• Welcome to XOTIC PC Forums! If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sager 5791 Noise & Sager 9261 thickness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sager 5791 Noise & Sager 9261 thickness

I'm in the midst of that exciting (and troubling) time of getting a new laptop. My old Acer Travelmate died and I need one for work (and play). Since I'm going to spend big $ I want a laptop that will run new programs like Crysis with adequate framerate at the higher resolutions. With that in mind I want to preorder one with 8800 video cards. For my work, it will occasionally be used in meetings, so I want one that is relatively quiet and doesn't blow a scorching wind on someone across the table from me. The program that would be open in these meetings are either Access database, Excel files or Word docs.

From reading reviews on each, my biggest concerns are:
    5791 - all the reviews mention that the fans are noisy and cycle often.
    9261 - reviews comment that due to thickness of the pc, the height of the keyboard being uncomfortable.

I would appreciate any feedback, I must make a decision soon, I need it in hand by mid to late January.

the 5791 is somewhat noisy.

The fans turn on often, maybe once every few minutes, during normal use ( meaning not gaming ) and they stay on for about a minute.

This fan is pretty loud, loud enough that I noticed it immediately and it bothered me throughout a day of use.

I recently returned this laptop and bought a 9261.

The 9261 has a slightly higher normal noise level but more intense fans do not kick in. This is nice for quieter environments. It has way more efficient cooling I guess? Even with a quad core cpu I wasn't getting much heat or fan noise out of it.

I did not find anything uncomfortable about the 9261's keyboard. Using it on a notebook cooler like the Zalman NC1000 puts it at an even more comfortable position though.

The 9261 is the thickest, heaviest, craziest notebook I've ever had my hands on. I am eagerly awaiting my new one with 8800M's. It'll be the greatest thing ever.

Comment

It is true that the fans of the Sager 5791 are a bit louder than your average lapto fans, since it has2,one for the CPU which pretty much stays on all the time and the GPU one , which kicks in at about every 40 during normal use,or 20-30 second on gaming,even always on when intense gaming. But keep in mind that this is not just a laptop,it`s a desktop replacement. You probably would get irritated with the noise as I get sometimes when being in a very quiet room, but then again, as I said, it`s a DTR. Stays VERY cool all the time.

The 9261 is really thick considering the fact that is has room for 3 HDD, 2 GPUs and a quad core processor.However the fans are much quieter than those of the 5791,but the weight can be 150% of the 5791,and the price is much higher also.

It all comes down to what you`re using it. I can`t use my 5791 in a library,but I could not carry the 9261 after me in a library anyway, so the 5791 met all my needs..I am hoping that in the future I will be able to do something about the fans

Good luck!
      Personal Quote :
      Angelina can make your fps rise faster and faster.
      Your laptop will always lag next to her
      I would configure her with bigger...
      Na, she`s perfect.

Comment

Is replacing the fans on the 5791 with some ultra-quiet fans a viable option? I never really researched notebook fans, but I know on desk-tops you can find some very quiet running fans for $$. Of course, it's a lot more common to build-your-own desktop than notebook, so may not be as easy to find. If yo could find them, I wonder what that would do to your warranty.

Comment

The fans are standard,but then again I have a very sensitive ear and I expect the utmost clarity and fidelity from my products, so I am being subjective. The fans are loud,but not very loud,and it is because the keep the laptop COOL at all times. I`d rather have a laptop that is a bit noisier and stays cool than one silent and hot.
          Yoy should however contact Sager and ask them if the fans are factory standard or they can be replaced (at least the GPU one)
          www.sagernotebook.com
          Personal Quote :
          Angelina can make your fps rise faster and faster.
          Your laptop will always lag next to her
          I would configure her with bigger...
          Na, she`s perfect.

Comment

Working...
          X