• Welcome to XOTIC PC Forums! If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NP9262 (Intel® X9000 45nm) or NP5793 (Intel Core 2 QUAD Q9450)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NP9262 (Intel® X9000 45nm) or NP5793 (Intel Core 2 QUAD Q9450)

Hello everyone!
    I'm in the process of buying a new laptop. It will be used as my school computer (so I will be carrying it around alot), and as a gaming computer when I'm at home. I picked the 9262 and 5793, but the 5793 is running the "Intel® X9000 45nm "Penryn" Core™2 Duo Extreme 2.8GHz", while the 9262 has the "Intel Core 2 QUAD Q9450 2.6GHz".

Basically, I'm basing my decision more on the processor as the other specs are pretty much the same. Also, I don't mind the 9262 being bigger unless it is twice the 5793's weight or something rediculous. Anyways, if I don't plan to overclock the duo 2.8 (maybe later on when I know more about overclocking), which processor would most of you recommend.

Also, I haven't decided on a OS. I like XP, but I'm wondering if Vista would be a better choice as I hope this computer can last me for 3ish years.

Anyways, here are the specs for both. Feel free to suggest changes or just scroll through if you have suggestions about the earlier questions.

THANKS!
    Sager NP5793 Custom Sager Notebook (Built on Clevo M570RU-U / M571RU-U) $3079.00
    - 3 Year Labor* 1 Year Parts Warranty Lifetime 24/7 DOMESTIC Toll Free Tech Support
    (Year2 & 3 Labor Warranty through Xotic PC)
    - ~Windows Vista Home Premium 64-Bit Installed (64&32-Bit CD Included) w/ Drivers & Utilities CD's
    - Integrated Fingerprint Reader
    - Full Range Auto Switching AC Adapter - Included
    - Smart Li-ion Battery (8-Cell)
    - Basic Black Business Case - Included
    - Sound Blaster Compatible 3D Audio - Included
    - Built in 2.0 Megapixel Camera
    - Built-in Intel® PRO/Wireless 4965 802.11 a/g/n
    - Internal Bluetooth 2.0+ EDR
    - Internal 7-in-1 Card Reader (MS/MS Pro/MS Duo/MS Pro Duo/SD/Mini-SD/MMC/RS)
    - ~ 200GB 7200RPM (Serial-ATA II 300 - 16MB Cache)
    - ~Combo 8x8x6x4x Dual Layer DVD +/-R/RW 5x DVD-RAM 24x CD-R/RW Drive w/Softwares
    - NP5792/5793 Orange Frame Trim Color
    - ~ SPECIAL~ 4,096MB DDR2 667 PC2 5300 (2 SODIMMS) Dual Channel Memory (Requires Vista 64-Bit to recognize Full 4GB) FREE UPGRADE
    - None Standard
    - 512MB PCI-Express nVidia GeForce 8800M GTX DX10 (User Upgradeable)
    - ~Intel® X9000 45nm "Penryn" Core™2 Duo Extreme 2.8GHz w/6MB L2 On-die cache - 800MHz FSB
    (Overclockable up to 3.2GHz!)
    - Standard Dead Pixel Policy
    - Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound
    - 17" WUXGA "Glare Type" Super Clear Ultra Bright Glossy Screen (1920x1200)

SAGER NP9262 Ultimate Custom Laptop (Built on Clevo D900C / D901C) $3002.00
    - 512MB PCI-Express nVidia GeForce 8800GTX DX10 (User Upgradeable)
    - ~Intel Core 2 QUAD Q9450 2.6GHz w/ 12MB L2 Cache - 1333MHz FSB (Limited Quantities Available)
    - Standard Dead Pixel Policy
    - Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound
    - 17" WUXGA "Glare Type" Super Clear Ultra Bright Glossy Screen (1920x1200)
    - 3 Year Labor* 1 Year Parts Warranty Lifetime 24/7 DOMESTIC Toll Free Tech Support
    (Year2 & 3 Labor Warranty through Xotic PC)
    - ~Windows Vista Home Premium 64-Bit Installed (64&32-Bit CD Included) w/ Drivers & Utilities CD's
    - Logitech MX518 2-Tone 8 Buttons Optical Mouse
    - Full Range Auto Switching AC Adapter - Included
    - Smart Li-ion Battery (12 Cell)
    - Basic Black Business Case - Included
    - Sound Blaster Compatible 3D Audio - Included
    - Built in 2.0 Megapixel Camera
    - Built-in Intel® PRO/Wireless 4965 802.11 a/g/n
    - Internal Bluetooth 2.0+ EDR
    - Internal 7-in-1 Card Reader (MS/MS Pro/MS Duo/MS Pro Duo/SD/Mini-SD/MMC/RS)
    - HDD Raid Settings - OFF
    - ~ 200GB 7200RPM (Serial-ATA II 300 - 16MB Cache)
    - ~Combo 8x8x6x4x Dual Layer DVD +/-R/RW 5x DVD-RAM 24x CD-R/RW Drive w/Softwares
    - Standard Finish
    - ~ 4,096MB DDR2 800 (2 SODIMMS) Dual Channel Memory (Requires Vista 64-Bit to recognize Full 4GB)
    Last edited by [email protected]; 05-28-2008, 04:58 PM. Reason: removed the "None Standard" in the configurations for a cleaner layout

