• Welcome to XOTIC PC Forums! If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replacement for ASUS g74sx-dh73

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement for ASUS g74sx-dh73

I am looking for a powerful laptop that will last for as long as possible in terms of getting the most out of games. I want some suggestions on current options recommended but I may also wait for the Nvidia 800 series when it is out and get the 880M or similar. Not sure if even $3000 is sufficient but it would be great to see what people can come up with setups. I need a laptop mostly as I need to travel back and forth from home to college, and other travel. I would have settled with a desktop otherwise. Feel free to post questions on other specifications.

General Questions

1) What is your budget?

$3000

2) What size notebook would you prefer?

Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen

3) What country (and state) are you buying this in?

United States, MA

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?

I have used an ASUS G74sx-dh73 for sometime and I am comfortable with the layout. I am open to anything else which receives a positive reception and review.

5) What tasks will you be performing with the notebook?

Primarily Gaming, Other multi-media like movies and music(prefer best sound card), other college assignments

6) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places or leaving it on your desk?

College, home and travel sometimes

7) Will you be playing games on it; if so, which games?

Future BF series, Thief, Dark Souls 2 etc. Most demanding games hopefully in ultra graphics for the longest time possible.

8) How many hours of battery life do you need?

Power supply plugged-in so N/A

9) Do you mind buying online without seeing the notebook in person?

Do not mind as long as I get some recommended suggestions. Setups that do not cause errors or compatibility issues.

10) Which OS do you prefer?

Windows 7 as it is stable but I would not mind windows 8 or 8.1 to avoid any additional costs as I would rather allocate budget on gaming performance. GPU/CPU/RAM

Screen Specifics

11) From the choices below, what screen resolutions would you prefer? (more details below)
    WUXGA - 1920x1080; Wider viewing version of UXGA, good for movie viewing or spreadsheets.
    12) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non glossy screen?

I am used to Matte but whichever provided a better gaming experience or displays graphical prowess

Build Quality and Design

13) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?

Not so important, prefer performance over hardware aesthetics granted the laptop does not look hideous.

14) When are you buying this laptop and how long do you want this laptop to last?
    Looking to use the laptop for the longest time possible and max out or close to on games 2 years down the line if possible. Will be using it for 3-4 years maximum.

15) How much hard drive space do you want; 250GB, 320GB, 500GB, 750GB, 1TB, or 1.5TB?

1-1.5 TB, will be downloading a lot of games and HD Bluray movies.

16) Would you prefer a SSD Hard Drive? How much space do you want?

SSD would be a plus but may be expensive and may need to sacrifice on other important aspects. HDD or Hybrids are alright to some extent. If SSD then allocate enough that may suffice realistically.

17) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a CDRW/DVD-ROM, CD/DVD Burner or Blu-Ray drive?

I do not use discs as much. Mostly for games. Would be a plus to have the best option but would rather hold credentials to increased performance.

18) What speed CPU/Processor would you like? Dual core or Quad Core CPU?

Quad Core, speed that would suffice for a long time, hopefully 2 years on demanding games. My current cannot even handle some basic games.

19) Do you use wireless, or do you plan on using it? Do you use Bluetooth, or do you plan on using it?

I use wireless and wired. Bluetooth would be good if necessary. Require the most effective and adaptable network card to attain the fastest speed for online play and streaming.

For your budget there are great options defiantly within that price range. I put together a few builds to give you an idea on options and features they have. ASUS and MSI have great pre-built systems, not needing much upgrades. The Sagers I did a single gpu and another in SLI mode. If need the most GPU power you can upgade to 780m in SLI and still be under $3000. Far as the 880m being released it could be a few months, it is the same 28nm architecture but a bigger base clock. Rumor it could also come with 8Gb of video memory.

ASUS G750JH-DB71 - $2474
    - 17.3" FHD 16:9 "Matte Type" Super Clear Ultra Bright LED Matte Screen (1920x1080)
    - 4th Generation IntelŽ Haswell Core™ i7-4700HQ (2.4GHz - 3.4GHz, 6MB IntelŽ Smart Cache) (SKU – X2Y914)
    - IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU (Cools better than all Compounds) (XPC Service)
    - NVIDIAŽ GeForce™ GTX 780M (4.0GB) GDDR5 PCI-Express DX11
    - 24GB DDR3 1600MHz [SKU-834P] (Dual Channel Memory (3x8GB SODIMMS)) - Default
    - mSATA Option: Operating System Installed [Default] w/ mSATA(s) selected below
    - 128GB Solid State Drive mSATA - [ In Primary Hard Drive Bay ]
    - 128GB Solid State Drive mSATA - [ In Primary Hard Drive Bay ]
    - 1TB 5400RPM (SATA II - 3GB/s) - Default (SKU - HDD019)
    - 6x Blu-Ray Reader + 8x DVDRW/CDRW Super Multi Combo Drive (SKU - ODD008)
    - IntelŽ Dual Band AC 7260 802.11 A/AC/B/G/N 2.4/5.0GHz + Bluetooth 4.0 / WiDi | Up to 300/867Mbps (2x2) (SKU - WIFI04)
    - WINDOWS 8 - 64-Bit (Pre-Installed)
    - 1 Year ASUS GLOBAL OEM Warranty 24/7 Support / 1 Year North America (N.A.) Accidental Coverage (Accidental Requires Registration) (SKU - WTY015)

