all, how do you recomend me to use my laptop, and how do you use your laptop? plugged to the power with the battery on, or I should use it plugged to the power without the battery on? thax.

It is a GREAT machine...!

Hemotherapy
02-10-2011, 09:25 AM
Hi guys, I have one question to you all, how do you recomend me to use my laptop, and how do you use your laptop? plugged to the power with the battery on, or I should use it plugged to the power without the battery on? thax.

It is a GREAT machine...!

I use mine, plugged in with the battery on. Not sure if that's the proper way to do it, but it's what I do.

vai1296
02-11-2011, 10:58 AM
sigh i hate this waiting time...Ordered on the 7th its still in phase two! i want it now!!! have all the led lighting so mayb another week till i get it you think?

vai1296
02-11-2011, 10:59 AM
BTW what should i do when i first get it? i normally do the windows updates...what is recommended i do...backup? windows updates? remove programs i dont need? test everything? also want to Overclock but dont know how! sigh im a comp noob =/

Hemotherapy
02-11-2011, 12:17 PM
BTW what should i do when i first get it? i normally do the windows updates...what is recommended i do...backup? windows updates? remove programs i dont need? test everything? also want to Overclock but dont know how! sigh im a comp noob =/

1. Unwrap it
2. Boot it up
3. Run the Asus Live update til you get to the one where all it's trying to do is update the video drivers (I forgot what version it is, I'll update this post when I get home with it), DO NOT install it, after you reach that point never do anything with Asus live update again. (This is my opinion, because that update that's doing something with the video driver craps mine out and makes the highest reso avail 1024x960 or something stupid like that, I had to do 2 system restores to fix it the both times I let it download that update)
3 1/2. There are some updated video drivers you may want to grab aswell, I believe it's 260.58 or something like that, there is a 260.99 out there, but you have to do a little cheat to get them to install, I tried it, couldn't get it to work, so I stuck with my 260.58 drivers, god knows what I had before, but the ones I had before installing the 260.58 worked just fine without problems, the only problem I had was getting DX11 to work with AvP on Steam, I think steam did the update to DX11 for me, and viola, that was all I needed to do in the video card department.
4. Backup was not needed for me, I paid $15 for them to make them for me
5. Remove the programs you don't need or want, and run msconfig to take stuff off the Startup that you don't want starting when you boot up (don't eff with anything that you don't know for sure what it is)
6. Install all your stuff you want/need, use it, test it, make sure everything works okay.
6 1/2. I'd install MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) as it's a really good firewall.
7. MSI Afterburner is a good piece of software that you can use to OC your GPU (Video Card), it's easy to use, 3 sliding bars, just don't turn up the GPU past 800 I believe, and I have the memory set to the highest.
8. Turn on Twin Turbo Mode as that does a CPU OC for you, you shouldn't need more than that, and if you do any more OC'ing on the CPU, gl with your temps, hope you put thermal paste on it.
9. ???
10. Profit!

And I'm a comp novice, there are other regulars on these forums that would have more and or better advice for you, but this is what I did with mine, and it runs everything nice and purdy for me :)

vai1296
02-12-2011, 02:22 PM
Thank you so much Hemotherapy (http://www.xoticpcforums.com/member.php?u=16198). That was by far the best breakdown of "how to" anyone ever gave. I believe I will need some help OCing the rig once I get it since I have never done OC before. All these terms are new to me and will appreciate any assistance given :notworthy

powerpack
02-12-2011, 03:04 PM
Hemo is correct about the MSI after burner being very straight forward. Combine it with Kombuster to test stability. Both are just MSI branded variations of other utilities, Afterburner being Riva Tuner. I like the MSI GUI so if you don't have a preference yet I would use MSI. Hemo mentioned some clocks to try. While it sounds like he does have the high end numbers correct always a good idea to start lower and work up. All GPU's do not OC the same.

On the "Twin Turbo" I would be very careful. In concern about damage but if it even helps. It actually slows my CPU down. Not an amount that can be seen other than with a utility but if no gain why do? My 720QM is 1.6GHz but when I run wPrime set at 8 threads so all cores are maxed. The Intel Turbo Boost upclocks to 1.73GHz. With Twin Turbo it sets the base at 1.7GHz and won't upclock, I assume the OC changes the thermal profile.

If you do want to OC setfsb works. I can get 2GHz on mine with all cores 100% some get higher each chip is different. Setfsb is free MoralHazard posted a download for the PLL you need. If you are interested at some point post back and I will find.

No reason to do everything or even anything when you first get. I always play with firs to get a feel for and make sure all works good for a little while. Then I do things incrementally and get a feel for how it goes. This gives me a better shot at identifying what issue might be if I do have. If get and right away make 10 changes and have issues it gets very hard to identify what might be the cause.

Good luck I have had my G73 for about 10 months, I like it very much. It just stopped working I stressed my adapter plug too much so need to get new. Just be careful not to stress the plug and you will be fine.

scar
02-12-2011, 07:50 PM
Is the mouse that comes with this laptop the same as SW? I'm getting the SW and I want to know if the mouse is cordless.

powerpack
02-12-2011, 09:51 PM
The stock is not wireless.

acheronx1
02-12-2011, 09:57 PM
If you are going to use MSI Afterburner, the SAFE settings (max performance) I would say would be 800/1600/1500 (the numbers to the right side of the slider bars).

I would say you don't need to OC your CPU. The Twin Turbo mode is capable enough to give you that extra "oompf" to whatever you need boosted. In benchmarking tests, I didn't find too much of a performance increase when comparing pure OC to a pure Twin Turbo setting.

vai1296
02-13-2011, 11:45 PM
Thanks acheronx1 (http://www.xoticpcforums.com/member.php?u=15465) n Power...i keep checking xotic to see if it has moved from stage 2! i really hate this waiting game =(

vai1296
02-14-2011, 11:40 AM
BTW...have any of you upgraded your ram or changed it for a different one for G73JW-3DE?
I see an option for this "16,384MB (16GB) DDR3 1600MHz CL9 Kingston Hyper-X Dual Channel Memory (4x4GB) [Please Review Laptop Specs for Supported Memory Speeds". Not really sure where the laptop specs are xoticpc...I'm not saying I want to get 16gb because it's def not needed for me but I would like to know if i can at least put 8gb of 1600 instead of the 8gb i have of 1333? I'm guessing it would make a huge diff?
Please let me know if I can add the 1600 ram to 740 processor...if so which brand, and if you could hook me up with a website that sells it =) ...I know I have way too many questions but I thank you in advance as I'm new to this

Hemotherapy
02-14-2011, 12:51 PM
Good luck I have had my G73 for about 10 months, I like it very much. It just stopped working I stressed my adapter plug too much so need to get new. Just be careful not to stress the plug and you will be fine.

