• Welcome to XOTIC PC Forums! If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

College Programmer Laptop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College Programmer Laptop

Hi, I am going to become a software programming college student in 8 months. I believe that I should take a look at laptops at this time, because of the X-mas sales. HOWEVER, IF YOU THINK I SHOULD WAIT FOR BACK TO SCHOOL SALES TO SHOP INSTEAD PLEASE TELL ME.

1) What is your budget?
    $1700 or under
    2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    a. Ultraportable; 12" screen or less
    b. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen
    c. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    d. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen

3) What country (and state) are you buying this in?
    California, United States
    4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    I don't want a Dell, HP, nor Apple product. I'm cool with everything else.
    5) What tasks will you be performing with the notebook?
    I am going to be programming and developing software. I will also be doing casual gaming (League of Legends atm, but I may play other stuff after a while). I don't really mind playing on low settings, but the more is better.
    6) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places or leaving it on your desk?
    I'll be taking this laptop everywhere, from my desk to my classes, to the library, to a friend's place, to a cafe, REGULARLY.
    7) Will you be playing games on it; if so, which games?
    League of Legends. I may play more demanding games in the future. I don't mind low graphics settings, but I don't want to tolerate lag at all.
    8) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    3 hours minimum with full brightness settings and on wi-fi
    9) Do you mind buying online without seeing the notebook in person?
    Nope, I don't mind at all.
    10) Which OS do you prefer?
    Windows
    Screen Specifics
    1680x1050, 1920 x 1080 preferred
    11) From the choices below, what screen resolutions would you prefer? (more details below)Widescreen
    d. WXGA or WXGA+ - 1280x768/800 or 1440x900; Wider viewing version of XGA, good for movie viewing or spreadsheets.
    e. WSXGA+ - 1680x1050; Wider viewing version of SXGA, good for movie viewing or spreadsheets.
    f. WUXGA - 1920x1080; Wider viewing version of UXGA, good for movie viewing or spreadsheets.
    I want either e. or f. (f preferred)
    12) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non glossy screen?
    I don't care. I will be working under all types of lighting though.
    Build Quality and Design
    THIS LAPTOP MUST LAST ME 4 YEARS WHILE BEING ABLE TO RUN WITH CLOSE TO THE SAME SPEED AS IT WAS WHEN NEW.
    13) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    Not really, but this is supposed to be a lighter laptop so it should naturally look kind of slim/sleek
    14) When are you buying this laptop and how long do you want this laptop to last?
    I've got from now till the end of August.

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you want; 250GB, 320GB, 500GB, 750GB, 1TB, or 1.5TB?
    None, I want a SSD for my primary drive.
    16) Would you prefer a SSD Hard Drive? How much space do you want?
    I want an SSD for sure. 128 GB or higher.
    17) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a CDRW/DVD-ROM, CD/DVD Burner or Blu-Ray drive?
    I want to be able to insert and watch a DVD. That is all.
    18) What speed CPU/Processor would you like? Dual core or Quad Core CPU?
    Quad core. This is a MUST.
    19) Do you use wireless, or do you plan on using it? Do you use Bluetooth, or do you plan on using it?
    I will be living off wireless. I may use Bluetooth. Wireless has to be good.

Right now, I'm considering the Sager NP2740, the GE40, and the Gigabyte P34G in terms of gaming oriented laptops. For more business oriented laptops, I'm looking at the Thinkpad T440, T440p, and the W530, as well as the Toshiba Zetra Z40. However, out of all of these, only the Thinkpad T440p and the Sager Np2740 are really on my mind.
    Last edited by TenkaiForce; 12-12-2013, 01:08 AM.

The choices you are looking at are pretty good. I wouldn't consider the 2740 though because it doesn't have a dedicated GPU. The NP7330 is going to be the best option on our site in that size. I would get the following upgrades.

SAGER Holiday Savings!!! - $50 OFF When you spend $1250.00* or more per system! (*excludes non-sager parts, accessories, shipping, & taxes) ( - 50 )
    FREE! - Batman: Origins for PC
    (Limited Time Offer / While Supplies Last / Must be requested in comments box during checkout) ( + 0 )
    Sager - 4th Generation Intel® Haswell Core™ i7-4700MQ (2.4GHz - 3.4GHz, 6MB Intel® Smart Cache) (SKU – SPU201) ( + 75 )
    - IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU ( + 35 )
    16GB - DDR3 1600MHz Dual Channel Memory (2 SODIMMS) (SKU - S4S822AP) ( + 90 )
    240GB Crucial M5 mSATA SSD - Preconfigured as an OS Drive ( Operating System – Drive C: ) ( + 205 )
    Sager - Intel® Dual Band AC 7260 802.11 A/AC/B/G/N 2.4/5.0GHz + Bluetooth™ 4.0 (SKU - WIFI98) ( + 35 )
    ~Windows 8.1 - 64-Bit (64-Bit CD Included) + MS Office 2013 Trial ( + 80 )

Everything else would be secondary. Total comes to 1469! I built you an amazing little machine that can play anything out on the market for way under your budget!

Please come into chat and speak to me about it before placing your order! We can talk about other options that would be available!
    Travis B
    travis.b@xoticpc.com
    Customer Loyalty Team
    XOTIC PC

Comment

This is my first opportunity to visit this website.I want to show my admiration for your generosity in support of people that should have assistance with your question.

Comment

Working...
      X