• Welcome to XOTIC PC Forums! If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Laptop for College: Sager NP9130/ Asus G75VW-DS71?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop for College: Sager NP9130/ Asus G75VW-DS71?

Questionnaire below

I have already looked at the Sager NP1930 and the Asus G75VW-DS71 (This is a stretch on budget)

General Questions

1) What is your budget?
    $1,300-1,500 would be the top of my price range

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    c. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    d. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen

Not entirely important, looking for performance. I know the Asus is 17" but way more pricey.

3) What country (and state) are you buying this in?
    USA, Maine.

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    Stay away from Alienware. Too overpriced. I do like the looks of Asus ALOT but Sager's customizable everything is looking very attractive for their prices.

5) What tasks will you be performing with the notebook?
    Photoshop/Gimp, Blender 3d animation/Cinema 4d, heavy gaming, word processing, web browsing.

6) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places or leaving it on your desk?
    In a year or so possibly be taking it to college classes, I don't mind weight at all. Good workouts are fine.

7) Will you be playing games on it; if so, which games?
    Yes. Starcraft 2, Diablo 3, WoW, COD, BF3, Starwars, anything Steam...

8) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    2+ would be nice, but it'll be plugged in most of the time.

9) Do you mind buying online without seeing the notebook in person?
    It's fine not seeing it. As long as it's what I ordered.

10) Which OS do you prefer?
    I was a Mac guy so the standard Windows 7 64-bit Home?
    Screen Specifics

11) From the choices below, what screen resolutions would you prefer? (more details below)
    Widescreen
    d. WXGA or WXGA+ - 1280x768/800 or 1440x900; Wider viewing version of XGA, good for movie viewing or spreadsheets.
    e. WSXGA+ - 1680x1050; Wider viewing version of SXGA, good for movie viewing or spreadsheets.
    f. WUXGA - 1920x1080; Wider viewing version of UXGA, good for movie viewing or spreadsheets.
    Not entirely important.

12) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non glossy screen?
    Matte/non glossy. Never had a glossy screen so I'm hesitant.
    Build Quality and Design

13) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    Not entirely. If it looks nice then it's just a bonus.

14) When are you buying this laptop and how long do you want this laptop to last?
    Hopefully this August 2012. Looking to get 4-5 years even if that is a stretch.
    Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you want; 250GB, 320GB, 500GB, 750GB, 1TB, or 1.5TB?
    750GB would be nice. I can deal with 500Gb. I do no Sager is offering a back to school special allowing for the upgrade to the 500gb SSD, or the 750GB HDD.

16) Would you prefer a SSD Hard Drive? How much space do you want?
    SSD would be nice. I can live with HDD. Whatever will give me maximum performance and storage.

17) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a CDRW/DVD-ROM, CD/DVD Burner or Blu-Ray drive?
    Blu-Ray drive.

18) What speed CPU/Processor would you like? Dual core or Quad Core CPU?
    This is what I had for the Sager: 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3610QM Processor ( 6MB L3 Cache, 2.30GHz) I don't know what the best bang for my buck processor to choose; I upgraded that on the Sager for $70.
    19) Do you use wireless, or do you plan on using it? Do you use Bluetooth, or do you plan on using it?
    I do plan on using wireless, no Bluetooth.
    ==========

If you want to recommend other laptops feel free. Still haven't looked at anything MSI either..

Thanks,
    Brody

For the simple fact 9130 has the 670m instead of the 660m like the G75 has, I would go with the 670m. Several of the games you have listed will take advantage of it and the CUDA cores will help with your art projects.
    Travis B
    travis.b@xoticpc.com
    Customer Loyalty Team
    XOTIC PC

Comment

How does this look?