What do you mean by stress the plug?

Hemotherapy
02-14-2011, 12:58 PM
BTW...have any of you upgraded your ram or changed it for a different one for G73JW-3DE?
I see an option for this "16,384MB (16GB) DDR3 1600MHz CL9 Kingston Hyper-X Dual Channel Memory (4x4GB) [Please Review Laptop Specs for Supported Memory Speeds". Not really sure where the laptop specs are xoticpc...I'm not saying I want to get 16gb because it's def not needed for me but I would like to know if i can at least put 8gb of 1600 instead of the 8gb i have of 1333? I'm guessing it would make a huge diff?
Please let me know if I can add the 1600 ram to 740 processor...if so which brand, and if you could hook me up with a website that sells it =) ...I know I have way too many questions but I thank you in advance as I'm new to this

I -think- the 1600 RAM should work, just make sure when you're buying it you buy dual channel RAM. Also, upgrading the RAM in the 4th slot of this machine is kind of a pain, you basically have to disassemble it to get to the fourth slot, so if you can, I'd take the upgrade through Xotic.

vai1296
02-15-2011, 10:18 AM
So i googled some rams and i found these (Please let me know if these are worth the price or if i can find something cheaper/better...
https://www.techsonhandstore.com/product_info.php?products_id=60336&utm_source=google-simple&utm_medium=product_search&utm_campaign=google-simple

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Dominator-PC3-12800-1600MHz-CMT4GX3M2A1600C6/dp/B003C504V0

http://www.frys.com/product/6487402

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Dominator-PC3-12800-240-pinDual-CMT4GX3M2A1600C7/dp/tech-data/B00380DGSC

vai1296
02-15-2011, 10:20 AM
Also, since the lappy has 2x of these hard drives...should i swap out the main on with a regular ssd or any other (always open for suggestions...LOOKING for suggestions i should say) =)

500GB (w/ 4GB SSD Memory) Seagate XT 7200RPM NCQ Hybrid 32MB Cache (Serial-ATA II 3GB/s)

Hemotherapy
02-15-2011, 01:01 PM
So i googled some rams and i found these (Please let me know if these are worth the price or if i can find something cheaper/better...
https://www.techsonhandstore.com/product_info.php?products_id=60336&utm_source=google-simple&utm_medium=product_search&utm_campaign=google-simple

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Dominator-PC3-12800-1600MHz-CMT4GX3M2A1600C6/dp/B003C504V0

http://www.frys.com/product/6487402

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Dominator-PC3-12800-240-pinDual-CMT4GX3M2A1600C7/dp/tech-data/B00380DGSC

Uhm...hope you didn't make a compulsive purchase, cause good luck making it fit!

That sir, is desktop RAM. Laptops use a SO-DIMM module for their RAM, much smaller. Back in the day...like way back in the day, some laptops did use dekstop sized RAM, but not anymore.

You'd wanna be looking for something like this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104230

There's also 2 gig sticks available aswell.

Hemotherapy
02-15-2011, 01:04 PM
Also, since the lappy has 2x of these hard drives...should i swap out the main on with a regular ssd or any other (always open for suggestions...LOOKING for suggestions i should say) =)

500GB (w/ 4GB SSD Memory) Seagate XT 7200RPM NCQ Hybrid 32MB Cache (Serial-ATA II 3GB/s)

I would go for a SS drive, I got one in mine and love it. OCZ has the biggest choice selection right now, but I'm a big Western Digital whore so I'd try to get one from them. The one I got was the one off xotic, the 120 gig OCZ SSD. Neve really had too many products from them, and a buddy of mine gave me static about how it'll crap out in 6 months, so we'll see....:wideeyed:

vai1296
02-15-2011, 03:16 PM
O no, Hemotherapy...i hope it lasts you a lot longer =) ...Would you be able to find me a really good one for my laptop G73JW-3DE ? I know i can find thins but just don't know what things fit...well you can see i was about to buy desktop ram =/ lols

vai1296
02-15-2011, 03:18 PM
Uhm...hope you didn't make a compulsive purchase, cause good luck making it fit!

That sir, is desktop RAM. Laptops use a SO-DIMM module for their RAM, much smaller. Back in the day...like way back in the day, some laptops did use dekstop sized RAM, but not anymore.

You'd wanna be looking for something like this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104230

There's also 2 gig sticks available aswell.

BTW had no idea that it was so damn cheap $99 for 2 4gb?!?! Sorry but I do not know if that is the running price or not but to me thats pretty good :biggrin:

What if i wanted the best of the best? How much would that be?:wink2:

Hemotherapy
02-15-2011, 03:31 PM
BTW had no idea that it was so damn cheap $99 for 2 4gb?!?! Sorry but I do not know if that is the running price or not but to me thats pretty good :biggrin:

What if i wanted the best of the best? How much would that be?:wink2:

Mmm..that's Kingston which is a reliable brand, and it's 1600 speed, so that's the best of the best basically.

RAM has really dropped in price in the last few years, more supply than demand I guess. That and hardware is finally catching up to software...so people aren't buy the super OMFG X-TREME video cards as much, or buying buttloads of RAM, or super duper processors. Years ago, you'd have to buy the best of the best to be able to play average MMO's and FPS's (save for things like crysis which was ahead of its time!), now-a-days that's just not the case. You can buy 2nd to 3rd generation stuff and it'll run basically any game thats out right now. Sure it might not play it at 1920x1080 with full ultra settings and x8 Multisampling and 16x AA, but it can handle smaller reso's at those settings, and full ultra settings ad 1920x1080 without all the multisampling and stuff.

Long story short, you don't have to buy the best of the best to get a good gaming rig like you use to, so it's cheaper to buy lower tier stuff and upgrade from that, than to keep on buying to latest and greatest every year, and with people holding on to their hardware longer, because it still works and plays the games they play without problems, prices on stuff like this has dropped.

Well, that's my opinion or thought on it anyway, I could be completely wrong:biggrin:

vai1296
02-15-2011, 03:48 PM
That was the best damn thing someone has honestly told me...thanks Hemotherapy! So am still waiting for my laptop and it was ordered on the 7th and went on stage 2 the same day..its now the 15th...should i wait to get my laptop before i go ahead and order the ram? Do i even need the 1600 ram? I have the 8gb 1333 ram that comes with the system so if i get this ram i will have a 2gb 1333 ram and 2x 4gb 1600 ram...can that be done?

