• Welcome to XOTIC PC Forums! If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sager 9261 & Sager 5791 Upgrade Packages for 8800GTX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sager 9261 & Sager 5791 Upgrade Packages for 8800GTX

11/30/2007 Upgrade Info

Upgrading Sager NP9260/1 (D901C) & NP5790/1 (M570RU) to new nVIDIA GeForce 8800M GTX w/512MB

Due to specification changes out of Sager’s Control, the Sager NP9260/NP9261 will require a motherboard swap out to the updated Revision V6.x motherboard to correctly support the new nVIDIA® GeForce™ 8800M GTX w/512MB. The motherboard version number can be located on the bottom memory socket. The Sager NP5790/NP5791 has three different upgrade options available*.

For NP9260/NP9261/NP5790/NP5791 users wishing to purchase the nVIDIA® GeForce™ 8800M GTX w/512MB, Sager will perform the necessary motherboard swap out and install the card. Shipping and handling charges to and from Sager will be the responsibility of the customer. Sager will not be responsible for any case scratches or paint chipping that may occur during the modification. Please Contact the Sager Technical Support department for detailed information.

The upgrade/swap out kit will be available beginning Jan 15th, 2008. For Sager brand Clevo D901C/M570RU customers the swap out process will take 5 business days. Non-Sager branded Clevo D901C/M570RU units will require 10 to 15 business days. Rush service available call for details.

For Sager Branded Clevo D901C / M570RU customers, the nVIDIA® GeForce™ 8800M GTX w/512MB GPU and motherboard will receive a new 1 year warranty or the remaining extended warranty if longer than 1 year remaining; the rest of the unit warranty (or extended warranty if previously purchased by customer) remains as is.

Non Sager branded Clevo D901C / M570RU units will have 90 day warranty for all replaced parts. Sager is not responsible for the terms and conditions of any other warranties on Non-Sager Branded units, and you should review those terms to determine whether Sager service on such units will void other warranties.

For a limited time (Jan 15th, 2008 through June 30th 2008), Sager will offer the upgrade packages at a discounted rate.

Sager NP9260/NP9261 (Clevo D901C):
    • Price good between Jan 15th’08 through June 30th’08
    • New revision D06 (Ver. 6.x) motherboard
    • 1x nVIDIA® GeForce™ 8800M GTX w/512MB Card
    • Labor included
    • $899.00 after instant $200.00 off for Sager Branded customers
    • $1099.00 Non-Sager Branded systems

$745.00 for additional nVIDIA® GeForce™ 8800M GTX w/512MB Card

Sager NP5790/NP5791 (Clevo M570RU):

Option 1: Full swap out package
    • Price good between Jan 15th’08 through June 30th’08
    • New nVIDIA® GeForce™ 8800M GTX w/512MB
    • New Motherboard
    • Labor included
    • $899.00 after instant $200.00 off for Sager Branded customers
    • $1099.00 Non-Sager Branded systems

Option 2*: Send in to Sager for Motherboard Rework
    • Available Jan 15th’08
    • Sager will perform motherboard Rework needed
    • $745.00 Sager Branded Systems FREE Labor Included
    • $845.00 ($745.00 +$100.00 labor) for non Sager Branded systems

Option 3*: Pre-condition User self upgrade
    • Available Jan 15th’08
    • User understands that the system will have unable to wake from suspend to ram (S3) aka: Suspend / Sleep mode issues.
    • $745.00

* NOTE: NP579x Option 2 & Option 3 may or may not be available depending on final testing results from Clevo.
    Justin Nolte
    [email protected]
    http://www.xoticpc.com

How long will the upgrade options be available? Don't think I can convince the wife to spend $700-$800 right after Christmas...

Comment

For a limited time (Jan 15th, 2008 through June 30th 2008), Sager will offer the upgrade packages at a discounted rate.

Comment

So you're saying a single 8800m card is $745?? That's ridiculous!

Comment

Understood that the discounted rate, etc will expire after the 30th of Janurary. Will the cards be available for purchase at all in say 6 months though?

Comment

upgrading 9261

OK i understand its not Xotic PC fault about the videocard 8800 not working with my MB .Will there be any better video cards later that will work with my 9261? That was the main selling point that made my mind up about buying this unit . :x :x

Comment

Agreed! The whole MXM, upgrade for the future blah blah blah. Now I haven't upgraded the card once and I need a new mobo. Not happy! Especially $800 to get that card installed. Ouch. You can almost buy a PS3 AND an XBox360 for that price.

Want SLI? $1600 !!!! Out of this world.... I just do not see how that price is justified. If it wasn't too late to return my 9261 for a refund I would do that and get a desktop. Anyone want to buy mine?

