• Welcome to XOTIC PC Forums! If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vista or Ubuntu.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista or Ubuntu.

I'm planning to buy the Sager Np2090 with 2gbs of ram, and a intel duo 2 core processor at 2.0ghz.

One question is, I don't know which operating system to go with. Vista i've heard has had some problems, but I called in a few days ago and said that all your employees at your company building is running vista and they have no problems. Also it's direct 10x, and XP WILL NOT get direct 10x from what I've seen and read. Meaning I might not be able to use the video card to my full potential if I decide to go with XP. Also it's practically Microsoft shoving vista down our throats, and trying to get people to switch. Then I heard about Unbuntu, it is free, and it's a linux program. I know nobody who uses it, and I probably can't play games at all with it so I don't know. Has anyone heard or try Unbuntu?

Yes, I know what Ubuntu is. In fact, I am running it right now. Ubuntu is wonderful. It is so much faster than even XP, let alone vista, doesn't get viruses, and is completely free. While you can't play most games on it, there are some that work. Look around on google, or the ubuntu forums, for more information on that. But if you are looking for an operating system for anything other than gaming, definitly get ubuntu. The forums are great; if you have a question, people will quickly help you out. Go for it!

Comment

And in fact, using a program like "wine" or "cedega" you can actually play quite a large amount of windows games, some as old as Diablo.

Comment

And if you are into eye-candy, it is quiet easy to make Ubuntu look MUCH better than Vista, but while using a smaller amount of processing power. Check out this video clip: www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4Fbk52Mk1w

Comment

Vista & Linux

I'm in the same boat. The gaming issue is the problem. I'm not that much of a gamer, mostly Valve stuff, but would like to play a few of the newer games not playable on Linux. I think dual booting is smartest. I can use Linux predominantly and any program/game that doesn't work can be run under Vista.

I heard that Windows has to be installed first before installing Linux? Its going to be a pain in the ass setting all this up.

Comment

Here is a site that makes the dual boot install real easy. This is what I plan on using when I get my 9262.

http://apcmag.com/how_to_dualboot_vi...lled_first.htm

Enjoy. 8)
            Sometimes living on a boat is like living in a cave.

Comment

Working...
            X