Keeper
02-15-2011, 03:58 PM
That was the best damn thing someone has honestly told me...thanks Hemotherapy! So am still waiting for my laptop and it was ordered on the 7th and went on stage 2 the same day..its now the 15th...should i wait to get my laptop before i go ahead and order the ram? Do i even need the 1600 ram? I have the 8gb 1333 ram that comes with the system so if i get this ram i will have a 2gb 1333 ram and 2x 4gb 1600 ram...can that be done?

What machine did you order Vail? The only machines that support the 1600 ram is with the Sandy Bridge processor and that only if it was upgraded to the 2720 versus the stock 2630. None of the other processors support 1600 ram that I have seen. So if you do not have the SB chip 2720 or above there is no point to get the 1600 ram.

vai1296
02-15-2011, 04:05 PM
What machine did you order Vail? The only machines that support the 1600 ram is with the Sandy Bridge processor and that only if it was upgraded to the 2720 versus the stock 2630. None of the other processors support 1600 ram that I have seen. So if you do not have the SB chip 2720 or above there is no point to get the 1600 ram.

Hmm i ordered the G73JW-3DE....here look this is what it says on the xotic website....

Ram More Information

8,192MB (8GB) DDR3 1333MHz Dual Channel Memory (4x2GB) - Standard
10,240MB (10GB) DDR3 1333MHz Dual Channel Memory (1x4GB 3x2GB) ( + 65 )
12,288MB (12GB) DDR3 1333MHz Dual Channel Memory (2x4GB 2x2GB)- ( + 115 )
8,192MB (8GB) DDR3 1333MHz Dual Channel Memory (2x4GB) ( + 115 )
8,192MB (8GB) DDR3 1600MHz CL9 Kingston Hyper-X Dual Channel Memory (2x4GB) [Pleae Review Laptop Specs for Supported Memory Speeds] ( + 155 )
14,336MB (14GB) DDR3 1333MHz Dual Channel Memory (3x4GB 1x2GB) ( + 195 )
12,288MB (12GB) DDR3 1600MHz CL9 Kingston Hyper-X Dual Channel Memory (3x4GB) [Pleae Review Laptop Specs for Supported Memory Speeds] ( + 195 )
16,384MB (16GB) DDR3 1333MHz Dual Channel Memory (4x4GB)- ( + 240 )
16,384MB (16GB) DDR3 1600MHz CL9 Kingston Hyper-X Dual Channel Memory (4x4GB) [Pleae Review Laptop Specs for Supported Memory Speeds] ( + 295 )

Keeper
02-15-2011, 04:20 PM
Hmm i ordered the G73JW-3DE....here look this is what it says on the xotic website....

Ram More Information

8,192MB (8GB) DDR3 1333MHz Dual Channel Memory (4x2GB) - Standard
10,240MB (10GB) DDR3 1333MHz Dual Channel Memory (1x4GB 3x2GB) ( + 65 )
12,288MB (12GB) DDR3 1333MHz Dual Channel Memory (2x4GB 2x2GB)- ( + 115 )
8,192MB (8GB) DDR3 1333MHz Dual Channel Memory (2x4GB) ( + 115 )
8,192MB (8GB) DDR3 1600MHz CL9 Kingston Hyper-X Dual Channel Memory (2x4GB) [Pleae Review Laptop Specs for Supported Memory Speeds] ( + 155 )
14,336MB (14GB) DDR3 1333MHz Dual Channel Memory (3x4GB 1x2GB) ( + 195 )
12,288MB (12GB) DDR3 1600MHz CL9 Kingston Hyper-X Dual Channel Memory (3x4GB) [Pleae Review Laptop Specs for Supported Memory Speeds] ( + 195 )
16,384MB (16GB) DDR3 1333MHz Dual Channel Memory (4x4GB)- ( + 240 )
16,384MB (16GB) DDR3 1600MHz CL9 Kingston Hyper-X Dual Channel Memory (4x4GB) [Pleae Review Laptop Specs for Supported Memory Speeds] ( + 295 )

I believe you will want to check with Xotic on this because it does say "review laptop specs" and from what I know of only the 2720 SB chip and above support 1600 speeds. That doesn't mean you cannot have 1600 ram it just means that it is a waste of money since those other processors cannot take advantage of those speeds. Does that make sense?

vai1296
02-15-2011, 06:33 PM
OMFG OMFG!!!!! New status: Phase 4 (Order Shipped):wideeyed:

Hemotherapy
02-16-2011, 01:05 AM
OMFG OMFG!!!!! New status: Phase 4 (Order Shipped):wideeyed:

Congrats!:D

vai1296
02-16-2011, 10:24 AM
So happy! It says I will get it Monday 21st =) am at work and it feels like the time isn't moving anymore...waiting sucks =(

vai1296
02-16-2011, 10:24 AM
Congrats!:D

Thank you :biggrin:

utiadam
02-20-2011, 10:41 PM

You should end up with 12gb total if you drop in 2 x 4gb cards...stock the computer comes with all 4 slots filled with 2gb each. It would be 8gb of 1600 and 4gb of 1333. I will probably do that as well as an SSD but ill just stick with all 1333 memory

vai1296
02-21-2011, 05:23 PM
First post from my new lappy!!! This thing is awesome!
Some thoughts after using this for the last 1hr:

The touchpad zoom function actually turns on on its own even though i use one finger...kinda annoying...keyboard is working just fine.

Got the laptop to play Flyff...can't play flyff for some reason it says i need windows 32bit...ran it on XP SP2 but didnt work...if anyone knows if there is a way for me to get this thing to run Flyff would be great help.

Please guide me with essential updates from that Asus program as well as doing windows updates..should i update the windows things? I know i can do Asus updates but i remember seeing somewhere that i have to stop before it does a specific update.

