• Welcome to XOTIC PC Forums! If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sager 8200 decisions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sager 8200 decisions

Hi,

I posted a thread to get suggestions on which laptop to get. I got a great suggestion on a Sager so I've been looking at them, but I have a few more detail-oriented questions. I really only play one game (DCUO - requirements here) and have been playing it on very low settings for a couple years now. I'd like to amp up my settings to max which I feel confident any of the Sager builds I'm going to list will do. I've thought about trying to video my gameplay, so a build that lets me do that would be ideal. Finally, I'm thinking of going back to school to switch into the computer science field from applied math, so I've ran programs in the past, but it's been a few years since I've done any coding. With the way technology grows, I'm not sure what programs I would need for that major and how intensive they would be on a computer, but I plan on using this laptop as my main computer - no desktop, and would like to get rid of my current laptop. My current laptop I believe has overheating issues which is always a worry when gaming on a laptop. Do you have any suggestions to avoid that? I would hate to pay this sort of money if I need to constantly be fearful of overheating.

As for builds, I'm looking mostly at the 8235/8255/8265 range including the -s models. They all seem to be very similar and allow me to make almost identical builds. Why is one better than another?

When it comes to options, I've chosen the following:
    • Normal matte-type screen.
    • Either the i7-4700MQ or -4800MQ. Not sure how much of a boost in CPU I need since the i7 is already light years above what I use now. Would the upgrade really be that beneficial.
    • Yes on the thermal compound upgrade and copper cooling.
    • NVIDIA 770M 3GB
    • 16GB RAM
    • 120 GB mSATA for OS
    • Should I add a second mSATA for just games? Would it fit on the initial OS mSATA? Between the live and test servers, I'd need at least 50GB for DCUO. Not sure what all should go on the mSATA's as I've always just used one HDD and externals for backup. If I do go with 2 drives, would RAID 0 give me any benefits or downfalls? This is my biggest area of concern since I've never really worked with multi-drive setups on a personal computer. I'd be going with the 750 GB in the HDD slot.
    • I don't plan to overclock as I'm not sure I'm doing anything intensive enough to make it necessary, plus I don't want to stress a laptop more than necessary as overheating is a fear. I may opt for the OS boost, though, depending on what it does.

I guess what I'm looking for is which laptop is best? 8235, 8255, 8265, or 8265-S? Which processor would fit my needs...if I'm not going to see a difference in the CPU upgrade, I could spend that $200 elsewhere. Same with the drives, I'm not sure which mSATA setup would be best for me, if any.

I know these are a lot of newbie questions, but thanks for anyone that can give me some advice.

Okay, an update. I looked at the different model and I don't need the backlit keyboard of the 8255 or extra hard drive slots of the 65, and I'm not sure of the difference that the -s models add. Since the 8235 looks like it has good fan slots and I can get similar specs for less cost, should I go that route? Or is there something important that the 8235 model is lacking? The build looks like this (some things omitted to make it smaller):

Sager NP8235 (Clevo P151SM1)
    - 15.6” FHD 16:9 LED Backlit Wide screen (1920x1080) Super Clear Matte Type Sager Screen (SKU - SSC005)
    - Sager - 4th Generation IntelŽ Haswell Core™ i7-4700MQ (2.4GHz - 3.4GHz, 6MB IntelŽ Smart Cache) (SKU – SPU201)
    - - IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU
    - NVIDIAŽ GeForce™ GTX 770M (3.0GB) GDDR5 PCI-Express DX11 [User Upgradeable] (SKU – GPU001)
    - COPPER COOLING UPGRADE - Extra Cooling Copper Heatsinks Applied to the Heatsink/Heatpipes (XPC Service - requires shipment to XOTIC PC: will add to build time)
    - 16GB - DDR3 1600MHz Dual Channel Memory (2 SODIMMS) (SKU - S4T824P)
    - Laptop Personalization Text Etching – [Bottom of Laptop] (Add your name to your laptop) *Adds 4-9 Business Days to Build (XPC Service)
    - Non-RAID Storage
    - 120GB Crucial M5 mSATA SSD - Preconfigured as an OS Drive ( Operating System – Drive C: )
    - NO mSATA Solid State Drive
    - 750GB 7200RPM [SATA II - 16MB Cache] (SKU - HDD099)
    - Yes, Redline Boost My Operating System (Operating System Required) (XPC Service - requires shipment to XOTIC PC: will add to build time)
    - ~Windows 8.1 - 64-Bit (64-Bit CD Included) + MS Office 2013 Trial

Is there anything I should change? Again, I'm incredibly unsure what to do with the mSATA slots. I also wish you could see examples of the personalization etching. There are pictures of etchings, but they're all pictures on the top. I was going to get my screenname on the personalization, but I'm not sure how that will look.

Comment

Working...
    X