• Welcome to XOTIC PC Forums! If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for a New Gaming Laptop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a New Gaming Laptop

I've been allotted a $3000 budget for my new gaming laptop so I'm trying to figure out what the best configuration would be to get the most that I can out of the specs for the budget. I'll be using it primarily for gaming so I'm considering SLI with a laptop cooler because it'll be plugged in all the time, and because I don't think I'll be getting more than 16GB of RAM or a massive SSD. I don't know much about SLI except the increase in performance, heat and energy consumption though. How should I deal with the increased heat? I'm definitely getting a laptop cooling pad if I decide on SLI but is there anything else that I could use to lower heat? I'd also like to try undervolting; is undervolting limited to only the CPU or can a GPU be undervolted or not used completely? If I got SLI would I have the option to use only one to lower temperature?

- Unfortunately due to my current living situation it MUST be a laptop

- Preferably 18" screen with 1920x1080 resolution, or 17" screen

- I know I don't need it for gaming but I'd still prefer an i7

- Minimum of 4GB RAM, preferably 8GB RAM but no more than 16GB

- Weight is not an issue

- SSD not required, but certainly welcome

- Looking to play games on Max/High settings with 60fps with a GTX 980M or GTX 980M SLI

-Must have a optical drive

-Must have a built in mic

-Webcam optional

-Battery life is irrelevant because I will be plugged in whenever in use.

$3000 budget

I've done some research and I know I DON'T want an Alienware, Dell, Acer or Lenovo. I've been considering a $3000 configuration of a Sager laptop, the MSI Titan, or the ASUS G751JY-DH71 from xoticpc.com but I'm open to recommendations (hence this thread). If anyone has any recommendations for a $3000 configuration of a gaming laptop that exactly or closely fits these requirements I'd appreciate them.

Again, unfortunately it MUST be a laptop.

Also, it's worth noting that I used to have an Alienware M18x. I loved it but I soon found out that Alienware is an overpriced rip-off brand...even though my own personal experience with my M18x was very good. I found out that I could've have gotten better laptops for cheaper even though my M18x was great. The specifications weren't worth the price tag as I found out that Alienware is guilty of. Dell doesn't currently offer any laptops I want and they have notoriously AWFUL customer service; when I checked (admittedly weeks ago) the Dell Facebook is literally nothing but complaints about the customer service.

I'm not tremendously interested in Acer's or Lenovo's gaming laptops, especially since I want to maximize the $3000 budget I've been allotted but I'll certainly consider any recommendations. The Acer VN7-791G-792A and the Lenovo Y series are okay but I think I can do better. As I've heard plenty of excellent reviews I may consider the ASUS G751JY-DH71 but I'm not happy about the laptop being difficult to take apart or the battery being impossible to remove. I also don't like the placement of the eject button for the optical drive.

I'm considering a $3000 configuration of the Sager NP9377 or the MSI GT80 Titan so far. If I decide to get my new laptop with SLI what do you recommend for adequate laptop cooling? Will a laptop cooler be sufficient? I'm also considering CPU undervolting if that would help. Would I be able to turn off/disable one GPU if I wanted, in order to save energy and lower temperature? The laptop will be primarily used for gaming and be plugged in constantly.

I've been getting a lot of ASUS recommendations, specifically for the ASUS G751JY. I'm still interested in the MSI Titan but the position of the keyboard is really off-putting, I don't want to deal with all the bloatware (especially since I still have to learn how to install an OS yet) and I've heard about some bad experiences with MSI. If I got the MSI Titan I'll get xoticpc to remove the bloatware if I can't learn how to install the OS myself. I don't like how the ASUS laptop is difficult to take apart, how its impossible to remove the battery and where the optical drive eject button is. I still don't know as much as I would like to about Sager so I might just pick between the MSI Titan and ASUS G751JY. I plan to watch some Youtube reviews and read some more reviews before I make my decision but I think it's come down to those three so far. The Gigabyte P37X is an excellent recommendation I received but I don't like how hot the laptop can get because it is so thin (although I acknowledge that this is because it is very light-weight). I also don't like how the laptop caps framerates when the fan isn't at full speed. It's also very noisy but the noise and heat are surely to be expected in a gaming laptop, especially one so thin. Thank you for any help in advance.

You have a lot of good choices for your budget, MSI, Sager and ASUS are the best choices. I would say SSD is not an option but required, 256GB minimum or 500GB for your primary drive. Load your games on it and you'll notice a big difference in load times. The dragon series MSI is cool if you like some stand out graphics. The Sager NP9772 & ASUS g751jy have IPS screens.