Right now making a backup...forgot to just order it sigh

Will start to remove all the junk progs it came wth

*Most important thing for me is to get that game to download and work on my lappy or else it was a waste of almost 2400 bucks =/

Thanks in advance =)

utiadam
02-21-2011, 08:25 PM
My G73JW-A1 shipped out today :)
cant wait to play with it! I need to figure out how to get it though because it requires a signature and I am working all week.....

vai1296
02-22-2011, 09:51 AM
You can call up Xotic and have them put a "Hold" on the lappy at the nearest/ main UPS facility near you...this way you can go and pick it up ^^ or your other option is to ask Xotic for Saturday delivery...this may be a few dollars extra but don't quote me...I actually had to take the day off and stay home yesterday to get my laptop =/

utiadam
02-22-2011, 08:27 PM
Well my brother is getting out of work early and I think he will head down to my house and wait for UPS. I think UPS by default does Saturday deliveries anyways so if I miss it on Friday (I hope not! :() I can catch it on Saturday.

vai1296
02-22-2011, 10:04 PM
UPS does not do saturday deliveries as a default...I had called the main UPS to see if this was possible since on friday it arrived in my town and wanted to pick it up from the facility. The lady said I could pick it up if i can contact the sender and have them put it on hold or if i had Saturday delivery (which i didin't ask for) so had to wait till yesterday (monday). I hope you get ur lappy soon...this thing is awesome!

utiadam
02-22-2011, 10:24 PM
UPS does not do saturday deliveries as a default...I had called the main UPS to see if this was possible since on friday it arrived in my town and wanted to pick it up from the facility. The lady said I could pick it up if i can contact the sender and have them put it on hold or if i had Saturday delivery (which i didin't ask for) so had to wait till yesterday (monday). I hope you get ur lappy soon...this thing is awesome!

Oh crap! thanks for clearing that up, all i can do now is hope that i can be here in time to get it friday :)

vai1296
02-23-2011, 10:09 AM
Crossing my fingers for you =)

utiadam
02-24-2011, 10:44 PM
I decided to take tomorrow off and wait for UPS to come! lol
this is so much more important than work :)

Btw, the carbon fiber wrap and the Cooler Master SF-19 came today

Kaz
02-25-2011, 09:38 AM
First off allow me to go ahead and make it apparent that I am new to these forums, and to also apologize if I am missed the page that covers what my post is going to cover. Secondly, after reading several pages of these forums I am starting to get all giddy about future "upgrades" to my newly purchased G73JW-A1. But before I begin making any changes of that kind, I have a problem I have come across and unfortunately it started right out of the box.

Let me give you the break down on my system info and the problem:

(if I am not mistaken this is pretty standard for this system)
ASUS G73JW-A1
Intel i7-740QM 1.73 GHz
8GB DDR3 1333 MHz RAM
2x 500 GB HHD
nVidia GeForce GTX 460m 1.5GB DDR5 (currently running DX10, but will upgrade that soon, also, not sure if it matters, but I have the 3D version as well but not sure if I will ever use it)
Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium

I will leave out the rest of the system info as most if not all of you already know what this machine comes with. Now, here is my issue and I am rather sad by it and also disappointed because I do this kind of work for a living but have had little experience with Windows 7 so far.

Here is the issue I am running into (and like I mentioned before, started right from the get go): I have tested this on games yet as I don't have any to test it with, but when I play movies or sometimes steam video from the internet, I get an error that pops up stating - "Display driver has stopped responding and has recovered". Underneath that message there is a brief description - "Display driver NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 266.58 stopped responding and has recovered successfully". Usually when I get this error the screen will freeze or go black for a couple of seconds, return to normal, and that is when the error pops up.

Here are the things that I have already tried to attempt to fix the error and with no luck:

- Updated video drivers, naturally was my first thought (uninstalled old ones and installed latest driver from nVidia site directly, version 266.58) with no change

- Rolled back video drivers to see if maybe that would have reset anything in the software, but apparently I was wrong there as well.

- After I Googled the error, I tried a registry key fix that did nothing as well. (mentioned creating a QWORD in the "Graphics Drivers" folder buried in the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" section and setting the parameter to "8", which was supposed to change the TDR time to 8 seconds, but did nothing)

- After more googling and forums browsing on various websites to include nVidia, Microsoft, ASUS, etc... I read a couple of ideas that didn't really seem to make sense to me: updating or reinstalling the SATA drivers or the HDD was one of them.

The only thing I have yet to try, because I dread doing it with a passion like you wouldn't believe, is reinstalling the OS. I am trying get a fix for this before it comes to that, so I find myself here hoping that maybe someone has seen this issue before and knows a possible fix to prevent that.

Sorry for the long post, but I figured it would better to give as much info as possible to try and avoid pointless posts.

utiadam
02-25-2011, 09:42 AM
wow, sorry but I dont know how to help you. I just didnt want you to think i was ignoring your post. Im sure later today someone will have an idea to try out

faintofhearts
02-25-2011, 10:24 AM
Hey guys, got this thing a few days ago and it's great. Great service all around to get this thing to my door (thanks to hutsady for selling me on it too). Gotta hand it to xotic, they were really patient with my bank while I was trying to get a shipping address out of them.

I have a quick question about clean installing, always been wanting to try but never really went ahead and did it since all my previous laptops were hand me downs. I'm pretty sure I have the gist of it (put in os dvd, erase everything, install updates/drivers, ??? profit). Does it matter where I put my files from that point on? Or is it better to install the OS/apps on one drive and keep the files/back ups on another.

powerpack
02-25-2011, 11:06 AM
Yea OS and apps on one and storage on the other. Partitioning the drive and putting OS/apps on the outer partition can further increase performance (short stroking). Some people put their swap file on an outer partition of secondary drive.

The above comments other than OS/apps on one and storage on other, are some would say outdated. It could be said that letting Windows manage and defrag regularly will yield the same or better results. That would be because Windows will migrate the most used to the outer area of the drive.

Mine came partitioned as 4 equal sized over 2 drives 2+2. It works fine for me.

Have fun.

utiadam
02-25-2011, 04:41 PM
Just received the computer from UPS about an hour and a half ago. It sure takes a long time to burn those recovery dvds!

powerpack
02-25-2011, 05:31 PM
Yea it's no DeLL?

utiadam
02-26-2011, 12:08 AM
just finished swapping out the wireless card to the intell 6200. i didnt use the previous one enough to notice a speed difference but the signal strength jumped from 94% to 99%. The 6200 is supposed to support dual band as well.

utiadam
02-26-2011, 01:35 AM
wont let me upload a picture of the laptop

SmogHog
02-26-2011, 02:01 AM
just finished swapping out the wireless card to the intell 6200. i didnt use the previous one enough to notice a speed difference but the signal strength jumped from 94% to 99%. The 6200 is supposed to support dual band as well.

Why leave a 2gb memory module?Why not 4 x 4gb =16gb of ram?

