• Welcome to XOTIC PC Forums! If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

9262 questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9262 questions

The blu-ray drive is it read and write looks like it in the decsription, just want clarification.

Also how future proof is the motherboard, is it drr3 compliant. One guy at work told me drr3 systems will be running up to 16 gig of memory, and 8 core processors by the end of 08. He's pretty into computers, and helped put me onto this system, so I have some faith in him.

Hard drives still need to speed up development, 600gb has me worried I will fill it to soon, but it's the best they can do on a 7200rpm drive.

I have a sl1 version on order, just wondering if I should wait longer and buy a cheapie to get me through. I am morning the loss of access to my music collection, and the ps3 isn't much of a web brouser.

It's just recently the idea of getting a cheap laptop and then a huge arse tv has become a bit more appealing. I hate decisions like this.

The blu-ray drive is read and write

At this time only DDR2 memory is supported.

Comment

Re: 9262 questions

Originally posted by the_hulkamaniac
      The blu-ray drive is it read and write looks like it in the decsription, just want clarification.

Also how future proof is the motherboard, is it drr3 compliant. One guy at work told me drr3 systems will be running up to 16 gig of memory, and 8 core processors by the end of 08. He's pretty into computers, and helped put me onto this system, so I have some faith in him.

=================comment below===============
      It's your money and your computer. Question for me is why have 16GB memory? Do youhave VISTA? Do your software programs benefit from
      16GB RAM? Does your software work without a hitch with 3-4GB RAM?

Honest questions. I have a 2006 Impala with a 214hp engine. Newer versions and 2006 SS models have moe powerful engines. Push the gas on them and your wheels spin. Great show but the speed limit (and ever present cops around here), plus the fact the stores, employer facilities, and friends' houses can't get up and run off means those over-muscled Impalas would get me to the same place in about the same time. BUT, since they eat gasoline faster, I'd be throwing my money away with next to no real benefit. And my Impala gets me off the freeway ramp into traffic pretty darn quick.
      ===================end comment===============

Hard drives still need to speed up development, 600gb has me worried I will fill it to soon, but it's the best they can do on a 7200rpm drive.

====================comment below==============
      I understand this. I eat up HD space like a Hummer eats gasoline. It's so bad I have attached to my NP9261 at any given time depending on what I'm working on, between 4 - 6 USB and Firewire external HDs and to accomodate everybody, I use a 7 port Belkins USB 2.0 hub as the onboard 4 ports aren't enough.
      ==================end comment==================

[clipped for brevity]

It's just recently the idea of getting a cheap laptop and then a huge arse tv has become a bit more appealing. I hate decisions like this.
      ================comment below===================
      Sounds like a good idea if you only plan to watch TV, play games and do no serious work with the laptop. Cheap ass laptops with MB accepting 16GB RAM won't be cheap ass. Probably still cheaper than the Sagers because they will lack many of the Sager's unique features. Which drags me back to the earlier quetsion. What do you need 16GB RAM for?

Personally, I'd love to have 16GB RAM with all the video based work I do. More RAM is better than a damn, I say. But I run XP SP2 because I never buy a new Microsoft OS until it has been around for three years. And my applications don't even grunt with the 3GB I have in the system. Well, that's not entirely true. I finally got fed up with Quicktime Pro's quirky behavior which at times caused my system to hang. When it did that to my brand new NP9261, I did what I was planning before and should have done long ago. I dumped it for QuictimeAlternative [http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...ternative.htm] and my problems went away. So beyond that, while I covet 16GB RAM, I haven't really needed it given how I use my computer. But once I decide VISTA is worth my having, and Xotic somes out with a 16GB handing product, I'm certain they will have me as a customer yet again. Justin and company have no idea what they did in my case. Before I discovered Xotic, I was pretty much set on going Apple notebook. But the NP9890 (at that tme) was very attention getting. The more I read up on it, the more I liked it. And here I am. At presentations, even the snotty Apple owners stand around in awe at the NP9890 asking me quetsions about it. The NP9261 doesn't go conferencing but if it did, I'm sure it too would grab attention.
      Now that 16GB RAM, what for?
      ---Those are my principles. if you don't like them, I have others.--- {Groucho Marx}

Comment

First off jrwomack I'm glad your a motor head. I am not a huge car guy after looks. Bodyman, here. BUT I am am avid atv racer, so I look for more power where ever I can get it.

i placed 16gb as the upper imit of what is coming with in the next year or so, as a readly available notebook computer. As of now, no I cannot use that much available memory. Do I want it! yes, of course, like I wan't a 0-60 of 2.0sec.

I finaly bit the bug to buy into a top end computer, along with that I would like it to last at least 3 up to 5 years. With at least two years being a completely viable machine. Now I am not talking as is, I do hope the system totaly future proof but to say, if every two tears I can invest $1500-2000 and continue to have a viable unit. I spend that much per year on basic atv maintenance. Just saying as things progress my pc can move along with and continue to remain current.

