• Welcome to XOTIC PC Forums! If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where does old CPU go if I upgrade CPU?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where does old CPU go if I upgrade CPU?

If I purchase a new notebook from a manufacturer other than XOTIC and select a CPU upgrade, will the old CPU be shipped to me? What happens to it?
    Last edited by Darith; 07-11-2009, 02:33 PM. Reason: Added detail of notebook manufacturer
    ASUS G71G-A1 + Samsung T240HD
    Zalman Ultra Quiet Notebook Cooler ZM-NC150

additional notebooks:
    Toshiba P105-S9772
    HP HDX16
    HP HDX18
    HP TouchSmart tx2
    HP TouchSmart IQ500

Pretty sure they keep it, unless its a barebone model, like one of the Sagers, in which case, there is no previous CPU to begin with.

Comment

If XOTIC keeps it, would I be entitled to a credit for the value of it to be deducted from my new custom notebook purchase?

additional notebooks:
      Toshiba P105-S9772
      HP HDX16
      HP HDX18
      HP TouchSmart tx2
      HP TouchSmart IQ500

Comment

When you upgrade the cost of the original offsets the cost of the upgrade. Not to be rude but your question borders on the absurd. If I go to MacDonald's and order the Big Mac what happens to the double cheeseburger I didn't order? I mean do I get it? Is it in the dumpster?

Welcome to Xotic and my new "tuff love" program, sorry you had to be the first but that question is not firing on all cylinders. I hope you now see?

Welcome and nice to have you here.
        Last edited by Justin@XoticPC; 07-11-2009, 03:40 PM.
        G73JH-A2
        i7-720 CPU HD5870 GPU
        8GB 1333MHz DDR3 2x500GB HDD

Comment

Originally posted by powerpack View Post
          Quite smoking crack! When you upgrade the cost of the original offsets the cost of the upgrade. Not to be rude but your question borders on the absurd. If I go to MacDonald's and order the Big Mac what happens to the double cheeseburger I didn't order? I mean do I get it? Is it in the dumpster?

Welcome to Xotic and my new "tuff love" program, sorry you had to be the first but that question is not firing on all cylinders. I hope you now see?

I'm not planning on purchasing a notebook that XOTIC builds. Let me be a little more detailed. I'll go ahead and call in and ask a sales person, but let me give you a little example:

A customer will be purchasing an ASUS notebook at the value of $2000 that contains a processor that is valued at $400 through a retailer. If I ask the retailer to upgrade my processor to one that has a value of $1200, will the retailer ship my original $400 processor back to me or will they buy it from me?

PS Crack is wack!

additional notebooks:
          Toshiba P105-S9772
          HP HDX16
          HP HDX18
          HP TouchSmart tx2
          HP TouchSmart IQ500

Comment

Go to wiki and look at the cost of CPU's. As I said before the cost of the upgrade is offset by the defualt.

COST IS OFFSET! Get it? If you wanna buy both I am sure they will sell you both.
            G73JH-A2
            i7-720 CPU HD5870 GPU

Comment

The prices are "upgrade prices" which no doubt includes a little labor. So for example.. I upgrade say a hdd from a 250gb to a 320gb and the difference is +$50. A business may say okay it's a $45. price difference + we'll add $5. for the extra time it takes to install the drive and configure it. So you pay $50. more for that option. What happens to the 250gb drive, they keep it you really only paid for 1 drive plus the installation. Now where's that double cheese burger Powerpack, I'm hungry! lol...

Comment

Go to wiki and look at the cost of CPU's. As I said before the cost of the upgrade is offset by the defualt.

COST IS OFFSET! Get it? If you wanna buy both I am sure they will sell you both.
                LOL YES Thank you for your intense replies. I apologize for not being detailed enough in the beginning. I already got the run down of the prices before hand. If you don't mind, I'll share my purchase plan with you:

ASUS G71GX-A1 $1999.99

Upgrades
                AS5 (CPU + GPU) + $45
                QX9300 CPU + $1141

Grand Total $3185 (dollar amount in shopping cart on XOTIC.com)

After adding it to the cart, it does not show an offset amount.

