• Welcome to XOTIC PC Forums! If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

purchasing 9261 with no OS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• purchasing 9261 with no OS

If i bought the 9261 with no OS could I jsut install my own copy of XP SP2 on it which I am currently using on my desktop. I don't want vista and it would be a waste to buy a laptop and pay extra for XP SP2. Would there be any compatibility issues and does XP SP2 have to be 64 bit (I have the 32 bit version). Or would it be safest just to pay the extra and get another OS preinstalled with 9261? I don't want to buy a machine and have it not work when i install my own copy of XP on it. Also, the 8700 GT is DX 10 but xp doesn't support DX 10. Would that card still show awesome performance on XP if it's with DX 10 games or not? Also what about games that are DX 9. Would the card be awesome with those games as well?

You can buy it without an OS and install any copy later on,whether it's Vista or XP , 32 bit or 64 bit,since the processor is 64 bit.
    The 8700 GT will work on both XP and Vista, but DirectX10 support is currently provided only by Vista.
    The best video card option at this momen is the 7950GTX, which plays any DX9 game at high settings.
    The 8700GT is a pretty decent card, an SLI of 8700GTs will outperform a single 7950GTX easily.That is provided you want to game DIrectX10 wise.
    Personal Quote :
    Angelina can make your fps rise faster and faster.
    Your laptop will always lag next to her
    I would configure her with bigger...
    Na, she`s perfect.

Comment

Well in the future DX 10 gaming is desirable so that's why I would eventually want to upgrade to vista. So it would be better to get the 8700 right now. But as I've already been told the 8700 should still be good even if it's on windows XP and with DX 9 games.

Comment

Yes, the 8700GT will work fine under XP, but the only advantage of the 8700Gt has over the 7950GTX is the DX10 support. If you don't need DX10,you might as well get the 7950GTX,which is 15-20% faster than the 8700GT,and later upgrade to a real high end dx10 video card.
        Personal Quote :
        Na, she`s perfect.

Comment

Yea that would be good but it is an extra $100. I'd have to find out how much it would cost to upgrade to 8700 GT later if I were to get the 7950 GTX now. So a 64 bit processor should be 100% backwards compatible with a 32 bit OS?

Comment

Yes a 64-Bit Processor is fully backward compatible with a 32-Bit OS.
            Justin Nolte
            [email protected]
            http://www.xoticpc.com

Comment

Is there any disadvantage to me using my own operating system? If I were to purchase this notebook without an OS how do they test it if it has no OS installed?

Comment

There is no disadvantage to using your own OS.
                The testing is done with different programs which verify the stability of the system and the full compatibility between parts.
                Personal Quote :
                Na, she`s perfect.

Comment

We will install a OS temporary for testing and then remove before shipment.
                  Justin Nolte
                  [email protected]

Comment

What about drivers? Will drivers for XP 32 bit be included with the purchase. Also, will the video driver be the same? If not then is it possible to get download it somewhere?

Comment

XP Drivers are also provided or they can also be downloaded.
                      Justin Nolte
                      [email protected]

Comment

Yes, the system comes with drivers also. And you can find the drivers on www.sagernotebook.com also.
                        Personal Quote :
                        Na, she`s perfect.

Comment

Ok the drivers for XP don't specify if it's for 32 bit or 64 bit so I guess it's all generic then. I would of thought there would of been a difference between 64 bit and 32 bit drivers.

Thanks for all the helps. I'm actually just thinking of ways to stall time before I order the thing since it would be a shame to get this in the mail just before exam week

Comment

There is a big difference between 32 and 64 bit drivers. Each work only on specified # of bits. You can find all of them on the link I provided. The regular drivers that come with a new system should be by default 32 bit drivers.
                            Personal Quote :
                            Na, she`s perfect.

Comment

Ok but in the link it doesn't specify what the windows XP drivers are for since it doesn't say 32 bit or 64 bit. The vista drivers, however, specify what they are for. Is it right to assume that there are no 64 bit drivers for XP on the sager website and that those drivers in the link are just for XP 32 bit?

Comment

Working...
                              X