Sager NP9772-S (Clevo P770ZM) - $2314
    - 17.3” FHD 16:9 LED Backlit Wide screen (1920x1080) Super Clear Matte Type Sager IPS Screen (SKU - SSC879)
    - Sager - 4th Generation IntelŽ Haswell Core™ i7-4790K Unlocked [Z97 Chipset] (4.0GHz - 4.4GHz, 8MB IntelŽ Smart Cache) (SKU – SPUZ02)
    - FREE! - IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU
    - NVIDIAŽ GeForce™ GTX 980M (8.0GB) GDDR5 PCI-Express DX11 (Maxwell) [User Upgradeable] (SKU – GPU03X)
    - 16GB DDR3 1600MHz [2x8GB] Dual Channel Memory (SKU - RAM04S)
    - mSATA Slot 1 Preconfigured as an OS Drive ( Operating System – Drive C: ) / mSATA Slot 2 ( Storage Drive )
    - 256GB Micron M600 M.2 mSATA SSD
    - 1TB 7200RPM [SATA II - 3GB/s] (SKU - HDDYY1)
    - Standard 330W Sager AC Adapter
    - ~Windows 8.1 - 64-Bit (64-Bit CD Included) + MS Office 2013 Trial

Sager NP9377-S (Clevo P377SM-A) - $2774
    - 17.3" FHD 16:9 "Matte Type" Super Clear Ultra Bright LED Anti-Glare Screen (1920x1080) (SKU - SSC002)
    - Sager - 4th Generation IntelŽ Haswell Core™ i7-4710MQ (2.5GHz - 3.5GHz, 6MB IntelŽ Smart Cache) (SKU – SPU201)
    - FREE! - IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU
    - SLI (2x) - NVIDIAŽ GeForce™ GTX 980M (16.0GB total) GDDR5 PCI-Express DX11 (Maxwell) [User Upgradeable] (SKU – GPU04X)
    - 16GB DDR3 1600MHz [2x8GB] Kingston HYPER X (CL9) Dual Channel Memory (SKU - RAMX99)
    - 250GB Samsung 850 EVO Series mSATA SSD - Default
    - 1TB 7200RPM [SATA II - 3GB/s] (SKU - HDDYY1)
    - 8X Super Multi DVDRW/CDRW Combo Drive (Sager) (Dual Layer w/ Software) (When selecting a Hard Drive in the Optical Bay, No Optical Drive is Included) (SKU - ODD085)
    - ~Windows 8.1 - 64-Bit (64-Bit CD Included) + MS Office 2013 Trial

MSI GT72 Dominator Pro Dragon-695 - $2579
    - 17.3" FHD 16:9 "Matte Type" Anti-Glare Ultra Bright Screen (1920x1080)
    - 4th Generation IntelŽ Haswell Core™ i7-4870HQ (2.5GHz - 3.7GHz, 6MB IntelŽ Smart Cache)
    - IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU (Cools better than all Compounds) (XPC Service)
    - NVIDIAŽ GeForce™ GTX 980M (8.0GB) GDDR5 PCI-Express DX11 (Maxwell) w/ Optimus™ Technology
    - 24GB DDR3 1600MHz [SKU-834P] (Dual Channel Memory (3x8GB SODIMMS)) - Default
    - 128GB Solid State Drive [M.2] mSATA - Stock
    - 1TB 7200RPM (SATA III - 6GB/s) - Default (SKU - HDD025)
    - Slim - Blu-Ray Reader + DVDRW/CDRW Super Multi Combo Drive (SKU - ODD710)
    - WINDOWS 8.1 - 64-Bit (Pre-Installed)

MSI GT80 Titan-071 (2 x 970M in SLI) - $2779
    - 18.4" (60Hz) WideFHD WLED (1920x1080) Matte-Type Screen
    - 4th Generation IntelŽ Haswell Core™ i7-4720HQ (2.6GHz - 3.6GHz, 6MB IntelŽ Smart Cache)
    - IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU (Cools better than all Compounds) (XPC Service)
    - SLI (2x) - NVIDIAŽ GeForce™ GTX 970M (12.0GB total) GDDR5 PCI-Express DX11 (SKU – GPU02X)
    - 16GB DDR3 1600MHz [SKU-824P] (Dual Channel Memory (2x8GB SODIMMS)) - Default

ASUS G751JY-DH72X - $2979
    - 17.3" FHD 16:9 "Matte Type" Anti-Glare Ultra Bright IPS Screen (1920x1080)
    - 4th Generation IntelŽ Haswell Core™ i7-4860HQ (2.4GHz - 3.6GHz, 6MB IntelŽ Smart Cache)
    - NVIDIAŽ GeForce™ GTX 980M (4.0GB) GDDR5 PCI-Express DX11 (Maxwell)
    - 32GB DDR3 1600MHz [SKU-844AP] (Dual Channel Memory (4x8GB SODIMMS)) - Default
    - 512GB Solid State Drive [M.2] mSATA (PCIe Installed - 10GB/s) - Stock

Comment

After some more research I'm probably going to end up choosing the Sager NP9377 in order to maximize my specs for my budget but I'm worried about a few things.

I heard from another thread that the i7 4710HQ is "such a limiting factor, its not even funny'" but someone else on another forum said that none of the quad-core i7 processors would bottleneck 980m SLI. That's why I posted this thread. I don't know how to figure out what processors won't bottleneck a GPU setup, specifically which i7 processor won't bottleneck a 980M SLI setup. One person said the 4710HQ would be limiting and someone else said none of the i7s would bottleneck 980M SLI.

I'm also worried about the display. The display is supposed to be an IPS display at 60Hz I think and TN displays are supposed to be better because they're faster. Is it really a huge difference when gaming or is it something I can deal with?

I'm still open to suggestions and would appreciate any advice. Thank you.

Comment

Get a ASUS or MSI, they are good for gaming

Comment

You can get a decent gaming laptop in that price, and here are some choices http://pcgamerhome.com/best-gaming-laptop

Comment

Working...
          X