• Welcome to XOTIC PC Forums! If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sager NP9261 - Four questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sager NP9261 - Four questions

Thinking about purchasing a NP9261, and I am curious about SLI. However, I have a few questions:

1. Is SLI even worth it? I want the 3.0GHz CPU, will having SLI make a big difference in Crysis, BioShock, Oblivion, etc??? I'm not as hard core a gamer as I used to be, but this'll be my primary rig (so long ancient desktop) and I want to make this one last, since I keep my PCs around 3-4 years.

2. Assuming I do NOT get SLI and opt for the single 8700m VPU, can I source another 8700m and install it myself for SLI at a later date?

3. Am I correct in assuming that only Vista can handle 4GB of memory? Or is it that there's no real performance boost for XP in having 4GB?

4. Will I be able to upgrade/install a new CPU in the 9251 at a later date?

Thanks in advance,
    -Sharkbait, woo haa haa.

The 9261 is a good choice! To answer your questions.

1. SLI will double the performance of your gameplay. If you are on a tight budget you can always purchase another card later on and install it yourself.

2. Only Vista 64-bit is capable of utilizing 4gb of ram.

3. If the laptop will support the faster CPU in the future you should not have any problems installing a new CPU.

Let me know if you have any further questions

Comment

To even further clarify this...
      1) SLI will make games like Crysis and Bioshock run well on 2 8700GT(that is if you want DX10) , since one card cand barely handle those games at medium settings. 2 of them should make the games playable and enjoyable at high settings.
      2) yes,the 9261 has 2 GPU slots, and you can always swap them for other GPUs, say 2 7950GTX or the upcoming high end 8th series from nVidia, if possible.
      3) Only vista can handle 4 gb of ram, XP currently "sees" only 3 gb. 4 Gb will always boost performance, whether it's gaming or other application based.
      4)So far, the 9261 is the first quad core laptop in the world. Choosing a quad core now will save you the need of a further upgrade.

Again, great choice the 9261 The fastest laptop in the world..not too shabby
      Personal Quote :
      Angelina can make your fps rise faster and faster.
      Your laptop will always lag next to her
      I would configure her with bigger...
      Na, she`s perfect.

Comment

A single 8700GT smokes Bioshock at 1440x900 w/ all high settings & even AA forced. This is with the 169.01 drivers. Just a fyi.

I've been pleasantly suprised at the 8700's performance. I can do any game at 1440x900 w/ max settings so far.

Comment

I would hardly say "smokes" since a single 7950GTX sill has problems maximng out every detail at even 1280x1024 . I should know, I have one, coupled with 2 Gb of ram and a 2.2 Core 2 Duo processor.
          8700GT may be a powerful card, but still it cannot outperform the 7950GTX, which is by far the best mobile video card so far.
          But if you say it smokes Bioshock, who am I to disagree? Good for you.
          Personal Quote :
          Angelina can make your fps rise faster and faster.
          Your laptop will always lag next to her
          I would configure her with bigger...
          Na, she`s perfect.

Comment

Can someone benchmark it ? 3dmark, so we know what smoked is lol :roll: ill make a new topic for benchmarking it :shock:
            Sager 9261
            Q6700 - 4GB 800MHz RAM -
            2x160GB seagate 7200rpm SATA-II HDD -
            RAID-0 -
            2x 8700GT sli - WUXGA+ -
            vista ultimate 64-bit -
            Multi Region TV Tuner w/Express Card MCE Remote & Receiver -
            Ordered from xoticpc
            Awaiting Eagerly

Comment

never mind i changed my order
              Sager 9261