9262 or 5793

It's a really hard decision when choosing between these two models as they are both excellent. The Q9450 would be my choice for a processor and the 9262 has more expandability. The 5793 on the other hand has a longer battery life, and is a much more portable laptop but still excellent processing power. The 9262 will be a heavier machine weighting in around 12-15 lbs (depending on your configuration) and the 5793 will be about 8-9 lbs. As for the operating system vista would be my first choice. I use home premium and primarily do gaming on my computer and it runs all of the games that i play.

Comment

not sure if its just a rumor but i heard they will stop offering the auto updates for xp soon, and if thats true i DEFINITELY wouldnt opt for xp(although it does have some advantages over vista). personally id go with vista ultimate(either bit). go with the times of today and not yesterday. virtually every pc being made comes standard with some version of vista so that aughta tell ya something. lol i even hear that MS is coming up with a NEW OS in 2009 with beta versions. guess we will see. laterz...
      Sager np9262: 17" 1920x1200wuxga, E6850 Core2duo 3.0ghz 1.3ghz fsb 4mb L2 cache, 4Gb 800mhz ram, 1x nvidia geforce 8800mgtx 512mb gpu, 3x100gb hdd 7200rpm, Raid 0, vista ultimate x64 os, tv tuner, x-fi 7.1 sound card, triple fan cooler, 3Dmark06 9745

Comment

I bought the 9262, and it's a powerhouse for sure, but I bought it because I have plans to add a second 8800m GTX in SLI. If you don't have those plans, then the 5793 is much better buy. Also, quad cores do nothing for games atm, so the faster duel cores are always the way to go imo.

I kinda regret buying the 9262 because of how big it is, the power brick is HUGE and the laptop itself weights a ton, and I lug it all over here in iraq. I'm very happy with it's performance though.

Imo, if you're going to lug it around a lot, and only plan on using 1 8800m GTX (Which plays everything great as of right now), then the better buy is the 5793.

Comment

Hmm... good luck lagging around 9~13 pounds around school.

it's been said many time before and i'll just repeat the finer points:
          1. Faster clock speed equals better gaming. BUT, a lot of games WILL be limited by that 8800M rather than either CPU
          2. quad core better future-proofing (assuming software moves in that direction) and optimized on some apps like photoshop.

So basically it boils down to
          1. how long u expect this laptop to last
          2. do u need quad core for apps now?
          3. can u stand to carry the equivalent of another smaller laptop?

Comment

Well I carry around the 9262 just about everywhere I go, it's not THAT heavy. and that says a lot considering i'm over here in Iraq, and if I don't mind lugging the 9262 2-3 miles a day, in 120+ degree weather, i'm sure walking around a school campus with the 9262 in EastbumsVill, TN won't break him off.

Honestly, quad cores do almost nothing as of right now, and by the time they do, there will be MUCH better quad core CPU's out. the X9000 and the E8400 are both really good for games, i'm sure the difference between the 2 CPU's are less then 2-3fps on most games.

So bottom line comes down the 8800m GTX. If you want 2 8800m's in SLI, then you have to get the 9262. But if you don't plan to get a second 8800m, might as well buy the 5793. It's lighter, has better battery life, and play games exactly the same as a 9262 with 1 8800m in it.

I wish people would get over the quad core junk, slower clock speeds, higher price, and lack of programs that take advantage of the extra cores it makes it a lame choice imo.

Comment

Decisions Decisions

OK! As the above have pointed out there are advantages and disadvantages to both lap tops.

As one that has gone over the same decision making process I can offer some advice. The 9262 is a true desktop replacement with the advantage of a desktop processor. Unfortunately it is heavy and does not last long on battery power. It is also a heat generating device. The people that sit in front of you in a lecture hall may not appreciate a small hair dryer hitting them in the back of the head.

