• Welcome to XOTIC PC Forums! If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Notebook selection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Notebook selection

I was recently quoted a price of $1,500 from Dell for the following system:
    Latitude D830
    Intel Core 2 Duo T7100, 1.80GHz, 800Mhz 2M L2 Cache, Dual Core
    15.4 inch Wide Screen WUXGA LCD for Latitude D830
    2.0GB, DDR2-667 SDRAM, 2 DIMM
    128MB NVIDIA Quadro NVS 135M
    120GB Hard Drive 9.5MM 5400RPM
    Touchpad with UPEK fingerprint reader
    Vista Business, with media
    24X CDRW/DVD with Cyberlink Power DVD for Vista Basic/Business,
    Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN (802.11g,54Mbps) Mini Card

I'm not familiar with the systems offered on your web site, but have heard good things about all of them on various notebook forums.

I do not use my current notebook for gaming, but do run mulitiple apps on dual monitors often.

I'm sure that one, or more, of the systems on your site would meed my needs, but not being familiar with Force, Sager, Asus, etc. I don't really know which would be best.

The Dell machine that was quoted was through a direct-buy program offered through my company... this notebook matches my work notebook.

I really don't need a top-end machine and am failry sure that I could get buy spending less on an equally configured machine from you.

Any advice you could give would be greatly appreciated.

In that case the best option for you would be the Sager NP2090.
    http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np2090-...90-p-1876.html
    The same configuration would be well beneath $1500,meaning that you could go for 4 gigs of memory and a huge hdd within 1500.
    Cheers
    Personal Quote :
    Angelina can make your fps rise faster and faster.
    Your laptop will always lag next to her
    I would configure her with bigger...
    Na, she`s perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by xpcdude
      In that case the best option for you would be the Sager NP2090.
      http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np2090-...90-p-1876.html
      The same configuration would be well beneath $1500,meaning that you could go for 4 gigs of memory and a huge hdd within 1500.
      Cheers
      I was actually looking at that model, as well as the Force 3295, which looks to be a decent machine as well. Are the Force notebooks Xotic's home-brand machine?

The only con I've read about regarding the 2090 is that the speakers aren't that great, but then that's a complaint on every notebook on the market.

I'm leaning towards the 2090, you seem to get more for you money with their systems as compared to the Dell, Lenevo, etc. Now to decide between WXGA or WSXGA. The Latidude I use for work is WUXGA, as mentioned previously, and I've really liked that setup.

Thanks for your feedback xpcdude.

Comment

About the screen, you may have to pay attention that the WSXGA+ is back ordered for the next 2-3 weeks,whilst the WXGA is on stock and pretty much ready to ship.
        Speakers are moderate, they provide adequate sound for a laptop without extreme performance and sound pretentions,but coupled with a good set of headphones,or some serious speakers,you will be surprised The Surround sound Full Duplex and Built-in 7.1+2 HD Audio Codec - Realtek ALC268 really does the job.
        Forget about Dell and big companies that put up ridiculous pricetags for the same parts, Clevo/Sager notebooks are amongst the best and fastest in the world, not too mention the extremely competitive price.
        I've read tens of reviews about the 2090 and was all enjoyable.
        Personal Quote :
        Na, she`s perfect.

Comment

Are there long-term hardware issues with these machines that would merit spending the extra $157 for the extended 3-year parts/labor warranty? I realize that anything can crash at any time, but are there many of these being sent in for repairs beyond the first year of ownership?

My experience with other brands has been if it isn't delivered DOA and you take care of it properly it'll last until the screen burns out. And by then it's time for a new machine anyway.

Comment

32bit vs 64bit

I noticed that in the configuration for the 2090 if you order Vista Business, or any other version of Vista, it ships with both the 32 bit and 64 bit cd's.

Which of the two would be preinstalled? I would think it better to install the 32 bit version now, and when the majority of the software out there is 64 bit install that version of Vista.

And my last question regarding Vista, if 32 bit is preinstalled can you use the 64 bit disk included with the 2090 to do an in-place upgrade?

Comment

Yes, both the 32 bit and the 64 bit will be included.
              The preinstalled one is the 64 bit, but you can specify that you want the 32 bit windows installed instead.
              You cand change either Windows whenever you see fit. I am uncertain as to how windows would see the change from 32 bit to 64 bit(as an upgrade I mean) , since I have the 64 bit Vista premium installed and excepting minor incompatibilities, everything runs perfectly. Note that you can always run a program in compatibility mode with XP Service Pack 2, and as time will pass, drivers will mature to optimise Vista. I would therefore suggest sticking to Vista 64. And if you're not fine with it, you can always have a dual boot(vista 32 and vista 64) .
              There is no way to predict how things will run, but if you cand afford the 157$,that would cover you for both the parts and the labor, in case something would go wrong. The Sagers are usually a solid build, very stable and highly unlikely to have issues. But keep in mind that 157$ is a small price to pay for a peace of mind. I would recommend going for the extended warranty also, since you never know.
              If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.
              Personal Quote :
              Na, she`s perfect.

Comment

I'll hold out for the WSXGA's to come in. I really don't care for the glossy screens at all, far to reflective. The monitor I use at home is a Dell UltraSharp 1708FP, which is about the best monitor I've come across.

I think the WSXGA will come closer to the same look and feel than would the WXGA.

Also, when it comes time to order I'll go with the 32 bit version of Vista preinstalled. I'll be using the notebook at the office as well as at home, and I know that there are not 64 bit drivers for some of the printers/plotters we have there. I've also found out that the ERP software at work won't run on 64 bit Vista until mid 2009.

So what's the status on the WSXGA, mid-November?

Comment

Working...
                X