• Welcome to XOTIC PC Forums! If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No idea what to buy... please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No idea what to buy... please help

First of all, hello to everyone. Maybe some of you might know me from iptf forums but if you dont thats too bad..

Anyways, i have a buying crisis. I have about 3600 aussie dollars to spend ona laptop and im thinking of a sager np5793 or a sager np9262. But i cant decide. the 5793 looks better (doesnt really matter because im getting full body skin) and is about half an inch thinner but the 9262 has quad-core and 3 ghz options and sli video cards.

My specs for the np5793 would be:
    • intel extreme 2.8 ghz
    • WUXGA screen
    • 512MB PCI-Express nVidia GeForce 8800M GTX DX10
    • 4gig ram
    • 1gig intel robson turbo memory
    • Entire Laptop Painted with Any Color, Logo or Graphic
    • 160GB 7200RPM hd
    • Windows Vista Ultimate 64-Bit
    all that and some other extras (like mouse, cooler) come to $3585.12.

My specs for the np9262 would be:
    • WUXGA screen
    • Intel Core 2 QUAD Q6700 2.66GHz
    • 512MB PCI-Express nVidia GeForce 8800GTX
    • 4gig ram
    • Entire Laptop Painted with Any Color, Logo or Graphic
    • two 100GB 7200RPM hd and vista ultimate 64bit
      All this adds up to 3577.36 (ncluding mouse, cooler and program suite).
    Please help me!

A few questions...

What are you using it for (other than Crysis)?
    Are you planning on traveling much with it?

The NP9262 is obviously the most powerful out of the two, however that does come at a price. It is BIG and not going to be fun if you carry it around much. Both are desktop replacements, but the 9262 is quite a bit heavier.

Depending on what you are using it for the quad core may or may not benefit you as much as you think. Same with the SLI, although more and more games now benefit from SLI. Crysis should benefit from it.

IMHO the 5793 does look much better. I have a friend who has one and it is a really sharp looking laptop. The 9262 is not ugly, but it lacks style. Personally I am not as big on the style side, but that is what I see.

I will say this either way you are going to be happy! The people I know that have either one of these have dropped the desktops completely.

Good luck!
    Last edited by clintre; 05-19-2008, 08:59 AM.
    Sager NP9170 | Core i7-3610QM | 16GB DDR3 | AMD 7970m | SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD | 500GB HD <-Ordered 6/6 - Shipped
    Clevo W860CU
    | Core i7-720QM | 8GB DDR3 | nVidia 280m | 500GB HD
    << FOR SALE $500 obo

World Entrepreneurs Network

Comment

double post sorry.
      Sager NP9170 | Core i7-3610QM | 16GB DDR3 | AMD 7970m | SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD | 500GB HD <-Ordered 6/6 - Shipped
      Clevo W860CU
      | Core i7-720QM | 8GB DDR3 | nVidia 280m | 500GB HD
      << FOR SALE $500 obo

World Entrepreneurs Network

Comment

My advice is to hold out for a while longer, until they release the next M860TU and M570TU models. New platforms can bring regret to late buyers .
        Sager NP5792

Microsoft Windows Vista Premium 64-Bit
        17" WUXGA
        Intel Core 2 Duo T7700 2.4GHz
        4 GB DDR2 667 RAM
        1 GB Intel Robson Turbo Memory
        500 GB 7200RPM Seagate Momentus HD
        nVidia GeForce 8800M GTX 512MB GDDR3

FORUM TROLL 4 LIFE
        http://teamamerimixwcg.blogspot.com/...online_05.html

Comment

my advice is to get the more powerful of the two. plus the exteme core is a waste of money unless you know what ur doing and plan on overclocking, cause thats the only benefit of it...all multipliers unlocked. to me, notebook looks arent as important as performance. both will kick butt and are well made though. OCG has the 5972 and i hv the 9262. he can tell u everything about his and im sure he loves his, and the same on my end. any questions just ask us...laterz
          Sager np9262: 17" 1920x1200wuxga, E6850 Core2duo 3.0ghz 1.3ghz fsb 4mb L2 cache, 4Gb 800mhz ram, 1x nvidia geforce 8800mgtx 512mb gpu, 3x100gb hdd 7200rpm, Raid 0, vista ultimate x64 os, tv tuner, x-fi 7.1 sound card, triple fan cooler, 3Dmark06 9745

Comment

My NP5792 is a required comfort throughout my week. It's like a favorite blanket to a small child.... not that I actually sleep with my lappy.... though I have been tempted.... note to self- "end posts before revealing strange personal habits". But seriously now, the NP5792 has an excellent build quality, is very mobile, and can play most games at ultra high resolutions at max graphics; Crysis is the only exception. I once again am just putting my two cents on waiting for the new models to be released, as you will miss out on a lot of potential upgrades.
            Sager NP5792

17" WUXGA
            4 GB DDR2 667 RAM

FORUM TROLL 4 LIFE

Comment

I don't know if this will help or not. I actually made this exact same post not too long ago. I was bent on getting the 5793 because it looked cool and was slightly more portable. But then I got the 9262.

I guess what threw me last minute was the slight upgrade to 3.0Ghz w/ 6MB cache and the fact that 2 hard drives is better than 1. Its a lot easier running my music locally then having to plug in an external drive each time.