I opted to have branding removed but I'm not even sure what it is ... could you explain? Also what would you recommend, the 750gb 7200rpm (Serial-ATA II 300 - 16MB Cache) or the 500gb (w/ 4GB SSD Memory) Seagate XT 7200RPM NCQ Hybrid (Serial-ATA II 300 - 32MB Cache) upgrade? I don't understand how either effects the usability of my laptop, could you explain?
      I'm seriously considering this laptop from you.

Sager NP9130 / Clevo P151EM1
      - FREE!! Continental (U.S. Lower 48 - UPS Ground Only) Ground Shipping on ALL Sager Laptops (Enter Coupon Code: "SAGERFREESHIP" during order process)
      - SAGER Back 2 School Savings!!! ( Free Hard Drives & Ram Savings ) - See Specials Below
      - 15.6” FHD 16:9 LED Backlit Wide screen (1920x1080) Super Clear Matte Type Screen (SKU - S1R324)
      - Standard Dead Pixel Policy
      - NO Professional Monitor Color Calibration
      - Sager - 3rd Generation Intel® Ivy Bridge Core™ i7-3610QM (2.3GHz - 3.3GHz, 6MB Intel® Smart Cache, 45W Max TDP) (SKU - S2N224)
      - -Stock OEM Thermal Compound
      - nVidia GeForce GTX 670M 1,536MB PCI-Express GDDR5 DX11 with Optimus™ Technology (SKU - S3N501)
      - No Copper Cooling Upgrade
      - No Video Adapter
      - No External Mobile Display
      - FREE! - 16GB - DDR3 1600MHz Dual Channel Memory (4 SODIMMS) (w/ i7 CPU Upgrade) (SKU - S4T761)
      - Remove All Branding
      - Standard Finish
      - No mSATA SSD
      - FREE! - 750gb 7200rpm (Serial-ATA II 300 - 16MB Cache) (SKU - S5R306)
      - Combo Dual Layer SuperMulti DVDRW/CDRW Drive w/ Software (When selecting a Hard Drive in the Optical Bay, No Optical Drive is Included) (SKU - S7R455)
      - No Extra Optical Bay Hard Drive Caddy
      - No Back Up Hard Drive
      - NO External USB Optical Drive
      - Internal 9-in-1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD/Mini SD/SDHC/SDXC/MS/MS Pro/MS Duo)
      - No Back Up Software
      - Bluetooth Included (See “Wireless Network” Section Below)
      - Sager - Intel® Advanced-N 6235 - 802.11A/B/G/N Wireless LAN Module + Bluetooth™ 4.0 (SKU - S8R111)
      - No Network Accessory
      - Built in 2.0 Megapixel Camera
      - No TV Tuner
      - Sound Blaster Compatible 3D Audio - Included
      - No Carrying Case
      - Smart Li-ion Battery (8-Cell)
      - No Car Adapter
      - No Spare AC Adapter
      - No Dock/Hub/Adapter
      - Integrated Fingerprint Reader
      - No Headset
      - No External Keyboard
      - No External Mouse
      - No Notebook Cooler
      - YES - Redline Boost™ Overclock My System (Operating System Required) (XPC Service)
      - No Operating System Redline Boost
      - ~Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit (64&32-Bit CD Included) + MS Office Starter 2010 -[ Upgrade to Windows 8 Pro for $14.99 (Directly through Microsoft) ]
      - 2012 PC Security Essentials Software (Not Installed) (Trend Micro Titanium Antivirus + DriveScrubber + NovaBACKUP + System Mechanic 10.5 + AntiLogger)
      - No Office Software
      - No Software Bundle
      - LIFETIME Ltd Labor* 1 Year Parts Warranty Lifetime 24/7 DOMESTIC Toll Free Telephone Support (Labor through XPC)
      Includes FREE Shipping Both Ways for Parts Warranty Repairs (SKU - X9R009)

- No thanks, standard double boxed packaging is okay with my order
      - No Outside of US Shipping Coverage
      - No Xotic PC Gear
      $1,384.01
      Sub-Total: $1,384.01

Comment

Working...
      X