Here are the price I pulled from online retailers for the mobile processors:
                Q9000 (CPU that comes with AUS G71GX-A1) $382.99
                QX9300 CPU $1141

CPU Upgrade Offset Price $758.01
                AS5 (CPU + GPU) + 45
                ASUS G71GX-A1 1999.00

Grand Total (After Upgrade Cost Offset) $2803

Looks like I will have to speak to a sales person about this.

additional notebooks:
                Toshiba P105-S9772
                HP HDX16
                HP HDX18
                HP TouchSmart tx2
                HP TouchSmart IQ500

Comment

OK I apologize. Asus charges gross prices for all upgrades. I have noticed and commented in the past. It seems like Asus and Xotic offer Asus upgrades that are not economically prudent.

I have always thought this is Asus way of discouraging upgrades. I find it ironic, instead of offering no upgrade they offer but at insane prices.

I am 100% certain this has to do with their business model. Sager/Clevo/Compal have an assembly line that "on the fly" can adjust. Asus and MSI don't.

Edit: You won't get your default CPU but at those prices you should.
                  G73JH-A2
                  i7-720 CPU HD5870 GPU

Comment

Solution: Buy the laptop. Buy the CPU upgrade. Swap them out. Sell the old one on Ebay. It's what I intend on doing with my 9280. Bought it with the i7 920, but I will be upgrading to a i7 975 for a lot cheaper than any retailer can sell to me... plus I'll subtract off the cost of the original i7 920.

You can try, but I am asked Xotic about selling me the laptop with no CPU, but they couldn't do it.

Comment

i wonder why? perhaps theres a rule somewhere stating they cant
                      Sager NP9280
                      OS:Windows Vista Ultimate 64-Bit:rolleyes2:(silly 64 bit)
                      Primary Hard Drive:320GB 7200RPM
                      Optical Drive: ~Combo 8x8x6x4x Dual Layer DVD +
                      Ram: ~ 6,144MB DDR3 1066MHz Memory
                      nVidia GeForce GTX 280M 1,024MB DDR3 DX10
                      Intel Core i7 Quad (Nehalem) 950 3.06Ghz 8mb Cache 130w
                      AHHHHH soooo bored..:twitchy:
                      Playstation Network ID: Squallxlionheart

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy View Post
                        Solution: Buy the laptop. Buy the CPU upgrade. Swap them out. Sell the old one on Ebay. It's what I intend on doing with my 9280. Bought it with the i7 920, but I will be upgrading to a i7 975 for a lot cheaper than any retailer can sell to me... plus I'll subtract off the cost of the original i7 920.

You can try, but I am asked Xotic about selling me the laptop with no CPU, but they couldn't do it.
                        It voids the warranty if I do it myself. I asked Justin, and he said the prices on the XOTIC website are the prices of the upgrades, and there will be no other CPU shipped with it, so it looks like I am virtually trading in my old CPU for the price of labor for them to put the new CPU into it. I'll put it in myself once the warranty is out.

additional notebooks:
                        Toshiba P105-S9772
                        HP HDX16
                        HP HDX18
                        HP TouchSmart tx2
                        HP TouchSmart IQ500

Comment

When you upgrade the cost of the original offsets the cost of the upgrade. Not to be rude but your question borders on the absurd. If I go to MacDonald's and order the Big Mac what happens to the double cheeseburger I didn't order? I mean do I get it? Is it in the dumpster?

I loled quiet hard.
                          Current:
                          Model: Sager NP 8662 15.4"
                          Processor: 2.53 Ghz Intel Duo
                          GPU: Nvidia 260XM 1GB
                          Ram: 4 GB of Ram
                          HDD: 320gb 7200rpm HDD

New (Phase 1):
                          Model: Sager NP 8170
                          Screen: 17.3" SuperMatte with 3d vision and nVidia Goggles
                          Processor: Intel i7 2720QM 2.2-3.3GHz
                          GPU: NVidia 485m 2GB
                          RAM: 8gb (1333hz)
                          HDD: 2x 500gb 7200 RPM w/ Raid 0

Comment

Originally posted by Darith View Post
                            It voids the warranty if I do it myself. I asked Justin, and he said the prices on the XOTIC website are the prices of the upgrades, and there will be no other CPU shipped with it, so it looks like I am virtually trading in my old CPU for the price of labor for them to put the new CPU into it. I'll put it in myself once the warranty is out.
                            WHAT?
                            I thought you could replace any parts you want(including CPU and GPU) without voiding the warranty...

Comment

^^ Not on the prebuilt ASUS Laptops
                              Justin Nolte
                              justin@xoticpc.com
                              http://www.xoticpc.com

Comment

Working...
                              X