For best results use same size and timing on both chanels so the duel chanel memory works correctly.Matched modules in duel chanel memory kits are optimal.

The newest production of OCZ Vertex 2 SSDs are made with 25nm memory chips and require firmware 1.28

The 25nm SSDs are cheaper to produce than 34nm but may lose up to 5% performance.

utiadam
02-26-2011, 02:44 AM
well ill probably never use all 8gb memory but im upgrading it anyways. im only leaving the one under the keyboard because i dont feel like messing with it, that was why i didnt get a G53. The G73 has pretty much everything easily accessible.

Maverick494
02-26-2011, 11:18 AM
well ill probably never use all 8gb memory but im upgrading it anyways. im only leaving the one under the keyboard because i dont feel like messing with it, that was why i didnt get a G53. The G73 has pretty much everything easily accessible.

I found the G73 to have only some of the memory and drives as easily accessible, the rest of the machine you have to take apart almost everything to get at.

utiadam
02-26-2011, 11:50 AM
I found the G73 to have only some of the memory and drives as easily accessible, the rest of the machine you have to take apart almost everything to get at.

Yeah, well anything i would mess with is accessible. I already changed the wireless card to the 6200 and the hard drives/memory are right there as well. I dont really feel like messing with pulling out the keyboard and the other panel to get to 1 more memory module.

DSuds
02-27-2011, 10:22 AM
I dont really feel like messing with pulling out the keyboard and the other panel to get to 1 more memory module.

Somehow that feels like putting three new tires on your car though. Sure it will be better, but may lack balance. :)

acheronx1
02-27-2011, 10:47 AM
Somehow that feels like putting three new tires on your car though. Sure it will be better, but may lack balance. :)

Pretty good analogy there.

utiadam
02-28-2011, 12:16 AM

well all the memory right now is brand new so it would be more like having 3 tires with one tread pattern or brand but another with a different brand but all have good tread depth :)

xoticpc offers different ranges from 8, 10, 12, 14, and 16gb setups so i dont think it will make a huge difference.

My OCZ 120gb Vertex 2 and the memory will be here on Tuesday so ill let you know how it is. I will be using Acronis True Image to clone the stock hard drive and a USB 3.0 enclosure for the SSD and then just do the swap

Hemotherapy
02-28-2011, 10:44 AM

My car has 3 different tires on it. :(

averof
02-28-2011, 04:38 PM
I picked up a lacie minimus usb 3.0 hd and the file transfer rate between it and my g73jw-a1 usb 3.0 port is slow as hell. For the first few seconds it would go at about 100mbps, then quickly stabilize at 20mbps. After I installed the latest fresco usb drivers, it starts at 10 and then goes to 20.

Not sure what's up..ideas?

btw I posted about some weird hdd noises a few weeks ago.. they pretty much stopped on their own after a while.

utiadam
03-01-2011, 10:16 PM
installed my SSD tonight!
i ran windows restart timer and it says my computer now restarts in 36 seconds :)
i had some problems with the drivers at first for the OCZ Vertex 2 SSD. It loaded windows normally but would not run the windows experience rating. I finally got it working and here the results were:
Stock: 5.9
SSD: 7.1

SmogHog
03-01-2011, 10:58 PM
installed my SSD tonight!
i ran windows restart timer and it says my computer now restarts in 36 seconds :)
i had some problems with the drivers at first for the OCZ Vertex 2 SSD. It loaded windows normally but would not run the windows experience rating. I finally got it working and here the results were:
Stock: 5.9
SSD: 7.1

During your clean install on the SSD did you install the Intel RST driver/software at the add driver screen?

After the Windows 7 installation completed did you install the newest Intel chipset software?

utiadam
03-01-2011, 11:07 PM
I did a hard drive clone, not a clean install :(

SmogHog
03-01-2011, 11:10 PM
I picked up a lacie minimus usb 3.0 hd and the file transfer rate between it and my g73jw-a1 usb 3.0 port is slow as hell. For the first few seconds it would go at about 100mbps, then quickly stabilize at 20mbps. After I installed the latest fresco usb drivers, it starts at 10 and then goes to 20.

Not sure what's up..ideas?

btw I posted about some weird hdd noises a few weeks ago.. they pretty much stopped on their own after a while.

The Fresco Logic chip on the mainboard seems to have issues for some people.It probable needs new firmware.You could try different driver versions to see which works best for your hardware.

Uninstall the driver,run a registry cleaner like the one included in CCleaner.

Letting the PC idle for about 30~45 minutes allows Trimm to clean the unused space.

How does it perform connected to a USB 2 port for comparison?

SmogHog
03-01-2011, 11:27 PM
I did a hard drive clone, not a clean install :(

A clean install is normally best.

Now there are torrents for Windows 7 with Service Pack 1 ISOs on the Internet.Uncheck what you don't need.

WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE WITH SERVICE PACK 1 ENGLISH,GERMAN,FRENCH,SPANISH X86 & X64 (http://files.torko.net/Windows7_SP1_MSDN_en.de.fr.es.torrent)DOWNLOAD (http://files.torko.net/Windows7_SP1_MSDN_en.de.fr.es.torrent)

Use Microsofts Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool to burn the ISO onto a 4GB or larger USB flash drive.Remove the ei.cfg file from the sources folder.

http://download.cnet.com/Windows-7-USB-DVD-Download-Tool/3000-18513_4-10972600.html

Download,unpack and place the $OEM$ folder into the Windows 7 Sources folder on the USB flash drive.This will give you all the Asus logos and themes.This is only for Asus Home Premium.
http://www.mediafire.com/?olzmyiooy2i

The WEI score is based on the lowest performing part.

utiadam
03-01-2011, 11:55 PM
i dont think im going to mess with a clean install for now.
WEI is:
processor: 7.1
ram: 7.4
graphics: 7.1
gaming graphics: 7.1
primary hard disc: 7.5

SmogHog
03-02-2011, 12:23 AM
i dont think im going to mess with a clean install for now.
WEI is:
processor: 7.1
ram: 7.4
graphics: 7.1
gaming graphics: 7.1
primary hard disc: 7.5

When is up to you but download the files now and set up a USB flash drive so you'll have it when you need it.

utiadam
03-02-2011, 12:35 AM
yeah, good point. i actually already downloaded the files for win 7 64 bit from codesagar . com. i just need to get a good thumb drive. I want a usb 3.0 16gb from amazon but havent ordered it yet. Its only $38

powerpack
03-02-2011, 12:50 AM
NewEgg this is $29.99 16GB, link (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211521). Read 68MB/s write 18MB/s aluminum body. Free shipping.

http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/20-211-521-TS?$S125W$

utiadam
03-02-2011, 01:04 AM
NewEgg this is $29.99 16GB, link (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211521). Read 68MB/s write 18MB/s aluminum body. Free shipping.

http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/20-211-521-TS?$S125W$

cool,thanks! i should have ordered it last week. My SSD, memory, and hd enclosure are from newegg

Hemotherapy
03-04-2011, 12:39 PM
Anyone else experience a problem where their JW will just turn off? Not shut down where it'll close all programs and boot down. I'm talking like a light bulb where you flick a switch and BOOM power's gone, lights out.

