• Welcome to XOTIC PC Forums! If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gaming Laptop needed in USA.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gaming Laptop needed in USA.

General Questions

1) What is your budget?

At the max about $2500

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    a. Ultraportable; 12" screen or less
    b. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen
    c. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    d. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen

B or C. But I'd prefer the 15-16".

3) Please select your country's flag as a post icon and tell us what country are you buying this in.

Buying it from and sending it to the USA.

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?

I'd say I have an open mind on it.

5) What tasks will you be performing with the notebook?

May bring it to school, but I'm going to be using it mostly for playing video games while listening to my tunes.

6) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places or leaving it on your desk?

For the most part I'm gonna have it on my desk but I may occasionally bring it to school, Which is why I'd prefer a 15-16 over 17 but I can do both.

7) Will you be playing games on it; if so, which games?

Age of Conan, Warcraft III, Civilization 4, Team Fortress 2, Counter Strike Source, Counter Strike, Mass Effect, Assasin's Creed, COD4, (Crysis if possible) and games that come out in the next couple of year.

Basicly needs to run games that come out in the next few years.

8) How many hours of battery life do you need?

It'll mostly be a Desktop Replacement so not that many, but occasionally I might take it places.

9) Do you mind buying online without seeing the notebook in person?

Not at all =)

10) What OS do you prefer? Windows (XP or Vista), Mac OS, Linux, etc.

Obviously I need 64bit Vista for gaming.

Screen Specifics

11) Would you prefer standard or widescreen?

Whatever's best for gaming.

12) From the choices below, what screen resolutions would you prefer? (more details below)
    Standard
    a. XGA -1024x768 - Large and easy to read text + graphics icons, but you fit less stuff on the screen.
    b. SXGA - 1400x1050 - Compromise resolution between XGA and UXGA.
    c. UXGA - 1600x1200 - Very small text and graphics icons, you can fit lots of stuff on the screen.

Widescreen
    d. WXGA or WXGA+ - 1280x768/800 or 1440x900; Wider viewing version of XGA, good for movie viewing or spreadsheets.
    e. WSXGA+ - 1680x1050; Wider viewing version of SXGA, good for movie viewing or spreadsheets.
    f. WUXGA - 1920x1200; Wider viewing version of UXGA, good for movie viewing or spreadsheets.

D, E, and F. (I'm guessing those are best for the new games coming out.)

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non glossy screen? (Read below on differences)
    Build Quality and Design

This I'm not so sure about, I don't really think I need the glossy reflective screen however so i'm going to put down Non Glossy. If I could get some more opinions from you guys it'd be nice.

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?

Power > Stylishness But Stylishness=Good as long as it doesnt effect the capabilities of it.

15) When are you buying this laptop and how long do you want this laptop to last?

I'm buying it this July or August and if possible I want it to be able to handle games for the next couple of years.

Notebook Components

16) How much hard drive space do you want; 40GB to 500GB?

I can always get a external hard drive so not THAT much, but i'd like it to have 7200 or more RPM

17) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a CDRW/DVD-ROM, DVD Burner or Blu-Ray drive?

A CD Drive for the games.

Thanks!

Seems you answered all your own questions...

Comment

Well let me point out a few things.

1. if you want to play games, newer ones that is, you HAVE to get a 17 inch laptop. Reason being, is that you need a 8800m GTX to play most any newer games (Assassin's creed, crysis, bioshock, The Witcher, ect..) You could get away with a 8700 card, but then again i've never seen the 8700's in anything less than a 17". There is 1 laptop out there that is 15" and has a 8800m GTX and thats the alienwear m15x, and I hear it has huge heating issues.

My advice for the 2500 buck budget, and you want to play serious games, but want it to be pretty portable ; get the 5793 Sager w/ 2.5ghz duel core, 4 gigs of ram, 8800m GTX, and one solid hard drive. That should put you at close to 2500 bucks, and it will play some awesome games.

Also, don't bother with the 1920x1200 screen, get the standard screen. High resolutions with the single 8800m gtx makes for some games get get pretty choppy. the standard screen resolution is sharp and it allows for some great FPS in even demanding games like Crysis.

Comment

If I didn't mention it already, I'm somewhat knowledgable to computers and there hardware, my biggest lack of knowledge is in processors.

The biggest concern I have to ask you about is how long that processor is going to last me, I see that the notebook you suggested has a large list, and they seem quite different.

Comment

sorry for the double post, but I just read the part where you want it to play games for the next few years. then I HIGHLY suggest a laptop with the 8800m GTX in it. it shouldn't have any issues playing games a year or 2 from now.