Like was mentioned, I think either way you will be satisfied. I still keep wondering if I should've purchased the 5793. But I'm pretty sure if I had gotten it, I'd be wondering if I should have purchased the 9262!

I ended up getting:

3.0Ghz 6MB Cache
              4GB Ram
              512 MB 8800 GTX
              2x200GB 7200RPM
              Vista x64 Home Premium

I thought it would be a little better in gaming. It seems while playing Stalker: Chernobyl and Half Life 2 (at [email protected] resolution, max settings) there is slight lag. I guess I have to tweak a bit. But I'm happy.

Comment

If you plan to use this machine on battery at all I would advise against Windows Vista. I haven't seen PowerMizer working correctly on Vista and your 8800M is going to suck battery fast without some kind of power control.

Comment

I second OCD..er OCG! (though with recent revelations about his sleep paterns OCD may not be far off :P)

seriously though... new processors are literally around the corner which will lower costs of existing and offer higher end gaming! waiting a few weeks may not be a horrible price to pay for that extra cash or better system. As mentioned earlier you will be blown away by either system.

The true question you should use to decide is whether you plan on using it as a mobile laptop or just leaving it in one location. OCG has mentioned taking his to school and using it between school and home... I too use the NP5792 on the go, especially sundays when family obligations have us carting the family from east to west! The machine travels very well especially when an outlet is avalible. While I know the NP9262 does transport as well... its probably not something you will want to set up for 20 min uses at a time. All that to say portablility is the main reason people choose the NP5792 over the NP9262. If you are not planning on weekly/daily travel with the system, the NP9262 offers many advantages over the NP5792.

one last note(I promise). I would spend the money on a hardware upgrade rather than the skin or paint job, especially if you are on a budget. While I can't say for sure with the NP9262, The NP5792 looks really slick with the carbon scoring and orange (almost copper) "racing stripe." I think the money would be better spent on a HD upgrade or some other performance hardware. just my humble opinion

Enjoy
                  Sager NP5792
                  Alienware M11x-R1
                  WUXGA Glossy
                  11.6" WXVGA Glossy
                  2.4GHz Core 2 Duo
                  1.3GHz CULV Core 2 Duo OCed to 1.76GHz
                  GeForce 8800GTX
                  GeForce GT 335m
                  4,096 DDR2 667 Memory
                  4,096 DDR3 800 Memory
                  200 Gb 7200 RPM SATA 150
                  128 Gb GSkill Falcon SSD
                  64 bit Vista Home Premium
                  Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium

Comment

Originally posted by kpauls View Post
                    If you plan to use this machine on battery at all I would advise against Windows Vista. I haven't seen PowerMizer working correctly on Vista and your 8800M is going to suck battery fast without some kind of power control.
                    Really? Don't the Power Saver, Balanced and High Power options work?

Comment

On power saver I get about an hour and a half of battery life, but don't even bother gaming off of AC with any new games because the GPU can't get enough power to run properly. Old games and web browsing is fine though. Also a quick tip, don't have power saver mode on while plugged in or you get weird frame drops.... odd things tend to happen with high performance laptops. OCD FTW!
                      Sager NP5792

17" WUXGA
                      4 GB DDR2 667 RAM

FORUM TROLL 4 LIFE

Comment

the power saver feature on the 9262 will get you about 25 to 30 min of hardcore gaming...something like that. on idle with nothing running it will last a little over an hour. if you get this wonderful 9262 machine, PLAN to have ac current in your immediate vacinity or you will be in tears. lol
                        Sager np9262: 17" 1920x1200wuxga, E6850 Core2duo 3.0ghz 1.3ghz fsb 4mb L2 cache, 4Gb 800mhz ram, 1x nvidia geforce 8800mgtx 512mb gpu, 3x100gb hdd 7200rpm, Raid 0, vista ultimate x64 os, tv tuner, x-fi 7.1 sound card, triple fan cooler, 3Dmark06 9745

Comment

Originally posted by tenuulch View Post
                          Really? Don't the Power Saver, Balanced and High Power options work?
                          They work, but even if they extend to the GPU (looks like they... sortof do...) there is no way to customize GPU settings for the power saver modes.

GPU-Z sensors tab reports GPU Core Clock
                          200.0 MHz - unplugged on power saver, no games running (vista Aero power saver tho)
                          275.0 MHz - unplugged on power saver, wow loading screen
                          200.0 MHz - unplugged on max performance, no games
                          275.0 MHz - unplugged on max performance, wow loading screen
                          200.0 MHz - plugged in on max performance, no games
                          500.0 MHz - plugged in on max performance, wow loading screen
                          200.0 MHz - plugged in on power saver, no games
                          275.0 MHz - plugged in on power saver, wow loading screen

so... I guess you've got one option for limiting the power consumption (and heat!)

but I can't change these settings

Comment

Originally posted by OregonCoastGamer View Post
                            My advice is to hold out for a while longer, until they release the next M860TU and M570TU models. New platforms can bring regret to late buyers .
                            i might just wait for that

Comment

i heard somthing about how the sager 5792 has support for the new 9800 video cards

Comment

Working...
                              X