Seems to happen more often in Black Ops than it does it WoW, and it happens only maybe once every few days to a week. Just been wondering what's happend. It's never interrupted something SUPER important, but if it ever does...I might rage so hard it'll never come back on again!

Any idea's fellas?

utiadam
03-05-2011, 07:34 PM
has anyone modified the G73 to have an external wifi antenna? I made a cable to go from U.fl to SMA and put it in the antenna port by the battery. That now allows me to hook up a high gain antenna and I can pick up my home network about 400ft away with a 7dbi gain. Right now I have it plugged into position 2 of the Intel 6200. I am going to order the Ultimate N card with 3 antenna ports.

Loviotor
03-11-2011, 04:59 PM
Finally got mine and got it all set up. Will post my own impressions once I get a chance to run it through some paces. Issue I had was not the fault of Asus or XoticPC, but the fact that my first one arrived via UPS broken (screen cracked and chassis cracked/broken in a few places.

So far I love the machine, coming from an Asus G2S-B1 notebook to the G73JW-A1, significant upgrade and I have always loved my Asus products, from mainboards to my laptop.

XoticPC has taken good care of me, thus far and I look forward to doing more business with them.

Hemotherapy
03-14-2011, 08:57 AM
And they look forward to doing more business with you...lots more...now that they have a new building to pay for :laugh:

dunathan
03-31-2011, 09:17 AM
Im having a serious issue my note wont starting up, it does not show the asus logo, but the keyboard lights up, and the capslock and numlock keys do respond, also CTRL+ALT+DEL do restart the machine, but F9, DEL, ESC and F2 wont enter setup or make the screen show something, it may even work but i have no means to see the screen so I dont know; this problem started yesterday, and Iv tried holding the power button for 30 seconds and pressing F2 to clear cache and reset bios, it does worked, and Iv discovered that I had a problem with windows bootup, bios were ok, but the note could not find a boot device, and F9 wasn't working also, so Iwas wiling to back it up today and format from default, today Im having the same issue of the black screen and no bios, and holding the power button does not solve it anymore, even with the keys "caps num" working, so anyone know how to force shotdown/reset bios/force anynthing to make my note startup and show the bios again on screen ???

please help, thanks a lot.

john@XoticPC
03-31-2011, 10:41 AM
Im having a serious issue my note wont starting up, it does not show the asus logo, but the keyboard lights up, and the capslock and numlock keys do respond, also CTRL+ALT+DEL do restart the machine, but F9, DEL, ESC and F2 wont enter setup or make the screen show something, it may even work but i have no means to see the screen so I dont know; this problem started yesterday, and Iv tried holding the power button for 30 seconds and pressing F2 to clear cache and reset bios, it does worked, and Iv discovered that I had a problem with windows bootup, bios were ok, but the note could not find a boot device, and F9 wasn't working also, so Iwas wiling to back it up today and format from default, today Im having the same issue of the black screen and no bios, and holding the power button does not solve it anymore, even with the keys "caps num" working, so anyone know how to force shotdown/reset bios/force anynthing to make my note startup and show the bios again on screen ???

please help, thanks a lot.

Try reseating the RAM. Sometimes the BIOS won't post if the RAM is slightly pulled out of the slots. Open the panel on the bottom of the laptop and see if the 3 RAM sticks there are snuggly pushed into their slots.

dunathan
03-31-2011, 11:21 AM
thanks for the answer, but it didn't seem to work, Iv tried also with only 2 ram cards not 4 but the results were the same.

Pharynx
06-25-2011, 09:58 AM
i've noticed mine locks up periodically, and i have to turn it off without shutting down because it is completely unresponsive... i love this laptop, but it is very frustrating at times. and it isn't even over heating... it has the external cooler.

Hemotherapy
07-16-2011, 10:15 PM
Anyone know what kinds of issues you would see from downloading video drivers directly from the Nvidia website instead of through Asus? I did this a few months back, and everything ran fine, but now I'm having a some issues with a game I've always played, a few patches ago everything just went crazy! And they're telling me it may be video drivers, any idea how to get these new ones off and get a fresh install of the Asus ones so I can test this? Please? :)

For those interested in the game/issues I'm having:

Heroes of Newerth is the game, and no matter what my video settings are, high or low, my computer plays like butt. When I'm alone, I get decent frames, around 40 or so, in a lane with multiple heroes, it drops to 24, and mostly goes from 20 to 21 during team fights, sometimes it'll spike lower. Again, this is regardless of video settings. I don't get it >_<

Neuman
07-17-2011, 09:52 AM
To answer your question: head over to asus.com/support... It will probably have the last two ASUS-accepted driver versions available.

Consider going to NVIDIA.COM and getting the absolute latest Verde drivers instead, though. Usually newer drivers fix problems, not create them (USUALLY, I say!).

If different video drivers don't fix the problem, I'd also read/post on the tech support forums for Heroes of Newerth.

Finally, since it's a multiplayer game, look at your network connection as well.

Nocturnalis
07-18-2011, 01:12 AM
So my damn comp decides it wont turn on at all now. I shut it down, and now boom, nothing at all. the battery charge light acts like it is charging but is orange, but nothing happens when I push the button, and when I unplug it the light stays on, but still nothing. Looks like I will have to send the damn thing back in now........... YAY

acheronx1
08-10-2011, 10:53 PM
Anyone know what kinds of issues you would see from downloading video drivers directly from the Nvidia website instead of through Asus? I did this a few months back, and everything ran fine, but now I'm having a some issues with a game I've always played, a few patches ago everything just went crazy! And they're telling me it may be video drivers, any idea how to get these new ones off and get a fresh install of the Asus ones so I can test this? Please? :)

For those interested in the game/issues I'm having:

Heroes of Newerth is the game, and no matter what my video settings are, high or low, my computer plays like butt. When I'm alone, I get decent frames, around 40 or so, in a lane with multiple heroes, it drops to 24, and mostly goes from 20 to 21 during team fights, sometimes it'll spike lower. Again, this is regardless of video settings. I don't get it >_<

I've gotten really aggrivated at this issue as well as I cannot find *any* reason mine shuts off.