Also, the only game i've found so far that can't be played on extreme high settings on 1 8800m GTX is Crysis, but I play it on mostly high settings on the max standard resolution (1680x1050) and it runs good. If you want to kick the crap outta crysis in FPS, you have to get a 9262 and get 2 8800m GTX's, but the laptop is huge and the price will be close to 3600 bucks.

Comment

NP2092. nuf said!

no seriously!

SAGER NP2092 Custom Laptop (Built on Compal JFL92)
            - 15.4" WSXGA+ "Glare Type" Super Clear Ultra Bright Glossy Screen (1680x1050) 2092
            - Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound
            - Standard Dead Pixel Policy
            - ~Intel® T9500 45nm "Penryn" Core™2 Duo 2.6GHz w/6MB L2 On-die cache - 800MHz FSB - 2092
            - 512MB PCI-Express nVidia GeForce 8600GT DX10
            - None Standard
            - ~ 4,096MB DDR2 667 PC2 5300 (2 SODIMMS) Dual Channel Memory (Requires Vista 64-Bit to recognize Full 4GB)
            - 1GB Intel® Robson Turbo Memory (Vista Only)
            - Standard Finish
            - Panasonic UJ-220 Blu-Ray Super Multi DVD+/ -R/RW BD-R/RE Dual Layer Burner -
            - ~ 320GB 5400RPM (Serial-ATA II 300 - 8MB Cache) - 2092
            - Internal 4-in-1 Card Reader (SD/MMC/MS/MS PRO)
            - Receive FREE Internal Bluetooth (Limted Time Offer)
            - Built-in Intel® PRO/Wireless 4965 802.11 a/g/n
            - Built in 2.0 Megapixel Camera
            - Sound Blaster Compatible 3D Audio - Included
            - Smart Li-ion Battery (9-Cell)
            - Full Range Auto Switching AC Adapter - Included
            - Integrated Fingerprint Reader
            - ~Windows Vista Home Premium 64-Bit Installed (64&32-Bit CD Included) w/ Drivers & Utilities CD's
            - Sager 3 Year Parts & Labor Warranty + 30 Day NO Dead Pixel Warranty, Lifetime Sager Toll Free Support

under $2300

not a bad deal

or else you could wait for the 15" 8800M GTX slated to come out later this year, but that might come out above your budjet

Happy Lappy Hunting
            Sager NP5792
            Alienware M11x-R1
            WUXGA Glossy
            11.6" WXVGA Glossy
            2.4GHz Core 2 Duo
            1.3GHz CULV Core 2 Duo OCed to 1.76GHz
            GeForce 8800GTX
            GeForce GT 335m
            4,096 DDR2 667 Memory
            4,096 DDR3 800 Memory
            200 Gb 7200 RPM SATA 150
            128 Gb GSkill Falcon SSD
            64 bit Vista Home Premium
            Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium

Comment

Now I'm not sure which one to get, third opinion please?

Comment

I also like the NP5793 for you.

You can upgrade almost everything to the midrange options and make your $2500 budget.

Go for the glossy screen. I wanted the top resolution and learned to like the glossy finish (and I'm used to keeping it clean).

I also think that you should check out the Sager NP8660 preorder page. There's not a whole lot of specs out, but this will be a 15" gaming machine. It may be difficult to wait.

(edit: oh it looks like the NP8660 is mxm type-iv... nice! and Montevina architecture!)
                Last edited by kpauls; 06-10-2008, 09:04 PM. Reason: correcting mxm info

Comment

Is waiting for that computer worth it / in my price range?

Comment

Here is what was in contention with us.

We decided to get the big dog (NP9262) as the extra money, size and weight was not to much of a problem for us as we travel briefly then stay in one place quite a while.

