• Welcome to XOTIC PC Forums! If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GPU vs CPU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPU vs CPU

I an trying to piece together an awesome 9262 and would appreciate advice. With crysis and DX 10 games in mind, should I get an extreme 6800 chip with 1 8800 GTX, or a quad core and 8800 SLI? I dont have budget for both, but Im curious how others would configure it.
    Thanks
    SAGER NP9262 Ultimate Custom Laptop
    Video Card: SLI ENABLED DUAL (2)8800 GTX 512MB PCI-E
    - Processor: ~Intel Core 2 QUAD Q9450 2.6GHz
    Operating System: ~Windows Vista Ultimate 64-Bit I
    - Ram: ~ 4,096MB DDR2 800 (2 SODIMMS) D
    - Raid: Raid 0-Stripe (Combines primary
    - Third Hard Drive: ~ 250GB 5400RPM (Serial-ATA 150)
    - Secondary Hard Drive: ~ 100GB 7200RPM (Serial-ATA 150)
    - Primary Hard Drive: ~ 100GB 7200RPM (Serial-ATA 150)

I believe that the dual GPU setup will give you better performance than a fast processor with a single GPU, but you can always get the fast processor with a single GPU and put the second in later. The decision is up to you.
    Sager NP5792

Microsoft Windows Vista Premium 64-Bit
    17" WUXGA
    Intel Core 2 Duo T7700 2.4GHz
    4 GB DDR2 667 RAM
    1 GB Intel Robson Turbo Memory
    500 GB 7200RPM Seagate Momentus HD
    nVidia GeForce 8800M GTX 512MB GDDR3

FORUM TROLL 4 LIFE
    http://teamamerimixwcg.blogspot.com/...online_05.html

Comment

I think Oregoncoast is talking strictly from a gaming sense. Most bang for your buck? A single GPU and a faster processor. Why? 99.999% of programs are not writen for SLI setups. Sure, you can name some that will take advantage of SLI, but these games will also perform well with the 8800 single. Now, if you are only going to play crysis 24\7, then SLI and slower processor... but I think for the long haul, a faster processor now, and a second GPU down the road (and when they are cheaper) is the best bet!

Mike
      Xith
      Sager NP5797
      2.8 Duo
      4 Gigs o Ram
      nVidia 9800 M GTX
      Some Turbo memory that adds at least 50 HP!
      Lots of other bells and whistles...

"Build a Man a Fire, and He'll Be Warm for a Day.
      Set a Man on Fire, and He'll Be Warm for the Rest of His Life."

Comment

8800 future price

Do you guys think the 8800m will get cheaper? I'm not so sure, since nvidia tends to discontinue a model when they upgrade, rather than offering it to us at a lower cost. I have a feeling that the 8800m will hold price until the 8850m or 8900m comes out, and then they'll stop making it and that chip will become the new price-point. I could be wrong, but I doubt I'll be able to pick up an 8800m for less down the road. I just hope I remember to keep checking and order one before they discontinue it.

Comment

My guess, is that everything, and i mean everything, in the future will be coded for quad-core or even more cores when they come out. It only makes sense. IMO, to say that dual-core is a wiser choice because 'now' nothing is coded for quad-core is very short-sighted.

SLI is always a weird issue, it helps, but its always extremely expensive. When top of the line SLI goes down in price, it usually gets replaced by a next generation single card that can do better. Same thing here, I think more and more programs will take advantage of multiple GPU's in the very soon to come days.

I think sacrificing a few MHZ on a quad core, is more than worth it, considering 'when' things use quad core, it will be 'twice' as fast as a dual core.

Comment

i agree, quad core is a good choice, for now and the future...but sli might be too expensive and usually 1 gpu should be enough to play games, MUST BE ENOUGH i do not spend more than 4000$ for a laptop for crysis...

Comment

Bang for the buck

You might want to think about a Q6600 for now with a single GPU. Then, hopefully the Penryn chips are supported in the spring and you can upgrade to a quad core that is much faster and more power efficient for a fraction of the price of an extreme chip.

Comment

I doubt that the 8800M GTX willl just fade out of existence just like that.... It is still VERY new and I am sure that nVidia will stretch out its time on the market before releasing a new series. Wait a few months and it will drop a few hundred dollars for sure. By then you can worry about more games like Crysis being released any how.
                Sager NP5792

Microsoft Windows Vista Premium 64-Bit
                17" WUXGA
                Intel Core 2 Duo T7700 2.4GHz
                4 GB DDR2 667 RAM
                1 GB Intel Robson Turbo Memory
                500 GB 7200RPM Seagate Momentus HD
                nVidia GeForce 8800M GTX 512MB GDDR3

FORUM TROLL 4 LIFE
                http://teamamerimixwcg.blogspot.com/...online_05.html

Comment

I've noticed that GPU upgrades seem more complex (mb upgrades/driver issuse/cost/labor) than CPU upgrades, with this in mind you may wish to go for upgrading the CPU at a later date. But thats just my opinion
                  Sager NP5792
                  Alienware M11x-R1
                  WUXGA Glossy
                  11.6" WXVGA Glossy
                  2.4GHz Core 2 Duo
                  1.3GHz CULV Core 2 Duo OCed to 1.76GHz
                  GeForce 8800GTX
                  GeForce GT 335m
                  4,096 DDR2 667 Memory
                  4,096 DDR3 800 Memory
                  200 Gb 7200 RPM SATA 150
                  128 Gb GSkill Falcon SSD
                  64 bit Vista Home Premium
                  Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium

Comment

Go with the Q6600 but get it with Go Steping, make sure. That cpu is the one I got cause its one of the most OCable out there atm (From 2.4 to some reported 4.0ghz stable. make sure case fits a zalman or tower cooler).... And I would/am wait(ing) for the 8800 to drop neways before SLIing.... but Im just a poor collage student, got the 8800 gts 640mb to save money too... :P

:twisted: Dr.Thompson :twisted:

Comment

Remember, this is a laptop forum.

Originally posted by FearAndLoathingInCali
                      Go with the Q6600 but get it with Go Steping, make sure. That cpu is the one I got cause its one of the most OCable out there atm (From 2.4 to some reported 4.0ghz stable. make sure case fits a zalman or tower cooler).... And I would/am wait(ing) for the 8800 to drop neways before SLIing.... but Im just a poor collage student, got the 8800 gts 640mb to save money too... :P

:twisted: Dr.Thompson :twisted:

Comment

Working...
                      X