• Welcome to XOTIC PC Forums! If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Little cosmetic trick for the 9261/9260

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Little cosmetic trick for the 9261/9260

Ya, this unit is 1 serious contender for the sexiest notebook in the universe but there was 1 annoying flaw for me.

Its really no "biggy", but all those symbols for all those ports and connectors all around this thing were barely visible. They are just impressions in black and gray plastic and are barely visible. They seemed "unfinished".

So, I grabbed a brightly colored "Oil Pastel Crayon" and started rubbing it into the crevices of the symbols. WoW! did it turn out great! (see pics) You must use an oil pastel stick because its softer and easy to wipe away. I wouldn't recommend a regular crayon because it can get "crummy" and you don't want any "crummy bits" getting into any of your ports or electronics.

You can get these oil pastel sticks at your local artsy-fartsy store. The brand that worked out well for me was the Van Gogh brand.

Sager 9261
    2.4G Quad Core
    1 (for the time being) nVidia 8700
    2 Gigs of memory (shoulda got 4)
    3 Seagate Momentus 160GB's in RAID 5
    Yuan Hybrid TV tuner w remote
    Bluetooth II
    Wireless A/B/G/N that works real well

Wow that really shows a difference especially on the last picture. I'll probably give that a try when I get my 9261.

Comment

Looks great! let us know how long it lasts before needing re-application.
      (a thin coat of clear nail polish might keep its luster longer)
      Sager NP5792
      Alienware M11x-R1
      WUXGA Glossy
      11.6" WXVGA Glossy
      2.4GHz Core 2 Duo
      1.3GHz CULV Core 2 Duo OCed to 1.76GHz
      GeForce 8800GTX
      GeForce GT 335m
      4,096 DDR2 667 Memory
      4,096 DDR3 800 Memory
      200 Gb 7200 RPM SATA 150
      128 Gb GSkill Falcon SSD
      64 bit Vista Home Premium
      Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium

Comment

I just ran my finger across the symbols underneath the LCD and it didn't smear off or anything.

(next sentence)
        I ran my finger accross it again but with more pressure and it kind of smeared out a very thin coat of the oil base but it didn't degrade the appearance at all. Actually I think it may have improved it!

It seems to be fairly stable after a month and a half.

If it stays after some time I would imagine it would just harden after a while.

Its survived the heating properties of the Crysis demo several times.
        Sager 9261
        2.4G Quad Core
        1 (for the time being) nVidia 8700
        2 Gigs of memory (shoulda got 4)
        3 Seagate Momentus 160GB's in RAID 5
        Yuan Hybrid TV tuner w remote
        Bluetooth II
        Wireless A/B/G/N that works real well

Comment

Working...
        X