Sager NP9390-S (Clevo P375SM) - $2584
    - 17.3" FHD 16:9 "Matte Type" Super Clear Ultra Bright LED Anti-Glare Screen (1920x1080) (SKU - SSC002)
    - FREE! - 30 Day No Dead Pixel Warranty
    - Sager - 4th Generation IntelŽ Haswell Core™ i7-4700MQ (2.4GHz - 3.4GHz, 6MB IntelŽ Smart Cache) (SKU – SPU201)
    - FREE! - IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU
    - CROSSFIRE (2x) - AMDŽ Radeon™ HD 8970M (8.0GB total) GDDR5 PCI-Express DX11 [User Upgradeable] (SKU – GPU008)
    - 16GB - DDR3 1600MHz Dual Channel Memory (2 SODIMMS) (SKU - S4S822AP)
    - 500GB Samsung 840 EVO Series SSD [SSD2 - SATA III] (SKU - SSD068)
    - 1TB 7200RPM [SATA II - 3GB/s] (SKU - HDD097)
    - 6X Blu-Ray Reader + 8X DVDRW/CDRW Super Multi Combo Drive (Sager) (SKU - ODD084)
    - Sager - IntelŽ Dual Band AC 7260 802.11 A/AC/B/G/N 2.4/5.0GHz + Bluetooth™ 4.0 (SKU - WIFI94)
    - ~Windows 8.1 - 64-Bit (64-Bit CD Included) + MS Office 2013 Trial
    - LIFETIME Ltd Labor* 1 Year Parts Warranty Lifetime 24/7 DOMESTIC Technical Support (Labor through XPC)
    Includes FREE Shipping Both Ways for Parts Warranty Repairs (SKU - WTY099)

Sager NP9380-S (Clevo P370SM3) $2319
    - 17.3" FHD 16:9 120Hz "MatteType" 72% NTSC Color Gamut Sager Screen (1920x1080) + 1 x NVIDIAŽ 3D Glasses (*NVIDIAŽ GTX 780M required) (SKU - SSC014)
    - FREE! - 30 Day No Dead Pixel Warranty
    - Sager - 4th Generation IntelŽ Haswell Core™ i7-4700MQ (2.4GHz - 3.4GHz, 6MB IntelŽ Smart Cache) (SKU – SPU201)
    - FREE! - IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU
    - NVIDIAŽ GeForce™ GTX 780M (4.0GB) GDDR5 PCI-Express DX11 [User Upgradeable] (SKU – GPU010)
    - 16GB - DDR3 1600MHz Dual Channel Memory (2 SODIMMS) (SKU - S4S822AP)
    - 250GB Samsung 840 EVO Series mSATA SSD - Preconfigured as an OS Drive ( Operating System – Drive C: )
    - FREE UPGRADE! - 1TB 5400RPM [SATA II - 3GB/s] (SKU - HDD098)
    - 6X Blu-Ray Reader + 8X DVDRW/CDRW Super Multi Combo Drive (Sager) (SKU - ODD084)
    - Sager - IntelŽ Dual Band AC 7260 802.11 A/AC/B/G/N 2.4/5.0GHz + Bluetooth™ 4.0 (SKU - WIFI94)
    - ~Windows 8.1 - 64-Bit (64-Bit CD Included) + MS Office 2013 Trial
    - LIFETIME Ltd Labor* 1 Year Parts Warranty Lifetime 24/7 DOMESTIC Technical Support (Labor through XPC)
    Includes FREE Shipping Both Ways for Parts Warranty Repairs (SKU - WTY099)

MSI GT70 2OD-039US - Dragon Edition 2 - $2684
    - 17.3" FHD 16:9 "Matte Type" Super Clear Ultra Bright LED Matte Screen (1920x1080)
    - FREE!!! - 30 Day "No Dead Pixel" Guarantee! - ($35.00 Value!) (Limited Time Only / XPC Service)
    - Stock OEM Thermal Compound ( IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU Provided FREE with Processor Upgrade!)
    - NVIDIAŽ GeForce™ GTX 780M (4.0GB) GDDR5 PCI-Express DX11 w/ Optimus™ Technology
    - 32GB DDR3 1600MHz [SKU-844AP] (Dual Channel Memory (4x8GB SODIMMS)) - Default
    - mSATA Option: Operating System Installed [Default] w/ mSATA(s) selected below
    - 128GB Solid State Drive (Super RAID 2) mSATA - [ In Primary Hard Drive Bay ]
    - 1TB 5400RPM (SATA II - 3GB/s) - Default (SKU - HDD019)
    - 6x Blu-Ray Reader + 8x DVDRW/CDRW Super Multi Combo Drive (SKU – ODD005)
    - IntelŽ Dual Band AC 7260 802.11 A/AC/B/G/N 2.4/5.0GHz + Bluetooth 4.0 / WiDi | Up to 300/867Mbps (2x2) (SKU - WIFI04)
    - 2 Year MSI US/Canada Parts & Labor 1 Year Global Warranty w/ Lifetime Tech Support
    + 1 Year Accidental Damage Warranty (Requires Registration within 30 Days from Ship Date) (SKU - WTY007)

Comment

Working...
    X