• Welcome to XOTIC PC Forums! If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

single 7950 GTX with notebook cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• single 7950 GTX with notebook cooler

Is the extra $50 on a notebook cooler worth it if I am only going to use a single 7950 GTX on the 9261?

This really depends on where you are sitting the laptop. If it is on a hard surface all the time, The 9261 will have adequate cooling.

Comment

Also,if you keep the notebook in a hot room or you do not want the fans to kick in that often, a notebook cooler is highly recommended.
      Personal Quote :
      Angelina can make your fps rise faster and faster.
      Your laptop will always lag next to her
      I would configure her with bigger...
      Na, she`s perfect.

Comment

yea I ordered it with the cooler. so what exactly is it? just some extra fans? Does it have to be powered up externally? Also, if I am not using it would it just take up space inside my notebook and prevent air flow?

Comment

A laptop/notebook cooler is an accessory for laptop computers that helps reduce their operating temperature. A notebook cooler may house its own fans (usually 2 or 3) and rests beneath the laptop. Though many notebook coolers support the use of a power adapter, they typically run on power through one of the laptop's USB ports.

Comment

Ok that makes sense. I thought the cooler was something extra you could have installed internally. The is even better than what I thought it was before. $50 well spent.

Comment

Re: single 7950 GTX with notebook cooler

Originally posted by rswarkentin
              Is the extra $50 on a notebook cooler worth it if I am only going to use a single 7950 GTX on the 9261?

In my experience. It's no all my experience to be honest, I spent lots of time chatting with people whole lot smarter than me. I have a cool Titan G3T aluminium notebook cooler. Learn more about it at these sites:

1. http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews/...0laptopcooler/
              2. http://techgage.com/article/titan_tt...tebook_cooler/

Mine sits unused mainly because of what I learned talking with others and my experience with the Sager NP9890.

Fact: Most notebooks have rubber or plastic footpads. Consequently, they are unable to have direct contact with the cooler. So while aluminum is a great heat sink that can suck heat from the notebook, it is basically inefficient due to no direct physical contact.

Fact: For many of us, we use our notebooks indoors and the room is usually air conditioned. Thus while overheating can occur, if proper underneath carriage airflow is decent, overheating is less likely to occur.

Fact: Especially on the Sagers (at least from Xotic), the fans are DARN GOOD. If you raise the rear end even 1-2 inches high, the fans effciency are DARN, DARN, DARN GOOD. Combined with indoor air conditioned room use, overheating is not likely unless you have malfunctioning fans or other equipment. And yeah, a lightning strike will do it.

Until yesterday, I used an ALLSOP pad. I got mine for $11.00 at Fry's Electronics. Information is at: http://www.allsop.com/home-office-to...otebook-stand/

I was very happy with the ALLSOP. I will keep both of mine. However, while nosing around Fry's again yesterday, I came across a Targus X Stand: http://www.targus.com/us/product_det...sp?sku=AWE09US

Which I'm using now. The NP9261 has remained cool despite all day use and I even went out shopping and forgot to turn it off. I got back late and it was still cool. But it will be this summer when I start some serious video editing work and know if this X stand is really doing its job. However, it stands to reason that the good fans the Sager has and having more than adequate space between the notebook's bottom and its retsing surface will allow those fans to do their job effciently.

Another possible passive option is the Rolodex Stand F/LAPTOP if you don't plan to move the notebook around much. http://www.rolodex.com/sanford/consu...Products.jhtml

All in all, what I'm saying is that with the fan quality found in the Sagers(at least those sold by Xotic), fan powered and heat sink style coolers may be unnecessary when merely raising the rear of the notebook gets as good or better cooling effects. Added to the heat pipes found in these computers, you got a machine that is treated with respect proves to be well worth the money and nto prone to overheating. If the notebook had no foot pads, then direct contact with the aluminum and fan powered coolers would surely be a sensible buy. Otherwise, you're incurring unnecessary expense.
              ---Those are my principles. if you don't like them, I have others.--- {Groucho Marx}

Comment

Originally posted by jrwomack
                ..., I came across a Targus X Stand: http://www.targus.com/us/product_det...sp?sku=AWE09US

Which I'm using now. The NP9261 has remained cool despite all day use and I even went out shopping and forgot to turn it off. I got back late and it was still cool. But it will be this summer when I start some serious video editing work and know if this X stand is really doing its job. ...
                I checked the specs on that X stand, says it works with a 17" max. Your saying it works with the 9621 though? If so, looks like its what I want to go with.