As far as the difference in quad vs dual core right now unless you are rendering a lot of video's or have a multi-core enabled game the results are mostly for the dual core. Complete results available in the link below.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=235021

My own decision between the 9262 and the 5793? I am opting for the 5793 just because of the heat generated by the unit and the fact that there is no 12 volt adapter available for the 9262 (we live on a boat.) The 5793 can last longer under battery power as you have a 45 watt laptop CPU. With the GPU not engaged it can last about 90 minuets, as others have reported here . With a desktop chip the 3.0 Ghz offering for the 9262, the E8400, is rated at 65 watts and the Quads are rated at 95 watts. These beasts take power and the battery does not last long enough to sit through a lecture. So if you want the laptop to last without being connected to AC power best go with a laptop that can be without AC for a while.

My vote is for the 5793
              Sometimes living on a boat is like living in a cave.

Comment

Where I agree on your logic Rader, a few things i'd like to point out.

The heat mainly comes from the 8800m GTX, so the heat given off from a 5273 and that of the 9262 are exactly the same, and I believe the 9262 has better airflow for cooling, so if you want to be technical, i'd say the 5273 is probably hotter. Even so, it's not really that hot when you turn the fan on max speed, I played The Witcher with the 9262 on my lap for 2 hours and didn't have any discomfort.

2nd, the battery life of the 9262 on High Performance and Full screen brightness is over an hour and a half, and you can simply set the power settings to a reasonable level and squeeze out another hour or 2 out of it i'm sure. And considering that a "lecture" is probably 1-2 hours max anywho, the 9262 would again, do the job fine .

All and all though, I think a few pounds lighter and a little more battery life makes the 5793 the better choice for him simply because he doesn't seem to want the 2nd video card.

But remember, the 5793 is a beast of a laptop too. it's pretty damn huge where you compare it to 14inch laptops that weight 4 pounds lol. Maybe you can opt for a cheap 14" laptop to take to class and just buy a sweet gaming PC for your room? Thats always an option too. Lots of 14 and 15" laptops out there that get great battery life and only cost 300-400 bucks. You can't play games on them, but if you just want a laptop to take to class, i'm sure you're not worried about how many FPS you can get in Crysis during a school lecture lol.

Comment

lol...heat...im NOTHING but satisfied with my 9262. on idle screen with fans running max and my custom cooler i built, my GPU temp goes all the way down to 87.5 degrees farenheit, and both my E6850 3.0Ghz cores stay at 91.4 degrees farenheit. wow thats steamin hu. lol playing crysis for 2 hrs straight on all medium settings my cpu gets to around 120 and my gpu to 114. whats the problem with the heat? i dont have any...
                  Springers final thoughts...hmmmmmmmmm
                  Sager np9262: 17" 1920x1200wuxga, E6850 Core2duo 3.0ghz 1.3ghz fsb 4mb L2 cache, 4Gb 800mhz ram, 1x nvidia geforce 8800mgtx 512mb gpu, 3x100gb hdd 7200rpm, Raid 0, vista ultimate x64 os, tv tuner, x-fi 7.1 sound card, triple fan cooler, 3Dmark06 9745

Comment

Hmmm! I am reconsidering again, gee thanks?

Originally posted by bargegod View Post
                    lol...heat...im NOTHING but satisfied with my 9262. on idle screen with fans running max and my custom cooler i built, my GPU temp goes all the way down to 87.5 degrees farenheit, and both my E6850 3.0Ghz cores stay at 91.4 degrees farenheit. wow thats steamin hu. lol playing crysis for 2 hrs straight on all medium settings my cpu gets to around 120 and my gpu to 114. whats the problem with the heat? i dont have any...
                    Springers final thoughts...hmmmmmmmmm
                    Careful guys you just might get me to get the big dog with a quad. Especially after bargegod straightened me out about the Intel core clock speeds etc..... What is 95 watts on a new Quad anyway?

Now I have to make a choice within the next 48 hours LOL. So I'll probably be lugging around a monster, but isn't that why I got the laptop bag with built in wheels? So what is a 400 dollar difference between the 5793 anyway? At least this way I can have lots more hard drives and a desktop CPU. I will stick with a single 8800 for now. My wife will be ecstatic if i get it.
                    Sometimes living on a boat is like living in a cave.

Comment

yeah, get the big dog. lol

Comment

Working...
                      X