• Welcome to XOTIC PC Forums! If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Laptops used as DAWs for music production

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptops used as DAWs for music production

Just curious if anyone out there is using a laptop for music production? I'm interested in recording (using SONAR) and playing live virtual instruments. Does anyone have success stories? Horror stories? I'd love to hear them.

Sager NP9261looks like it has the horsepower, only concerns I have are the 4-wire FireWire port and potential for heat problems.

Thanks,
    John L.

Re: Laptops used as DAWs for music production

Originally posted by jlacasel
    Just curious if anyone out there is using a laptop for music production? I'm interested in recording (using SONAR) and playing live virtual instruments. Does anyone have success stories? Horror stories? I'd love to hear them.

Sager NP9261looks like it has the horsepower, only concerns I have are the 4-wire FireWire port and potential for heat problems.

Thanks,
    John L.
    I don't do music but do work with video editing. I have an NP9261 which I upgraded the memory from 2GB to 3GB (OCZ DDR800). Iuse my computer primarily at home whcih means it operates in a climate controlled environment. Now, regarding your question about horror and heat.
    Horror, none to date with either my NP9261 or NP9890. As a matter of fact, I got the NP9261 because I was so pleased with the NP9890 I decided to dump my tower case and replace it with the NP9261, which I have done. With three 250GB HDs, it has the same storage as the tower case. The machine fast (3.0GHZ Core 2 Duo) but boots slower than my tower case did which had a 3.0GHZ P4. I suspect the pre-installed gunk slows it up. One day I may reformat the drives and reinstall minus a lot of stuff it came with but right now it simply isn't a problem.
    I do notice my video editors seem to work faster when rendering. I have yet to make this computer really sweat but that will change this coming spring semester when put it through some serious video editing work while creating education files for DVDs. I can tell you I have it on all day daily and even forget to turn it off sometimes. Menaing it ran all night. It is always cool to the touch BUT does get warm, not hot, just warm from time to time.
    Now, to be honest, part of the reason for the coolnes may be that I have it mounted on an X cooler stand which allows the fans to do their job seeminly with high efficiency. The link to this gadget is: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834999220

So basically, I currently have no horror stories and no heating problem. I'm convinced any notebook can over heat if the fans are too close to the surface to do their job properly. I'm also convinced that high end notebook coolers are a joke because the pads beneath a notebook prevents direct contact with the cooler which could them act as a heat sink to siphon heat from the computer. Plus the USB fans are weak and not all that effective compared to the computer's own fans. So raising the notebook 1-2 inches without ant surface blocking the airflow makes sense to me and that's what I did. The NP9261 has been operating as I write this since 2:30AM this morning (teachers don't sleep during final exam week) and it's cool to the touch even beneath and behind it. Slightly warm air is blowing out the back but it's the same temperature my casual breathing exhalation is.
    I am a fussy person when it comes to cars or computers. Trust me, if there was something to complain about, you'd know it. I'm loyal to my pocketbook. Xotic got into mine because of customer service and selling a product that actually works as advertised. Eeven the, they heard from me about a few minor things. So believe me, my answer to you is on the up and up as far as myown experience with the NP9261 (and NP9890).
    ---Those are my principles. if you don't like them, I have others.--- {Groucho Marx}

Comment

Thanks for the reply! I went ahead and purchased the NP9261 after a buying trip to Sweetwater Sound (www.sweetwater.com). Now I am sitting in a cubicle with lots of cool sound hardware/software and enduring new gear lust until my laptop arrives.

Comment

Working...
      X