• Welcome to XOTIC PC Forums! If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Asus G1S and IFL90 questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asus G1S and IFL90 questions

Hey Xotic PC,

I have some questions on the Asus G1S:

1. Can I get it with XP MCE? (my favorite flavor of XP and I cant do Vista yet as its not approved by my employer)
    2. Does adding AC5 void Asus' Warranty (as you have to break the sticker)
    3. If I pay the $199 for the perfect LCD, will it be inspected and not shipped with any defects - ie, dead, stuck, or brght pixles?
    4. Will it ship with the current bios and drivers installed for XP?
    5. Is there a burn in process?
    6. I researched and it seems to have issues with a grainy screen, not being able to install 8600 drivers in XP with 4 gig of ram, and a CPU down clock problem while battery charging. Have you guys seen any of these issues or other issues with this product?

I've also been tempted by the Compal IFL90 as another that meets my requirements - Santa Rosa, 8600GT, XP MCE, WSXGA+, etc

1. Is it worth the wait?
    2. When are they shipping with WSXGA+?

Cheers!

Ted

Re: Asus G1S and IFL90 questions

Originally posted by HardwareWarriors
    Hey Xotic PC,

3. If I pay the $199 for the perfect LCD, will it be inspected and not shipped with any defects - ie, dead, stuck, or brght pixles?
    If you go with the G1S, it comes with a "No Bright pixels" garentee, Dead pixels are very hard to notice at the 1600x1200 res and "stuck" pixels can be "un-stuck" (btw, most "dead" pixles are simply stuck pixels).

To me it's not worth the $199, my G1S shipped with a perfact screen.

Comment

Ha.

I'd rather pay $200 and not take the gamble of getting a screen with any irratating flaws. They can keep it. I've had a flawed monitor experience before and dont wish to repeat it. $200 is really a bargain in the long run and saves you from experimenting with techniques that may or may not fix the pixels. I've seen it fix some of them... but never 100%. I'd rather have them inspect and find them at the get-go.

How do you like your G1S? Any complaints?

My wife, whom this laptop is for, just ok'd 17" laptops after I showed her the size of them at a local retailer. The G1S may indeed step aside for an even meaner Laptop. =-)

Cheers!
      Ted

Comment

Hello, welcome to the forums!

I saw you also emailed into us and I replied to your questions via Email. If you have any more, please let me know and I would be happy to help you out.

If you are looking for a 17" take a look at the Asus G2S or the Sager 5790. They are both very good 17" models.

Justin Nolte
        [email protected]
        http://www.xoticpc.com

Comment

For anyone watching this topic, Justin responed promptly as typified by the awesome reviews this outfit gets for customer service:

The Dead Pixel warranty covers any type of pixel related issue (Deal, partially lit, etc) We do not test audible noise during testing. If it sounds out of the ordinary it is looked into further. We burn the systems in very thoroughly.

Here is your answers for the G1

1. No we can not provide MCE on the G1S
          2. AS5 WILL void the Asus warranty.
          3. If you purchase the dead pixel guarantee it will be thouroughly tested and inspected prior to shipment. 4. We will ship it fully installed with XP Drivers when purchased. 5. Yes we burn in EVERY machine we build 6. I personally have G1 and have not had any problems with the display or the video. If you want the system to see the full 4GB of ram you have to purchase a 64-Bit OS. XP or 32-Bit OS's can only see up to 3GB.

Please let me know how I can be of further assistance. We look forward to hearing back from you soon. =)

Thanks,

Justin Nolte

Comment

Hey Justin:

Few more conversational pieces:

1. MCE is really just a prettier version of Pro that only lacks the domain login and ADUC features. The drivers are the same. Why is it not an option? Such a bummer if I cant get it. =/
            2. You'd think Asus would extend the waranty for adding AS5. I swear by this magical stuff.
            3. Regarding the Asus Waranty, is the above poster correct? Is the XPC waranty overkill then? Can you guys just initially inspect the lcd for any defects and just not send it? I really dont need a year gurranty.
            4. How noisy and hot does this thing get?

Cheers!

Ted

Comment

Originally posted by HardwareWarriors
              Ha.

I'd rather pay $200 and not take the gamble of getting a screen with any irratating flaws. They can keep it. I've had a flawed monitor experience before and dont wish to repeat it. $200 is really a bargain in the long run and saves you from experimenting with techniques that may or may not fix the pixels. I've seen it fix some of them... but never 100%. I'd rather have them inspect and find them at the get-go.

How do you like your G1S? Any complaints?

My wife, whom this laptop is for, just ok'd 17" laptops after I showed her the size of them at a local retailer. The G1S may indeed step aside for an even meaner Laptop. =-)

Cheers!
              Ted
              So far I really like it. I have had it now for about 2 weeks and only one software conflic issue, no real problem or suprise there, but can't figure out why my HD continuiosly spins, even when not useing it. Other than that it is great.

If you want a 17", look at the Asus G2. I was origanly looking at that one my self, but decided the 17" screen was to big for a lot of travel. The 15.4" wide screen at max resolution turned out to be more than enough desktop area for my CAD and gfx programs.

Comment

You HD is probably spining because of a service or program in the background constanly accessing your HD. I no nothing of vista, but in XP you can use the msconfig panel and remove all non-MS services and all start-up items. Restart and I bet the issue goes away =-)

The G2 needs a better videocard IMO to push that 19x12 screen and a better keyboard to take advantage of its size.

-Ted

Comment

Hey Anyone and Justin:

3. Regarding the Asus Waranty, is the above poster correct? Is the XPC waranty overkill then? Can you guys just initially inspect the lcd for any defects and just not send it? I really dont need a year gurranty.

4. How noisy and hot does this thing get?

Also

Any info on the Asus V1S? From my research, its the same platform of the G1S, but in a sexier more mature, albeit bussiness, look.

Cheers!

Ted

Comment

I think the Asus warranty is plenty fine with the unit! I would keep that or maybe upgrade to the Asus 3 Year Warranty. The system runs very cool and is not loud.

Your right about the V1S, we hope to have it very soon!
                    Justin Nolte
                    [email protected]
                    http://www.xoticpc.com

Comment

Working...
                    X