Sager NP5793
                    - 17" WUXGA "Glare Type" Super Clear Ultra Bright Glossy Screen (1920x1200)
                    - Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound
                    - Standard Dead Pixel Policy
                    - ~Intel® T9300 45nm "Penryn" Core™2 Duo 2.5GHz w/6MB L2 On-die cache - 800MHz FSB
                    - 512MB PCI-Express nVidia GeForce 8800M GTX DX10 (User Upgradeable)
                    - None Standard
                    - ~ SPECIAL~ 4,096MB DDR2 667 PC2 5300 (2 SODIMMS) Dual Channel Memory (Requires Vista 64-Bit to recognize Full 4GB) FREE UPGRADE
                    - None Standard
                    - NP5792/5793 Orange Frame Trim Color
                    - ~Combo 8x8x6x4x Dual Layer DVD +/-R/RW 5x DVD-RAM 24x CD-R/RW Drive w/Softwares
                    - ~ 100GB 7200RPM (Serial-ATA 150)
                    - None Standard
                    - None Standard
                    - Internal 7-in-1 Card Reader (MS/MS Pro/MS Duo/MS Pro Duo/SD/Mini-SD/MMC/RS)
                    - Internal Bluetooth 2.0+ EDR
                    - Built-in Intel® PRO/Wireless 4965 802.11 a/g/n
                    - None Standard
                    - Built in 2.0 Megapixel Camera
                    - None Standard
                    - Sound Blaster Compatible 3D Audio - Included
                    - Basic Black Business Case - Included
                    - Smart Li-ion Battery (8-Cell)
                    - Full Range Auto Switching AC Adapter - Included
                    - None Standard
                    - None Standard
                    - Integrated Fingerprint Reader
                    - None Standard
                    - None Standard
                    - ~Windows Vista Home Premium 64-Bit Installed (64&32-Bit CD Included) w/ Drivers & Utilities CD's
                    - None Standard
                    - None Standard
                    - 3 Year Labor* 1 Year Parts Warranty Lifetime 24/7 DOMESTIC Toll Free Tech Support
                    (Year2 & 3 Labor Warranty through Xotic PC)
                    $2,419.00
                    Sub-Total: $2,419.00

It is really a top notch gaming rig. And just under your budget prior to shipping.

The only upgrade could be the turbo memory but I couldn't use it with a dual boot kubuntu system anyway.

Besides you could pick the Oregon Coast Gamers brain for info as he has a similar rig.
                    Last edited by RaderCad; 06-11-2008, 12:54 AM. Reason: Had to add Oregon Coast Gamer
                    Sometimes living on a boat is like living in a cave.

Comment

Pick away .
                      Sager NP5792

Microsoft Windows Vista Premium 64-Bit
                      17" WUXGA
                      Intel Core 2 Duo T7700 2.4GHz
                      4 GB DDR2 667 RAM
                      1 GB Intel Robson Turbo Memory
                      500 GB 7200RPM Seagate Momentus HD
                      nVidia GeForce 8800M GTX 512MB GDDR3

FORUM TROLL 4 LIFE
                      http://teamamerimixwcg.blogspot.com/...online_05.html

Comment

Originally posted by PartSasquatch View Post
                        Is waiting for that computer worth it / in my price range
                        I would bet it will be close to your range, but I don't know how close or if it will be worth it.

Comment

This may be concidered hericy, but if a 15" screen and 8800M GTX are really important, and you dont wish to wait to see what the NP8660 looks like, then you may want to look at alienwares Area 51 m51x. I'm pretty sure its one of the only laptops that will fit both of those criteria
                          Sager NP5792
                          Alienware M11x-R1
                          WUXGA Glossy
                          11.6" WXVGA Glossy
                          2.4GHz Core 2 Duo
                          1.3GHz CULV Core 2 Duo OCed to 1.76GHz
                          GeForce 8800GTX
                          GeForce GT 335m
                          4,096 DDR2 667 Memory
                          4,096 DDR3 800 Memory
                          200 Gb 7200 RPM SATA 150
                          128 Gb GSkill Falcon SSD
                          64 bit Vista Home Premium
                          Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium

Comment

With all the games that you mentioned you are wanting to play including the new ones coming in the following year.

Age of Conan, Warcraft III, Civilization 4, Team Fortress 2, Counter Strike Source, Counter Strike, Mass Effect, Assasin's Creed, COD4, (Crysis if possible) and games that come out in the next couple of year.
                            I don't think anyone would recommend anything besides the 8800m GTX. If you a dead set on a 15.4" notebook and depending on when you need the laptop you may want to wait until montevina is released. This could possibly run into the start of your school year before it is available, but it will have the processing power that you are looking for in a 15.4" notebook. If you need a notebook sooner than that then i would highly recommend the Sager np5793 as that would be your best choice overall in a 17" notebook with the 8800.

Comment

playing games at 1920x1200 with 1 8800m GTX is going to drop your FPS by a LOT, and any game thats come out in the past 4-5 months, and any games that come out from here on out are going to be really unplayable at that resolution.

Imo, get the 1680x1050 screen, save your money for other parts that matter (CPU, Ram, GPU, hard drive)

Comment

Working...
                              X