I play a various load of games, and some are very graphic intensive (Crysis 2 for example)...

It shuts off when I play Need for Speed: World every time. Random times. No errors. Nothing to indicate overheating (and yes, I've had MANY tests running to monitor heat levels CPU and GPU)... even did many RAM tests.

Have even taken out the battery along with buying a new power supply.

I have just finished reformatting, with the nVidia drivers installed. If it happens again, I'm going to attempt to use laptop2go video drivers and see if that changes anything.

Getting tempted to just go buy a Macbook Pro... :p

*EDIT* Just an update...... reformatted and it still shuts down at a random time.

Could it be audio driver conflicts? I notice nVidia installs a "HD Audio" and there is also Realtek drivers installed.

*EDIT 2* Reseated the Memory, changed audio drivers from nVidia HD and Realtek, and tried nVidia video drivers and the ones from laptopvideo2go. Still keeps shutting down.

So I am at a complete loss of ideas. This is not a software issue as I've tried many many verisons and different brands. Also, I don't suspect as it's hardware because it does not shut off on other games (maybe the odd 1 or 2 out of 20).

Even Asus support was not able to figure out what was wrong.

So are the G73JW-A1 on a path to failures? I paid extra because I thought it would be able to survive for more than a year at least.

Starting to be an unhappy camper.

Clam
08-18-2011, 01:48 PM
Starting thread :)

I think that there already some people who ordered it, but waiting the order, so let's wait together :)

Yes ,lets all wait together for the bus to Hoboken,NJ...jeez!!!

scar
08-18-2011, 02:15 PM
What?? I don't get it.

Hemotherapy
08-24-2011, 06:34 PM
I've gotten really aggrivated at this issue as well as I cannot find *any* reason mine shuts off.

I play a various load of games, and some are very graphic intensive (Crysis 2 for example)...

It shuts off when I play Need for Speed: World every time. Random times. No errors. Nothing to indicate overheating (and yes, I've had MANY tests running to monitor heat levels CPU and GPU)... even did many RAM tests.

Have even taken out the battery along with buying a new power supply.

I have just finished reformatting, with the nVidia drivers installed. If it happens again, I'm going to attempt to use laptop2go video drivers and see if that changes anything.

Getting tempted to just go buy a Macbook Pro... :p

*EDIT* Just an update...... reformatted and it still shuts down at a random time.

Could it be audio driver conflicts? I notice nVidia installs a "HD Audio" and there is also Realtek drivers installed.

*EDIT 2* Reseated the Memory, changed audio drivers from nVidia HD and Realtek, and tried nVidia video drivers and the ones from laptopvideo2go. Still keeps shutting down.

So I am at a complete loss of ideas. This is not a software issue as I've tried many many verisons and different brands. Also, I don't suspect as it's hardware because it does not shut off on other games (maybe the odd 1 or 2 out of 20).

Even Asus support was not able to figure out what was wrong.

So are the G73JW-A1 on a path to failures? I paid extra because I thought it would be able to survive for more than a year at least.

Starting to be an unhappy camper.

Well I don't know if you're still having issues, based on things I've read on the HoN forums this has a lot to do with Nvidia and shaders. Which I've heard of before I bought this, and I was reluctant to, but I figured hey it's been 6 years, they've gotta have it figured out by now! F. NO.

Anyway, I'm gonna try some different drivers and look around the internets some more, I'll come back if I find anything worth commenting about

acheronx1
09-08-2011, 10:29 AM
Hey Hemo, that could be a high possibility.

I recently took my G73 into the ASUS repair center nearby for repair. It was shutting off anytime I played an online game. Got tired of it. :)

Basically, all that was told to me was that I need to be more exact about what the problem is (I don't see how "Laptop will shut off randomly while playing games" isn't exact enough) and all they repaired was changing the fans on the inside.

They said it was an overheating issue, which makes no sense as the temperatures never got over 60c and it never felt hot.

Anyways, so far it's working, so I'm not sure how to explain it. We'll see if this starts acting up again.

Oh, also had the motherbios upgraded to 205. I already had 205 flashed on it... maybe they have a better version of 205?

Well, I'm just glad that my G73 is back working again, and I can play games on it.

Much thanks to Joseph who helped me a lot during the whole RMA process and getting this back in for repairs. +1

shawn2571
10-09-2011, 12:13 AM
my asus g73jw reaches 71 degrees C while playing COD Black ops and that is simply to hot! i'm sure solder is reaching it's melting point by that point! although the cooling system on this laptop is much better than Dell's Alienware I still do not believe it is good enough! I've had mine for about 8 months and I'm waiting for it to die from overheating? also that cooler would be well worth the money if it could get my temps down to 60 degrees C or so!

shawn2571
10-09-2011, 12:25 AM
WOW! That was my first impression, when I got it today.
Will write more detail review :)

the full had screen is beautiful isn't it? it plays games really well, the only complaints i have is that it over heats and easily hits 70 degrees C while gaming sometimes. and the web cam is crappy quality! oh and i always get an error blue tooth stack service failed to initialize do you get that error?

Neuman
10-09-2011, 12:30 AM
my asus g73jw reaches 71 degrees C while playing COD Black ops and that is simply to hot! i'm sure solder is reaching it's melting point by that point! although the cooling system on this laptop is much better than Dell's Alienware I still do not believe it is good enough! I've had mine for about 8 months and I'm waiting for it to die from overheating? also that cooler would be well worth the money if it could get my temps down to 60 degrees C or so!
71C is perfectly acceptable for either a GPU or CPU. Both are specced at least to 90C if not higher.

Now, if it's the OUTSIDE of the laptop that reaches 71C... OUCH. :eeek2:

shawn2571
10-09-2011, 12:38 AM
Actually, again showing your idiocy.

The CPU test #2 is a PHYSX test that is NOT AVAILABLE ON AN ATI CARD (which is why the difference between my 10K on the CPU and his 26K, though my GPU score stomps his) and thus it gets all shunted to the CPU. The CPU is no where near as efficient or good at handling PHYSX as a CUDA GPU like even the GTX460M.

