• Welcome to XOTIC PC Forums! If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

G1S Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G1S Issues

Hello,

Just received my new G1S-A Laptop about 5 days ago. I am very happy with it and your service so far, but - Some issues I have noticed since then that I can't seem to find any help on.

1. The Hard drive NEVER stops. The drive light and Hard drive "sound" continues constantly - even after sitting for a long period of time.

2. Windows Mail causes the PC to compleatly freeze. I must then do a hard re-boot (power down by holding the power button) to get control back. I have been unable to find any info at Windows Vista or at my anti-virous sight (CA Internet Security)

3. This one just today, about 20 minutes after starting up, the laptop simply rebooted, even though nothing was being done on the laptop. I recieved the "Windows did not shut down properly" screen after this reboot.

4. Battery life seems to be very very short. A full charge lasting only about 45 min. on High performance (no software running other than windows) and about 1.5 hours on Battery saver - same senerio.

Any suggestions?

1. What kind of processes are you running in the background? What additional software do you have installed?

2. The Internet Mail problem sounds as if there might be a software conflict on your system. What software do you have installed from the base system we sent you?

3. Refer to #2

4. The battery life should be close to the 2+ hour range. Are you doing gaming when testing or regular use?

Have you contacted support yet Toll Free?
    Justin Nolte
    [email protected]
    http://www.xoticpc.com

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected]
      1. What kind of processes are you running in the background? What additional software do you have installed?
      Only my CA internet security and MS Office. Nothing is running in the background except the pre-installed stuff.

2. The Internet Mail problem sounds as if there might be a software conflict on your system. What software do you have installed from the base system we sent you?
      I'm sure this is a software issues as well, just not sure where to start. On a side note, Outlook from MS Office seems to work fine.

4. The battery life should be close to the 2+ hour range. Are you doing gaming when testing or regular use?
      Just normal use, however today it reported 2 hr, 25 min on Battery saver mode, which sounds a bit more like it - I'll keep an eye on it.

Have you contacted support yet Toll Free?
      Not yet, no. I want to try everything I can, and gather as much info as I can before calling.

This system is only slightly higher than my Desktop and seems to be twice a slow. I assume that is due to all the bloat-ware that has been pre-installed.

Thanks for your reply.

Comment

Glad to help

I suggest trying to remove CA and see if the problem persists. Is your CA set to do regular scans?
        Justin Nolte
        [email protected]

Comment

[quote="[email protected]"]Glad to help

I'll See what I come up with, thanks.

Comment

I ended up uninstalling the "Check Mail" program and shut down the CA security that checks Windows Mail for spam and spyware.

So far so good. I use Outlook anyways so I will probably never use the Windows Mail, and so far after removeing the Check Mail program it hasn't locked up on a boot up.

It definatly seems to be a software conflict with CA, I'll be contacting them next,

However, removeing CA from the Laptop didn't seem to help the constant disk spinning.

Comment

I am glad to hear it is working better

Regarding the HDD activity, have you looked at the processes running on the system?
              Justin Nolte
              [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected]
                I am glad to hear it is working better

Regarding the HDD activity, have you looked at the processes running on the system?
                Yep, The only thing that really seems active at the time is taskmgr.exe at about 8% every now and then. Could it have anything to do with the fact that I had the default HD taken out and changed to the Segate 100gb 7200rpm drive? How about the swap file?

The HD will even run speraticaly while sitting at the Login screen.

Also, Is there any way to prioratize the programs in the startup group? I want my virus software to boot first, then all others.

Comment

If it shows only 8% on the one item I dont know how there would be continuous hard drive activity. It seams there has to be something else running in the system.

I dont show there is a way to prioritize the boot items.
                  Justin Nolte
                  [email protected]

Comment

I'm begining to think something is definatly wrong here.

I was just at Best Buy and I played with ALL their Laptops, even the low line ones (as well as the older G1). Every single one ran faster and smoother than the G1S. Programs only took mila seconds to load, mine seem to take forever. The system takes over 2 min to boot and even longer to shut down. I'll get actual times if you want them.

This laptop is painfully slow - is there away to do a claen install without all the bloatware?

I really like this laptop, and it handles my CAD and gfx software nicely, I just feel that it should be at least as fast as a $599.00 laptop.

EDIT
                    Here are some actual times
                    Boot Up (including log in password) 3 min 2 sec.
                    Starting Internet explorer 13 seconds
                    Starting Windows Media Player 7 seconds
                    MS Outlook 8 seconds

Comment

It sounds you may need to re-load your OS. You have to use the recovery CD and you can uninstall any additional Asus Software on the machine once you get it all loaded.

You can contact support 24/7 at the phone # in our support section under Asus Ensemble if you need any help
                      Justin Nolte
                      [email protected]

Comment

I installed a claen version of Vista Business and the driver disk allows me to select what software/drivers to install.

Everything is running much smoother and faster now and my RAM is at 32-35% instead of 49-52%.

Thanks

Comment

No problem at all, glad i can help
                          Justin Nolte
                          [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                          X