• Welcome to XOTIC PC Forums! If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying to choose between these 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to choose between these 2

Here are the 2 setups I am looking at with a difference of 130$ more for the 9262. My Concern with the 5793 is upgradability and the concern with the 9262 is the size. Here are the 2 setups:

Sager NP5793 Custom Sager Notebook (Built on Clevo M570RU-U / M571RU-U)
    - 17" WSXGA+ "Glare Type" Super Clear Ultra Bright Glossy Screen (1680x1050)
    - Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound
    - Standard Dead Pixel Policy
    - ~Intel® T9300 45nm "Penryn" Core™2 Duo 2.5GHz w/6MB L2 On-die cache - 800MHz FSB
    - 512MB PCI-Express nVidia GeForce 8800M GTX DX10 (User Upgradeable)
    - None Standard
    - ~ SPECIAL~ 4,096MB DDR2 667 PC2 5300 (2 SODIMMS) Dual Channel Memory (Requires Vista 64-Bit to recognize Full 4GB) FREE UPGRADE
    - 1GB Intel® Robson Turbo Memory (Vista Only)
    - NP5792/5793 Orange Frame Trim Color
    - ~Combo 8x8x6x4x Dual Layer DVD +/-R/RW 5x DVD-RAM 24x CD-R/RW Drive w/Softwares
    - ~ 200GB 7200RPM (Serial-ATA II 300 - 16MB Cache)
    - None Standard
    - None Standard
    - Internal 7-in-1 Card Reader (MS/MS Pro/MS Duo/MS Pro Duo/SD/Mini-SD/MMC/RS)
    - Internal Bluetooth 2.0+ EDR
    - Built-in Intel® PRO/Wireless 4965 802.11 a/g/n
    - None Standard
    - Built in 2.0 Megapixel Camera
    - None Standard
    - Sound Blaster Compatible 3D Audio - Included
    - Basic Black Business Case - Included
    - Smart Li-ion Battery (8-Cell)
    - Full Range Auto Switching AC Adapter - Included
    - None Standard
    - None Standard
    - Integrated Fingerprint Reader
    - None Standard
    - None Standard
    - None Standard - Drivers & Utility Software Only
    - None Standard
    - None Standard
    - 3 Year Labor* 1 Year Parts Warranty Lifetime 24/7 DOMESTIC Toll Free Tech Support
    (Year2 & 3 Labor Warranty through Xotic PC)

and

SAGER NP9262 Ultimate Custom Laptop (Built on Clevo D900C / D901C)
    - 17" WSXGA+ "Glare Type" Super Clear Ultra Bright Glossy Screen (1680x1050)
    - Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound
    - Standard Dead Pixel Policy
    - ~Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0GHz w/ 6MB L2 Cache - 1333MHz FSB
    - 512MB PCI-Express nVidia GeForce 8800M GTX DX10 (User Upgradeable)
    - None Standard
    - ~ 4,096MB DDR2 800 (2 SODIMMS) Dual Channel Memory (Requires Vista 64-Bit to recognize Full 4GB)
    - Standard Finish
    - ~Combo 8x8x6x4x Dual Layer DVD +/-R/RW 5x DVD-RAM 24x CD-R/RW Drive w/Softwares
    - ~ 200GB 7200RPM (Serial-ATA II 300 - 16MB Cache)
    - None Standard -
    - None Standard -
    - HDD Raid Settings - OFF
    - None Standard
    - None Standard
    - Internal 7-in-1 Card Reader (MS/MS Pro/MS Duo/MS Pro Duo/SD/Mini-SD/MMC/RS)
    - Internal Bluetooth 2.0+ EDR
    - Built-in Intel® PRO/Wireless 4965 802.11 a/g/n
    - None Standard
    - Built in 2.0 Megapixel Camera
    - None Standard
    - Sound Blaster Compatible 3D Audio - Included
    - Basic Black Business Case - Included
    - Smart Li-ion Battery (12 Cell)
    - Full Range Auto Switching AC Adapter - Included
    - None Standard
    - None Standard
    - None Standard
    - None Standard
    - None Standard - Drivers & Utility Software Only
    - None Standard
    - None Standard
    - 3 Year Labor* 1 Year Parts Warranty Lifetime 24/7 DOMESTIC Toll Free Tech Support
    (Year2 & 3 Labor Warranty through Xotic PC)