So no it's not a copout it is the design of the program and that fact that Nvidia does not allow Physx to be used by any other company. OPENCL should fix the issue, but until 3D Mark vantage (or the next version) uses it instead of an NVIDIA proprietary API then it will always be Nvidia skewed.

I use the nvidea in my g73jw and ati radeon hd 6870's in my two desktops and i really don't see any difference between the two? they both can play any game i throw at them!

shawn2571
10-09-2011, 12:44 AM
anyone figure out how to solve the bluetooth stack service failed to initialize error?

Cannedbeef
10-14-2011, 08:16 PM
Hi, i was looking for some info regarding upgrading my g73jw (the gtx 460m one) and was wondering if anyone could guide me to a good article/forum/revieuw to help me decide on what ssd to buy.
My budget would max be about 250 dollars (was thinking about vertex 3 max iops or a kingston hyperx both 120 gigs), does anyone have anything to say about this?
As i even heard you need to be carefull about thickness etc, if anyone could give me some concrete info about this it would be greatly apreciated (seen loads of contradicting info so far so researching actually made me a bit lost :p).
I'm not planning on upgrading cpu/gpu/ram, i mainly want faster boot and loading speeds, this beast doesn't really need a performance boost imo ^^.

Another thing i have noticed is that alot of people put fresh cooling paste onto their cpu/gpu, is this mod worth blowing my other year of warranty? becouse i noticed my laptop getting alot hotter than he used to and i'm afraid the cooling paste might have dried up a bit.

much love, beef <3

Neuman
10-15-2011, 09:13 PM
Happy to help... First off your G73JW only has SATA 3Gbps (also incorrectly labeled SATA II) ports, so it cannot capitalize on the full speed of the Vertex 3 or any other SATA 6Gbps (often incorrectly labeled SATA III).

If you ONLY intend to use the SSD in the G73JW and never move it to a newer computer, it would be worthwhile to only purchase a SATA 3Gbps drive like the Vertex 2 and save some money or get a larger drive (Newegg has vertex 2 180 GB as well as the 160 GB Intel 320 drive for <$250 right now). The performance increase with ANY SSD is amazing.

That being said, if you think you might move the drive into a newer computer down the road (let's say within the warranty period of the drive) - it might be worthwhile to get a SATA 6Gbps drive.

I have a G73SW (same chassis, different motherboard/CPU) and the Vertex 2 fits perfectly in there.

I believe I read somewhere on the forums here that changing your cooling paste does not void your warranty, but I'm not certain.

Cannedbeef
10-17-2011, 04:11 PM

seems like my reply didn't get trough yesterday,

as for the ssd, i'm planning on topping out the sata 2 port as much as i can :p and i got very very bad experience with the vertex 2's... 3 have died in 8 months so far, so i'm not going down that road anymore (got a refund after complaining lol) and its very possible that in a year or 2 the ssd will eventually find its way into a sata 3 enabled computer so :p

now i'm actually looking toward a crucial m4 xD really can't make up my mind.. :(

and haven't found any concrete official info about the warranty but i'm afraid i'll have to let a certified technician do it (no biggie can get it done for free), was just hoping i could have done it myselve :( so unless i find out something new about this... (waiting on a reply from asus on a mail i sent).

and thx at least now i know the ssd's will fit if i get one the same size as a vertex 2 :p

much love beef <3

Hemotherapy
04-11-2012, 10:28 AM
I guess since this thread hasn't been bumped in so long this should be a testiment to how sturdy and good the G73jw is!

Anyway, time for another bump!

I've got a buddy of mine that also has a G73, he's recently been experiencing a problem where once the lappy turns on it'll just shutdown after about 20 minutes or so on the dot, regardless of what he runs and or does on it. My first guess is maybe the CPU fan isn't working and the thing is just over-heating and shutdowns itself once it reaches a dangerous temp. I could be wrong, but just wondering if maybe anyone who has owned a 73JW has had an issue like this so we can try to diagnose it and fix.

Any idea's fellas and fellalettes?

Jason@XoticPC
04-11-2012, 11:04 AM
I do not think it's a heating issue, but let's make sure. Download CPU-Z and keep an eye on it until it shuts down. What do the temps say?

RockyJoe
04-12-2012, 07:35 PM
I've owned this laptop for over a year and now my G key is not responding at all unless I press real hard down on it, now I'm wonder what I'll have to do to fix it, I seen some laptops selling laptop keys and entire laptop keyboards, can I replace just the single key or am I gonna have to shell out 60 bucks for a full laptop keyboard just to fix one key? Or maybe I just need to clean it internally? I'm worried about opening it up though.

My old Asus laptop had the same problem with the E, D and I keys, although it didn't happen until quite some time later after I gave it to my mom to use. I'd like to get that one fixed too.

mryasir
05-05-2012, 05:09 PM
I've looked all over the interwebs and can't seem to find info on repasting the G73JW. What I'm most concerned about is the ram and some other parts that had some gum-like thermal paste on them. Should I replace it with a thermal pad or just put gobs of a non-electrically conductive thermal paste? I ask because in the process of replacing the paste on the die and cleaning the heatsink fins, I got dust all over that stuff and I'd like to replace it. Any ideas?

Yardithbey
06-18-2012, 11:02 AM
I hate ASUS Live Update.
Anytime it says I have an Nvidia update it fails to work.
I even checked around on the web beforehand this time to see if there were problems. I didn't find any, so I ran the update. Now my computer doesn't even see my 460m card & there is no Nvidia software running.
It did this to me once about a year ago because I didn't know not to trust it.
This time I checked & it still screwed me. Never again.
Recommendation - NEVER update your Nvidia card via ASUS live update...

Neuman
06-18-2012, 11:13 AM
My answer? I did a clean install of Windows and never installed Asus live update at all. In other words, I agree with you as far as you went - and then go further and say don't use live update for ANYTHING.

Hemotherapy
09-15-2012, 08:49 PM
I do not think it's a heating issue, but let's make sure. Download CPU-Z and keep an eye on it until it shuts down. What do the temps say?

Sorry for the late reply, I had him do a system restore after seeing the temps were fine for the 20 minutes, and it'd just power down, seemed to be some kind of malware/virus, installed MSE and he's been good since :)

Just wanted to reply so if someone randomly finds this through google, they'll know the G73 is a good buy and the fans just don't cop out :)

-- Love mine! Just wish I would have waited for the G74 since it launched a month or two after when I got the 73! :p

But it plays WoW just fine especially after they optimized it! Love ASUS!