• Welcome to XOTIC PC Forums! If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some Sager NP5791 questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Sager NP5791 questions

Hello! I am seriously looking into buying Sager NP5791, but I have some questions that I hope you can help we with. I apologize in advance as I am sure most of these questions have been asked and answered several times. I have glanced at some of the other threads but I am still stuck on a few points.

1. GPU: I am torn between the 8700 GT and the 7950 GTX. I play World of Warcraft and I will play Warhammer Online when it comes out. I also play the occasional Shooter. I know that the 7950 is a better card except for no DirectX 10 support, so my question is for the types of games I play will I really notice any differences between the 8700 and the 7950? Also, how long before we actually start to see DirectX 10 games? Are there any non gaming reasons for choosing one over the other (aside from the obvious price difference)?

2. OS: I am planning on going with Vista Premium but I am not sure whether to go with the 32 or 64 bit version. Are there any major performance differences between the 2 versions since most software is currently 32 bits (i.e. what are the advantages/disadvantages of running 32 bit applications on a 64 bit OS)? Which version do you suggest? If I go with the 64 bit version, is it worth getting the 4GB of ram?

3. Is the Robson Turbo Memory worth getting?

4. Webcam/Mic: Is the integrated webcam and mic any good? My wife does a lot of video chatting with her friends so having a good webcam/mic would be a huge plus. The current webcam we have freezes up in yahoo messenger all of the time and the mic only seems to work about half of the time.

That is all I can think of at the moment. Comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Will send responses via e-mail

Comment

1) As I stated on other threads, the 8700GT can game REASONABLY well on resolution up to 1280x1024 but don't expect superior results. The 7950 may not have DX10 support, but it's still the best mobile video card on the planet. And it is 15-20% better than th 8700 GT no matter what resolution. Go for the 8700Gt only if you do not plan to upgrade and you are fine with moderate gaming.

2) Vista x64 with 4 GB of ram. Best possible option. However , note that x64 driver are still in short supply so some programs might still be lacking driver support for the 64 bit version of Vista.

3) Techincally speaking yes. Some retailers have said though that the increase in boot and loading time is insignificant and not worth the use of the PCI slot , which could be used for a TV tuner per say.

4) the microphone is situated in the lower laptop body, right site and is adequate, although to be honest a good heaset will always be better . I've done some testing with the incorporated mic, and the webcam and they work above average and do their part very well. I've recorded sounds, recored images and videos of my room and I was surprised how good they all came out.

As I say to anyone planning to aquire the sager 5791, excellent choice
      Personal Quote :
      Angelina can make your fps rise faster and faster.
      Your laptop will always lag next to her
      I would configure her with bigger...
      Na, she`s perfect.

Comment

>.> wouldn't the 8700m gt be better if you do want to upgrade seeing as how its cheaper?

Comment

it would, but if you want superior dx9.0c gaming, the 7950gtx is the king.
          the 8700gt is just a dx10 bait for now.

To answer your question,yes, the cheap way to go would be the 8700GT.
          Personal Quote :
          Na, she`s perfect.

Comment

Thank you Justin and xpcDude for the responses. Your suggestions have definitley helped.

I think I am going to go the cheap route and stay with the 8700 for now. I think that the 8700 will work fine for me, but I figure I can always upgrade later if I change my mind.

I am still not completely sold on going with 64 bit vista yet, but I am starting to lean that way. It looks like there are 64 bit Vista drivers available for my router and printer which were my biggest concerns.

Thanks again for all of your help. Now I just have to decide whether to buy now or wait until Christmas and hope for a better deal.

Comment

If there is one thing that I've learned about laptops, is that there will always be a better deal.
              My sugestion would be to buy it now, if you need it, or if you can wait, wait until the 8800M card wll be released.
              I went and bought it now, and I couldn't be happier with it. Just be sure to get a very powerful processor, since that an upgrade is costly also and a fast HDD and maybe 4 GB of memory, since Vista is a resouce hog.
              Good luck.
              Personal Quote :
              Na, she`s perfect.

Comment

Working...
              X