• Welcome to XOTIC PC Forums! If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sager NP8690: i7 620m or i7 740qm cpu?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sager NP8690: i7 620m or i7 740qm cpu?

Having a hard time deciding between those two processors.

i7 620m and the i7 740qm

I will be gaming mostly, but people keep saying that the quad cores will be a better buy, but then again atm dual cores are better?

Idk, can someone please clear this up? I just saw a post on it, but I'm still not convinced. A buddy of mine is saying that the QM will be worth it since it has hyperthreading.

Thank you!
    ~Marnaz

For gaming I think the 620 will offer better performance. Not that the difference will be noticeable in gaming since those are more GPU dependent.
    G73JH-A2
    i7-720 CPU HD5870 GPU
    8GB 1333MHz DDR3 2x500GB HDD

Comment

Originally posted by Marnaz View Post
      Having a hard time deciding between those two processors.

i7 620m and the i7 740qm

I will be gaming mostly, but people keep saying that the quad cores will be a better buy, but then again atm dual cores are better?

Idk, can someone please clear this up? I just saw a post on it, but I'm still not convinced. A buddy of mine is saying that the QM will be worth it since it has hyperthreading.

Thank you!
      ~Marnaz

Hyperthreading in gaming atm is almost pointless. Once you have two physical cores or more (with the exception of like one game: GTA IV) the pure speed of the dual core is, for the most part, superior to the slower quad core for gaming. That said the i7-740QM offers better performance in almost every other category.

Comment

Originally posted by powerpack View Post
        For gaming I think the 620 will offer better performance. Not that the difference will be noticeable in gaming since those are more GPU dependent.
        Okay so if I get the i7 620m, should I get the 1333ghz memory so if I want to upgrade later I can, or does the RAM not even work with the i7 620m?

Comment

just go with regular RAM unless the upgrade is free
          -Sager NP8760-i7-720QM-HD5870-

Comment

Originally posted by mrmatt View Post
            just go with regular RAM unless the upgrade is free
            Yup, it is free.

Comment

Originally posted by Marnaz View Post
              Yup, it is free.
              then do it..
              -Sager NP8760-i7-720QM-HD5870-

Comment

I don't think the 620 will run at 1333MHz. I guess I would get even if it does not run at speed if free.

RAM and bandwidth is so high it is normally not the bottleneck so not critical. 1333MHz is faster clocks but higher latency. I would go with faster clocks but would not pay much for. In theory with many requests 1066MHz could be faster.

I think we should all include the specs of our current computer. The reason is that is what we use as a base line. I went from 6GB to 15GB read bandwidth. My last notebook is still fast. All current should rock. All you P4 guys go dual or quad core. You will be shocked with the performance.
                Last edited by powerpack; 07-26-2010, 02:08 AM.
                G73JH-A2
                i7-720 CPU HD5870 GPU
                8GB 1333MHz DDR3 2x500GB HDD

Comment

In my opinion the 620M might be enough. If you want the most powerful processor of those two, the 740QM is the strongest.
                  Last edited by caimbrie0027; 01-10-2015, 02:59 PM.
                  daily ads directory | cheap web hosting | internet softwares | Pakistan Real Estate Classified

Comment

Working...
                  X