I know I really cant go wrong with either but any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Brian

After posting this I founnd the post below that asks the same thing. The difference is what I need it for. I do a lot of programming and have lots of apps running at one time. I am actually leaning toward the 9262 and a quad core upgrade. I do some casual gaming but that is not my biggest priority. I do lug it around every day but only about 200 yards so the size may not be that big of a deal. I am also on a power source so battery life is also not a big deal.

Feel free to comment and thanks in advance.

Brian

Comment

It sounds like the Sager np9262 would be the perfect choice based on your statements.

I do a lot of programming and have lots of apps running at one time. I am actually leaning toward the 9262 and a quad core upgrade. I do lug it around every day but only about 200 yards so the size may not be that big of a deal. I am also on a power source so battery life is also not a big deal.

Comment

I agree... It will be a bit bulky, but you will have a monster that rivals most desktops for processing power!
        Sager NP5792
        Alienware M11x-R1
        WUXGA Glossy
        11.6" WXVGA Glossy
        2.4GHz Core 2 Duo
        1.3GHz CULV Core 2 Duo OCed to 1.76GHz
        GeForce 8800GTX
        GeForce GT 335m
        4,096 DDR2 667 Memory
        4,096 DDR3 800 Memory
        200 Gb 7200 RPM SATA 150
        128 Gb GSkill Falcon SSD
        64 bit Vista Home Premium
        Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium

Comment

Had the same choice....

We had to make the same choice. However! We decided to get the NP9262 as we will be on the grid for a while (we live on a boat.) Boy were we glad we did. Multiple hard drives, a desktop processor and advanced cooling. Sure it is heavy but it is more of a desktop replacement than a true laptop. If you want power then get the 9262. My wife loves it for 'developing' her raw digital pictures as it is a much, much, much faster than our old laptop.

The 9262 is one quick beast and we found out it runs very cool. We only have the dual core 3GHz and a single 8800 GTX but with the cooling available it should run cool no matter what you put into it. Heat was a worry for us but with the fans able to be on full all the time (Fn and the 1 key) it has stayed in the high 30's to low 40's during non game play. In fact the new beast runs cooler than the $500 throwaway under clocked Toshiba that we have. In fact the only heating problem we had was the primary hard drive that was placed under the battery (above the battery when right side up.)

The space above the battery does not have very good ventilation so the heat would build up and we reached 50 degrees C on more than one occasion. This was in an environment that was around 23 to 25 degrees C at the time so this was not going to work for us. We have re-located the drive to the hard drive bay in the middle of the 9262 with the vents on the bottom and in the front. The temps came down by at least 4 to 5 degrees C in heavy operation so it seems to be in the right place. Most people seem to forget about their hard drives but the ones that came with the 9262 have a maximum thermal operation of 55 degrees C. I would suggest getting 'Speed Fan' and installing it as it will monitor all available temperatures without messing with the fan speeds. You do have to run it in administrator mode to get all the device readings but it will work nicely.

We are downloading 3DMark06 right now so we will see how the temps are under stress.
          Sometimes living on a boat is like living in a cave.

Comment

If you don't care about the weight of the laptop get the 9262.
            The main reason why I got my 9262 was because I go to college halfway across the US from where I live and a desktop is unfeasible for me to have, so with the 9262 you have the power of a desktop that is "portable" (using that term just a little loosely, mostly because of the 1-1.5 hour battery life you can get on it), but the other reason why is because I can upgrade the CPU later if I need to.

Comment

Thanks for the comments. I may hold off for a few days till I see what the new models will offer or if the new models will decrease the price of the 9262.

Comment

Working...
              X