• Welcome to XOTIC PC Forums! If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Performance with Similar Parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Performance with Similar Parts

I'm currently looking at V1S, G1S, and NP2090 Modules and my question is how does a V1S or G1S with similar or same specs differ performance wise than NP 2090? For example on this site customizing a NP2090 with:

WSXGA Monitor
    2gb Memory
    Arctic Silver Compound
    T7700 2.4ghz
    160gb [7200rpm] HD

comes around ~$1500

wheras the same specs for V1s or G1s is ~$1900

will they perform around the same? or will V1/G1 modules still outperform a NP2090 with same parts? What makes this difference?

Any of these would have a longer life span than the other? Looking for a ~4year laptop for college usage.

I doubt anyone could give you a clear-cut answer here ... the differences on the core hardware are indeed slim (the Asus uses a DDR3 video card, but this should not really make a difference ... the main benefit is a slightly lower power consumption, less heat, so potentially a longer lifespan, but the difference should not really be significant).

If you look at the warranties, the Asus have way better coverage (in particular the 1 year accidental, which should easily be considered worth around 150-200).

If warranty, looks (can go either way ... personally I prefer the sober look of the NP2090) and docking-bay option are not important to you, go for the cheaper.

There are many design issues that will have a huge impact on how well the laptop will survive in hte long-term, but I believe it is still too early to answer which one has the best design.

If price matters, I would also definitely go for the T7500 cpu. The 0.2 GHz difference is irrelevant and the cpu is 30% cheaper. Don't go lower because you'd reduce hte cache size, and in multicores this is even more of an issue than in singles.

Comment

The Asus has the 8600GT video card with DDR3 memory, which yields better performance that the DDR2 one(from the Sager), by so much as 20% ( there is a case of somebody hitting the 5000 3dmark06 score with an 8600GT DDR3,just to get the idea) , Asus also ofers
      - 2 year global warranty,
      - 1 year accidental damage
      - Asus zero bright dot pixel guarantee
      - Free UPS shipping
      -The T7700 processor as standard(V1S) / T7500 for the G1S
      -2 Gb of memory standard
      -8in1 card reader(V1S) / 4in1 reader (G1S)
      - Intel turbo memory standard
      -Asus USB optical mouse
      -Vista bussiness(V1S) / Vista home premium (G1S)

All for 1774(V1S) and 1686(G1S), taking into account the warranty alone makes the ASUS G1s and V1S a super offer.Especially the V1S.
      Personal Quote :
      Angelina can make your fps rise faster and faster.
      Your laptop will always lag next to her
      I would configure her with bigger...
      Na, she`s perfect.

Comment

Technically the DDR3 allows for higher bandwidth, but only if a higher clock rate is used. In the end both are DDR technology, so at the same clock, they get roughly the same performance. DDR2 is limited to a 400MHz I/O clock and uses both rising and falling edges, thus achieving the usual effective 800MHz. DDR3 can go up to 800MHz and an effective 1600MHz, but in the end this won't necessarily have a direct impact.
        If the memory bus on the card is the same, there is no reason to expect better performance out of DDR3 (except power consumption). If you overclock it, then that might buy you those 20%, at some risk...

Comment

Working...
        X