See what has brought me to this, is the talk about peryn, xp 64bit, drr3 motherboards, optical layouts. All of this kinda tells me I could get buy with a cheapie for a few month's then jump back on the bandwagon. I want to spend between 5 and 6 G on a computer then not have to touch it for at least two years. If it has the potental to upgrade after it will make me very happy.

sorry for the bid story but I have been thining about this kind of computer for a while now, to the point I was going to buy a voodoo then I was turned onto the fact a voodoo is a rebranded clevo. That was a year ago, the voodoo hasnt changed very much but the industry has. This system seem's like the most upgradeable thing ever. So like my 86 250R this thing seems like the most upgradeable thing ever, viable years down the road. Thats all I can hope for.

So what do I need 16gb of ram for! I'll tell you in two years.

Comment

Originally posted by the_hulkamaniac
          ==============clipped for brevity=================

i placed 16gb as the upper imit of what is coming with in the next year or so, as a readly available notebook computer. As of now, no I cannot use that much available memory. Do I want it! yes, of course, like I wan't a 0-60 of 2.0sec.

====================reply below=================

Understood. I have "wants" that ignore common sense too, as do we all I'll wager.
          ======================end reply===============

I finaly bit the bug to buy into a top end computer, along with that I would like it to last at least 3 up to 5 years. With at least two years being a completely viable machine. Now I am not talking as is, I do hope the system totaly future proof but to say, if every two tears I can invest $1500-2000 and continue to have a viable unit. I spend that much per year on basic atv maintenance. Just saying as things progress my pc can move along with and continue to remain current.
          ===============reply below=====================

Understood. Though I hope my two Sagers last more than just two years.
          Mainly because I don't see my use changing much considering what I do.
          But different strokes for different folks.

====================end reply=====================

See what has brought me to this, is the talk about peryn, xp 64bit, drr3 motherboards, optical layouts. All of this kinda tells me I could get buy with a cheapie for a few month's then jump back on the bandwagon. I want to spend between 5 and 6 G on a computer then not have to touch it for at least two years. If it has the potental to upgrade after it will make me very happy.

=======================reply below=================

Understood, though I don't pay attention to talk about new stuff unless it has a direct and significant bearing on how I use the computer. If what I have get the job done with minimal aggravation, I'm easy to keep happy. BUT I admit I got the NP9890 partly because I wanted to have something no one else presenting at conferences I attend has. However, usefulness was also a factor. I had seen some notebooks stumble over big video files. You know, periodic hesitating and micro-pauses during play backs. Long loading times and so on. I figured the NP9890 (at that time) with serious CPU muscle and 4GB RAM wouldn't have that problem. Seems I'm right.
          The NP9261, is due to the fact I liked the NP9890 so much I decided to just dump my tower case and go with REAL desktop replacement. Why? To save space. To let me just pack up and bring all my computer based work with me during my summers off or other our of town excursions. No more hauling DVDs and external HDs in hope whatever machine I had to use elsewhere had the software to run the files. I just throw the NP9261 into its big Targas rolling case and off I go.
          I have though of the 64 bit and newer memory stuff but I have an
          if it ain't brokedon't fix it attitude in most cases. So I don't pay attention unless it significantly impacts my real usage of the machine. Now, if they come out with a cybernetic connection that lets me avoid keyboarding and just get work done bythinking about it--THAT would make me pay attention!
          ====================end reply===================

sorry for the bid story but I have been thining about this kind of computer for a while now, to the point I was going to buy a voodoo then I was turned onto the fact a voodoo is a rebranded clevo. That was a year ago, the voodoo hasnt changed very much but the industry has. This system seem's like the most upgradeable thing ever. So like my 86 250R this thing seems like the most upgradeable thing ever, viable years down the road. Thats all I can hope for.

=====================reply below==================

Now, you are talking my language. If could bu an upgradable notebook built along the lines of the NP9890 (I'm addicted to the idea of a notebook with two DVD drives) and the NP9261 (I'm in love with a notebook that has three hard drives) and is also user upgradable, I swear I'd get a nuclear device to hold off other buyers so I could grab such a computer right away.

=================end reply======================

So what do I need 16gb of ram for! I'll tell you in two years.
          =====================reply below===============

The real quetsion would be if there is software that would actually use it to its full potential. A logical choice would be video editors and of course games which I don't play. Frankly, I too would love 16GB if I knew for sure my software would put it to use. BUT I'm stopped also because I use XP SP2 which can't access that much RAM. I refuse to buy VISTA for three for years by which time I figure they will finally have gotten the OS' bugs and other mess cleaned up. Then, I may very wel jump on your 16GB bandwagon. MAYBE. I suspect the NP9261 can be loaded with that much RAM if it was in 8GB modules. I'd actually experiment with the idea if I had VISTA. And if it can, I'd just keep the NP9261.
          Been nice jawing with you, pal. I really hope you find what makes you happy. That's the least we computerers can hope for each other. The best to you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
          ---Those are my principles. if you don't like them, I have others.--- {Groucho Marx}

Comment

Working...
          X