• Welcome to XOTIC PC Forums! If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best of ALL Worlds!! Vista Ult 64 / Win Pro 32 in RAID 5!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best of ALL Worlds!! Vista Ult 64 / Win Pro 32 in RAID 5!!!!

This string dedicated to all those folks who need to run 32bit based engineering programs (AutoDesk, Solidworks,,,etc.) but don't want to be left in the Window dust and also have Vista 64 on another hard drive partition on their RAID 5 systems.

I actually ordered my 9261 with Vista 64 installed. I haven't yet partitioned my RAID array yet but I'm going to soon in order to install WinXP Pro 32.

I need to do this in order to run great programs by AutoDesk and SolidWorks that just don't jive with Vista 64 yet. And I don't think they are going to succeed sufficiently for Vista soon.

I understand that I will have to re-install all the 32bit drivers (on the new Win Pro partition) for this monster notebook and all of its "swiss-army knife" tools and toys but I'm willing to do it.

I don't mean to be such a pussball about going forward with this plan but I would like to hear from some folks that have already done something similar. I'm a little "standoff-ish" because my system is in RAID 5 (3 Seagate Momentus 160's) and I'm afraid I may make this system unstable.

I want to keep the Vista Ultimate64 with the 8700GT in order to play with DX10. But if I have to I'll dump the Vista in order to run more productive programs.

:idea: :idea: Any ideas!?! Any input?!? :idea: :idea:

I found this superb walk-through (by James Bannan) for folks who already have Vista pre-installed on their systems but there is an option for folks with WinXP who want to add Vista to their systems as well.:

http://apcmag.com/5485/dualbooting_vista_and_xp
    Sager 9261
    2.4G Quad Core
    1 (for the time being) nVidia 8700
    2 Gigs of memory (shoulda got 4)
    3 Seagate Momentus 160GB's in RAID 5
    Yuan Hybrid TV tuner w remote
    Bluetooth II
    Wireless A/B/G/N that works real well

It's been said that RAID5 doesnt save your @$$ but mine did

More praise for XoticPC's service and RAID 5! And yes the solution to the problem was in the works within 3 hours.

I want to explain this because my RAID 5 array did function well as expected in the event of 1 of my 3 HD's going bad

I received my 9261 with a bum but not yet dead Momentus 160GB HD. It gave up the ghost after about 6 hours of use. My system wouldn't boot into anything. Just a depressing black screen. I unplugged it and disconnected the battery, then rebooted again. As it rebooted I caught the RAID array setup by pressing "Ctrl+I" as it indicates. It said the my third drive was in error status and unbootable. It then gave me a choice to "Repair Y/N?" So of course I chose "Y" and it booted right up on the 2 remaining drives!
    The amazing thing was it didn't seem any slower!

Manufacturer defects happen all the time, to everything, so I didn't really get all hot about it, and, as soon as I reported the problem to Xotic/Sager the bad drive was on its way back to California "3 Day Air" free of charge within 3 hours!

So those of you researching what I'm trying to research, don't believe all those "nay sayers". RAID 5 worked for me.
    Sager 9261
    2.4G Quad Core
    Bluetooth II

Comment

OK U guys going to make me go this on my own???

Well, if I don't get any tricks or tips or experiences soon I guess I'll have to go it on my own. :shock:

IF I don't get any help or advice in a week, I'll let U know how it goes.
      Sager 9261
      2.4G Quad Core
      Bluetooth II

Comment

I'm having some problems getting my Yuan TV tuner to accept DVB and its not jiving well with Bison Cam. Plus the remote isn't functioning.

So I'm not going to do anything adventerous until my notebook is setup and functioning correctly in a stable way.
        Sager 9261
        2.4G Quad Core
        Bluetooth II

Comment

Warrior Mage, I haven't tried the specific setup you have, but you might experiement with running a virtual machine. If you haven't used one before, products like Microsoft's Virtual PC or VMWare's VMWare Workstation allow you to create a simulated computer. I work in a tech support organization and this is how we manage multiple operating systems (from DOS all the way to Windows 2003 Server and someday Vista).

Lots of upside:
          * You can add a new "disk" simply by running a wizard (disks are just another file)
          * Disks can grow dynamically so that you don't use GB of your host computer's hard drive until you need it (but they don't shrink dynamically)
          * You can run multiple virtual machines (assuming you have the resources
          * If you use VMWare, the Snapshot feature allows you to create multiple "go back points" - better than Windows Restore points

One downside is that you are sharing resources with the host computer, so the computer has to be beefy enough to handle all this. I'm hoping to use this to "test the waters" when I eventually migrate to Vista.

If you are interested, check out http://www.vmware.com/

Good luck,
          John L.[/list]

Comment

Thanx jlacasel! I've been quite the pussball

I'm realizing that the software companies R developing 64 bit versions of what I want to use so I was thinking of bailing. But I will try what you suggest because of the cost savings.

ThankYou again!
            Sager 9261
            2.4G Quad Core
            Bluetooth II

Comment

Working...
            X