Comment

just orderd mine aweek ago

2 more days before it comes .didnt find out this till tonight I think there needs to be more outrage from everbody. That was the main reason i bought it because of the upgradeable thing there should be more of a dicount to upgrade .I just dont know why they didnt know this before now .They = (sager) They claim to be a big provider of laptops surely they carrie some wieght with the video card makers if that stament is true

Comment

Since yours hasn't arrived yet you'll still be under the 1-month return policy, you should see if you can send it back and have the upgrade done at a further discount. The 8700 came out just after I got my lappy with 7950s and they offered to replace the cards for the difference in price. I didn't do it cause I wanted to wait for the 8800s... now I don't know what to do. I can't see paying $1600 for upgraded video cards. Especially after I just spent $3500 not even 3 months ago. I'd rather sell my Sager and put that money into a desktop machine and get something I can count on to deliver what it claims.

Comment

This is a new video card that nVIDIA changed the spec on. You can't blame anyone but nVIDIA for changing the spec of the card. Sager/Clevo are doing all of these upgrade packages at cost. They are not making a dime on them.
                    Justin Nolte
                    [email protected]

Comment

I know Justin, I'm not blaming Sager, I'm most pissed at nVidia, ultimately they are the ones that design the cards and price them. I think they are a bunch of crooks. Think I might be getting an ATI rig in the future. Sorry if it comes across as being mad at you guys.

Seriously though, how can they justify $750 for one of those cards!! This is why capitalism sucks sometimes because there's nothing fair about it. Our only option is to not give them our money, but that leaves us with only one other option, ATI.

We need more video card manufacturers!

Comment

I understand. We see allot of people bashing Sager and Clevo when it is not their fault. I only wanted to make that clear. We do need more video card manufacturers so nVidia doesnt have such a monopoly on the market.

The price is high, but traditionally any new technology is priced like new technology. If you look at the current pricing for a 8800GTX Desktop card they run $500+ and they have been out for a while. I dont recall what the exact price was for them when they were released but I am know they were much more then what the market has them priced at now.

With some time the 8800GTX will reduce in price, but we are at the launch of this new technology and unfortunately will have to pay for the latest and greatest.
                        Justin Nolte
                        [email protected]

Comment

Laptops have always been a bit more expensive but not until recently have I witnessed laptops with such power. ( IE Clevo is a new name to me )

I've never been a laptop guy really and I almost never buy 'top of the line.'

'Second from the top' is always like half the price. I guess that is why they call it the bleeding edge.

Although, I am convinced that the 8800 GTX SLI is going to kick some serious butt compared to the "second from the top" so that will be worth the investment for me.

We don't need more video card manufacturers. We need more video card manufacturers who can match Nvidia's performance. The latter is probably the tough part haha seeing the resources they have.

Hopefully though, we will see more variety of card manufacturers in the future. However, if they are less than 90% of what NVidia puts out, I wouldn't expect them to last that long.

I can see how upset people are that this upgrade is not 'cheap' especially if the original purchase was not too long ago. But just a few months later it'll probably drop in price.

A newly released card is not 'that' desirable. I'm sure that when there is a game that requires this kind of power, vs 7950's or 8700's, that the price will have dropped dramatically.

If you consider the power of these cards, IE, the 8800M GTX being as/more powerful than the 7950 SLI, then the price is pretty much appropriate. 7950 SLI is not cheap.

compare it to buying 4 7950's instead of 2 8800's? Don't know, just thinking.

The worst part I see is not so much the bashing of Sager and Clevo, but the demand for the resellers, who are far from the ones at fault, to accommodate these unhappy customers.

By the way Justin, pre-orders are still schedule for the 6th right? trigger finger is itching.

Comment

When the world`s first DirectX 10 GPU was launched last year, the price of the 8800GTX was over 650 $ . Now it`s 500, a roughly 25% decrease in price. Note that this was in the desktop world,while the laptop world tends to be more expensive.
                            In time , the prices will stabilise at a far more acceptable limit, but for now, whomever needs the top of the line , the newest and the greatest as Justin rightfully called them, will have to pay the price.
                            If you can afford to wait, it is a smart choice.
                            But all things aside, Sager is actually among the few companies that actually tried to build an upgradeable notebook. Almost got it with the 5791, which excepting the initial S3 (sleep resume) issue, all things look bright.
                            There are only 2 more days until Sager will have the final word on these 2 new GPUs.
                            Personal Quote :
                            Angelina can make your fps rise faster and faster.
                            Your laptop will always lag next to her
                            I would configure her with bigger...
                            Na, she`s perfect.

Comment

So, approximately how much more is dual 8800's going to cost on the new configurations for pre-order on the 6th, relative to curent cost for dual 8700's?

I'm a bit anxious, since I intend to place an order for a 9261 with dual 8800's as soon as you begin accepting pre-orders.

Comment

Working...
                              X