• Welcome to XOTIC PC Forums! If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need Help Choosing a New Laptop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help Choosing a New Laptop

Hi,

I'm in the market for a new laptop and was looking for some help deciding and customizing, so that I get the most for my money. I am fairly new to PC gaming, so I'm not an expert on which graphics card is best, what processor I'll need to get the most out of it etc. So all your advice would be greatly appreciated.

I've found 5 laptops that could be a good fit.

1. What is your budget?

Around $2000

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

15"-17"

3. What screen resolution do you want?

Best possible

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

Portable

5. How much battery life do you need?

Standard 3-4 hours will do

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

I will want to play games such as BF4, Skyrim, Shogun, Far Cry 3 etc. All in at least High.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)

I will browse the web, university work, programming, streaming movies

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

Ideally 1 TB+

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np8255-...wconfigure=yes
    http://www.xoticpc.com/force-msi-16f4-54017-770m-msi-gt...
    http://www.xoticpc.com/force-msi-1763-22002-770m-msi-gt...
    http://www.xoticpc.com/force-msi-176...wconfigure=yes
    http://www.xoticpc.com/force-msi-16f...wconfigure=yes

When I customize the laptops, I try to get the following spec:
    Intel 4th Gen Haswell i7 Quad core processor (most basic available)
    Nvidia GTX 780M Graphics Card
    8GB+ 2133 MHz DDR3 RAM or 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM
    Good Wireless Networking Card
    120GB + mSATA III SSD for increased boot speed
    1TB 7200 RPM SATA III Hard Drive

Is this a good spec for gaming performance? Would you recommend any changes?

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

Ideally this should last me through university (3-4 years)

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

I will stream most of the media that I watch/listen too, but I would want a CD/DVD ROM Reader and Writer, and might consider adding blu-ray if it wasn't much more expensive.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

Not really bothered about particular brands

13. What country do you live in?

I live in the UK, but I am currently in New Zealand until April, so I will want it shipped to NZ and I will take it back to the UK.

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed:

I have found 5 decent laptops around my budget.

Some of the laptops have 8GB of overclocked 2133 MHz RAM, others come with 16GB of 1600MHz RAM. Which would deliver better gaming performance? What about for other tasks such as web browsing etc?

I also have the option of having 120GB of mSATA SSD to improve performance (I've read this improves boot performance?), is this worth it? Is 120GB enough?

For each laptop, I will want to have 1TB of disk space.

The processor's are all 4th Generation Intel® Haswell Core™ i7-4700MQ (2.4GHz - 3.4GHz, 6MB Intel® Smart Cache). Is this good enough to get the most out of the GTX 780M?

Some have 15" screen and the others a 17" screen, in your experience, does this make a big difference?

I also notice Xoticpc offer addons such as IC Diamond Thermal Compound, COPPER COOLING UPGRADE, Video boost GPU overclocking and Redline boost operating system. Are any of these worth the price? Particularly when I am not going for a top of the line system?

Hopefully you don't get overwhelmed by the number of questions!

Thanks in advance,

Jack

I think I would not look at MSI as their cheapest unit that includes the 780m is starting at 2k. With SAGER you can build them starting around 1600-1700. So really the question comes down to if you want a 15 or 17 inch? The only thing is because you are in another country, you will not get any warranty support with a SAGER. I would recommend you get a mSATA and HDD combo. That is probably going to be your best bang for the buck. If you are a gamer, you will want Windows 8 for sure. Much better gaming performance can be seen from it. Do not skip on the TC but the copper cooling and other XPC services can be if you are in a time crunch. Otherwise, if you do not know how to do it, it's worth while. RAM means almost nothing for games. It only matters if you have enough and 8GB is enough. You really need to worry about GPU and CPU which with a 4700 and 780 you are covered fully.
    Travis B
    travis.b@xoticpc.com
    Customer Loyalty Team
    XOTIC PC

Comment

Working...
    X