TIA
                Would you like a Jelly Baby?
                - Sager NP9261 - Q6600 - 2GB - 2x 512MB 7950GTX SLI - 3x 160 SATA-300 RAID 5 -
                - MPC788 Tuner - Gateway XHD3000 - Logitech Z5500 - G15 - G5 - Fang Gamepad -

Comment

I would think that it would be a pretty good investment to have one regardless of its overall efficiency..... I am sure it will increase the life of the notebook for one, and it's always relaxing to have a cool breeze blowing in your face :wink: . Also, if your going to be using demanding applications, then your rig is sure to get hot - thus the implementing of an exterior cooling device is very beneficial.
                  Sager NP5792

Microsoft Windows Vista Premium 64-Bit
                  17" WUXGA
                  Intel Core 2 Duo T7700 2.4GHz
                  4 GB DDR2 667 RAM
                  1 GB Intel Robson Turbo Memory
                  500 GB 7200RPM Seagate Momentus HD
                  nVidia GeForce 8800M GTX 512MB GDDR3

FORUM TROLL 4 LIFE
                  http://teamamerimixwcg.blogspot.com/...online_05.html

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor_WHO
                    Originally posted by jrwomack
                    ..., I came across a Targus X Stand: http://www.targus.com/us/product_det...sp?sku=AWE09US

Which I'm using now. The NP9261 has remained cool despite all day use and I even went out shopping and forgot to turn it off. I got back late and it was still cool. But it will be this summer when I start some serious video editing work and know if this X stand is really doing its job. ...
                    I checked the specs on that X stand, says it works with a 17" max. Your saying it works with the 9621 though? If so, looks like its what I want to go with.

TIA
                    Yes, I have two. One for the 9261 and one for my 9890. They fit and I'm rather happy. Both run cool. I recently put it through some serious video editing useing Serious Magic Ultra 2 and Visionlab Studio as well as writing to disk and HD using Ulead Studio 9. It labored all day on these various length of video tasks. It got slightly warmer than usual (I think) but just warm not hot. So in tribute to the computer's cooling system and the X-pad, it must be working pretty well.
                    Come summer, I will periodically be working in environments that will be opened window room and even outdoors where some on site filming and editing will occur. Then we will see just how cool this thing remains.
                    ---Those are my principles. if you don't like them, I have others.--- {Groucho Marx}

Comment

Thanks a ton jrwomack, I am definitely going to cop this thing then. Another plus is the portability of this thing. Amazingly simple yet probably more effective than all the other lap style stands I'd bet!

Do you know of a place to grab this for a deal other than the Targus website?

TIA!
                      Would you like a Jelly Baby?
                      - Sager NP9261 - Q6600 - 2GB - 2x 512MB 7950GTX SLI - 3x 160 SATA-300 RAID 5 -
                      - MPC788 Tuner - Gateway XHD3000 - Logitech Z5500 - G15 - G5 - Fang Gamepad -

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor_WHO
                        Thanks a ton jrwomack, I am definitely going to cop this thing then. Another plus is the portability of this thing. Amazingly simple yet probably more effective than all the other lap style stands I'd bet!

Do you know of a place to grab this for a deal other than the Targus website?

TIA!
                        Deals? Might be some after Xmas deal. I'd suggest as nuts as it may seem, look at Wal-mart first. At times I'm surprised at computer stuff
                        I find there. Fry's has them I know for sure. I think Newegg and TigerDirect does too though I haven't checked lately.

Portable?? Very. It's why that though I will be keepingmy two ALLSOP stands, I got the X-stand. It folds up and goes right into the Targus roller case. Barely takes up any room at all.

Comment

Working...
                        X