• Welcome to XOTIC PC Forums! If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

On the wall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On the wall

I do not know if I should get a Sager from xoticpc.com.
    I have been looking around about reviews for this and I have been finding that in about 2 years the parts for the laptop are not supported and can not be fixed. THis is a big problem because I want mine to last even longer.
    So my question is after what ammount of time is there before items not supported or fixed? Also what can the expected life be?

SAGER NP2092 Custom Laptop (Built on Compal JFL92)
    - 15.4" WSXGA+ "Glare Type" Super Clear Ultra Bright Glossy Screen (1680x1050) 2092
    - Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound
    - Standard Dead Pixel Policy
    - ~Intel® T9300 45nm "Penryn" Core™2 Duo 2.5GHz w/6MB L2 On-die cache - 800MHz FSB
    - 512MB PCI-Express nVidia GeForce 8600GT DX10
    - ~ 4,096MB DDR2 667 PC2 5300 (2 SODIMMS) Dual Channel Memory (Requires Vista 64-Bit to recognize Full 4GB)
    - Standard Finish
    - ~Combo 8x8x6x4x Dual Layer DVD +/-R/RW 5x DVD-RAM 24x CD-R/RW Drive w/Softwares
    - ~ 200GB 7200RPM (Serial-ATA II 300 - 16MB Cache)
    - Internal 4-in-1 Card Reader (SD/MMC/MS/MS PRO)
    - Receive FREE Internal Bluetooth (Limted Time Offer)
    - Built-in Intel® PRO/Wireless 4965 802.11 a/g/n
    - Built in 2.0 Megapixel Camera
    - Sound Blaster Compatible 3D Audio - Included
    - Carying Case Optional (Select if desired)
    - Smart Li-ion Battery (9-Cell)
    - Full Range Auto Switching AC Adapter - Included
    - Integrated Fingerprint Reader
    - ~Windows XP Home SP2 with Drivers and Utilities CD
    - 1 Year Parts & Labor Warranty Lifetime 24/7 DOMESTIC Toll Free Tech Support

$1,532.00

This is the one I was thinking of.

So...

Does any one know? I really want to get this computer because it is the only one with 3-4 hour battery life and a 512mb GPU. But I need to know if the computer will still be suported later on. Also with the 3 year warrenty does that mean the parts will still be avaliable then no matter what? Lastly what can the estimated life span be before a broken part or just breaking?

Please help because for me this is an investment and I do not want to make the wrong choice.
    note: I do not want to go over $1,600
    Last edited by Drummer101; 05-03-2008, 09:54 PM. Reason: forgot some thing

Comment

Don't look for too much more upgradibility with the model you have selected. Basically what you have chosen is what you will keep. The CPU and Hard Drive may be all that have potential for upgrades. Life wise for these laptops.... it really depends on what condition you keep them in and what your using them for. I would expect no less than five years for most laptops, although in many cases they may be dated, but still useable. If you constantly blow the dust out and use a cooler, you should expect a long life for your laptop. Xotic PC sells some very high quality laptops and for affordable prices. I would be the first satisfied customer to encourage you to buy here. I believe it also possible to extend your warranty if you think a problem is bound to occur. Hope this will help your decision.
      Sager NP5792

Microsoft Windows Vista Premium 64-Bit
      17" WUXGA
      Intel Core 2 Duo T7700 2.4GHz
      4 GB DDR2 667 RAM
      1 GB Intel Robson Turbo Memory
      500 GB 7200RPM Seagate Momentus HD
      nVidia GeForce 8800M GTX 512MB GDDR3

FORUM TROLL 4 LIFE
      http://teamamerimixwcg.blogspot.com/...online_05.html

Comment

I'd recommend buying from Xotic, too. If for no other reason, than you can keep your stuff in tip-top shape, without voiding the warranty. They work with you, and have no probs getting to the 'guts of the problem'. I've already had a service call with mine, and that's when you know whether a company is good. When something goes wrong.

I also second what OCG said, you're pretty much maxxed out, but I think that's the point. I maxxed mine out where it counts (for me personally), and I'm not really planning on upgrading anything. I bought mine to keep for about 5 years before I'm looking into getting something new. My warranty is 3 years, and if nothings pooped out by the end of 3, chances are nothing will for another 2. Most HW failures really occur within the first 6 months or so (or even sooner). That's what the burn-in is all about. Stress the components to the limit. If they are in any way inferior, they usually won't live thru the stress test. However, for good longevity you'll have to treat it well, and keep it maintained and not abuse it.
        Proud Mom of a:
        SAGER NP9262
        Intel Core 2 QUAD Q6700 2.66GHz
        nVidia GeForce 8800GTX 512MB x2 SLi config
        4,096MB DDR2 800
        RAIDed 3x200MB SATA2 7200RPM HDDs
        8x8x6x4x DVD +/-R/RW 5x DVD-RAM 24x CD-R/RW
        Vista Ultimate 64-bit & RH Linux ES 5 dual boot

Comment

Originally posted by Drummer101 View Post
          So my question is after what ammount of time is there before items not supported or fixed? Also what can the expected life be?....
          Sager items are no different than any "name brand" laptops items. They all buy their parts from the same manufacturers and have the same parts avalible for the same length of time. You can do a google or wikipedia search for ODM(Original Design Manufacturer) notebooks to find out more about this. So if you are thinking Dell or HP laptops with the same parts will be available for longer, they won't. And as for "in warranty" obsolete parts, I believe Sager has the same policies as other companies, which is usually upgrade the part free of charge to the closest match. I can not give a date as to when each individual component of your build will become obsolete and no one will ever tie those dates down. You just need to make an educated guess. look at trends in parts. look back 2-3 years at which parts were on the market and see if you can find them today.

Others have already addressed the life expectancy of laptops and that goes for any brand. basically, just take good care of it and it should last you well after it becomes obsolete

As for upgradeability, Sagers are designed to be user upgradable. you can get your hands into the guts of a machine and upgrade it as easy as a desktop. and without voiding the warranty mind you!

All in all Sagers are quality machines without the huge pricetag. They are a great buy and you should really consider Sager through XoticPC. They have great prices and excellent service as you can tell by all the happy costumers who stick around to help out

Happy Lappy Hunting!
          Last edited by robamb2002; 05-12-2008, 07:32 AM.
          Sager NP5792
          Alienware M11x-R1
          WUXGA Glossy
          11.6" WXVGA Glossy
          2.4GHz Core 2 Duo
          1.3GHz CULV Core 2 Duo OCed to 1.76GHz
          GeForce 8800GTX
          GeForce GT 335m
          4,096 DDR2 667 Memory
          4,096 DDR3 800 Memory
          200 Gb 7200 RPM SATA 150
          128 Gb GSkill Falcon SSD