• Welcome to XOTIC PC Forums! If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A few suggestions for future revisions of 9262 concept

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few suggestions for future revisions of 9262 concept

Overall, the best notebook I've had in my 12 years of using them. Far better than Alienware or XPS. I got the Q6700 with 4GB RAM and single 8800m plus 2x160GB HDDs RAID 0. This thing screams with over 10,000 3D Mark 06.

Only annoyances are

1. All USB ports on right side interferes with mouse usage on laptop desk that sits on my lap, not enough room for usb dongle and using the mouse.

2. Cord from power brick to laptop way too short, needs about 2 more feet. Cord from wall to brick is OK, but just barely.

3. Sager installed the two HDDs with one in the battery bay and one in the easy to access slot in the HDD cage. This meant that when I added a 3rd 250GB drive, I had to remove the pre-installed HDD from the cage and put both back in. Pretty annoying considering it would have been much simpler to just add it under the battery or even in the slot in the cage that didn't require removing the other one to get to.

4. Linux boot editors (GParted, etc) can't see the "FakeRAID array". Not sure if this will be mitigated over time as support is added by the community for the chipset or not. It was a nightmare setting up tri-boot, but I've now got it running XP 32, Vista 64, and Ubuntu 7.10. Had to add the third HDD to install Ubuntu on because the live CD couldn't see the RAID array, it just sees two 160GB HDDs with jibberish on them. Took about 15 hours + the cost of the 250GB HDD when it would have only taken about 1 hour if the FakeRAID was recognized. Maybe ask Sager to request Intel to release more info to open source developers for these high end chipsets?

Re: A few suggestions for future revisions of 9262 concept

Originally posted by pfarrell77
    2. Cord from power brick to laptop way too short, needs about 2 more feet. Cord from wall to brick is OK, but just barely
    I also have this problem. The brick-to-laptop cord should be long enough to allow the user to sit in a recliner and place the brick on the ground to the left or right

Comment

It also needs esata and hdmi ports.

Comment

Tell it to Clevo, Sager doesn't design these laptops, especially Xotic... plus I think they are well aware of these problems, you know, they design laptops, I'm sure it's just a bit more difficult than "Awwww lets just put a few usb ports on the left side and the back (somewhere in all those vents) that would be nice." rofl. You can solve your mouse dongle thing by getting a VX nano, you can find one pretty cheap lately.
        Sager NP5793
        Vista HP x64
        17" WUXGA
        Core 2 Duo T9300 2.5Ghz 6Mb L2 Cache
        4 GB DDR2 667Mhz RAM
        UJ-220 Blu-Ray Super Multi DVD
        200 GB HD 7200RPM
        Nvidia GeForce 8800M GTX
        TV Tuner Card

Comment

Originally posted by EGB
          It also needs esata and hdmi ports.
          Well, that'll arrive in the new Clevos! The 17" M570TU (newer version of current Sager NP5793) and the 15.4" M860TU , both with e-SATA and HDMI ! These should release shortly after Montevina is out!

Comment

Void your warranty :twisted:

With some huevos, shrink tube, wire and some solder, the wire from the brick to the laptop can be extended. Just size the wire one size up for the added length (no voltage drop.) Should be OK as I have already done this quite a few times.

Necessity is the mother of invention.
            Sometimes living on a boat is like living in a cave.

Comment

yep that'll do the trick. and on the other end of the brick(outlet side), BELKIN makes a cord that mates with the brick and its longer too...
              Sager np9262: 17" 1920x1200wuxga, E6850 Core2duo 3.0ghz 1.3ghz fsb 4mb L2 cache, 4Gb 800mhz ram, 1x nvidia geforce 8800mgtx 512mb gpu, 3x100gb hdd 7200rpm, Raid 0, vista ultimate x64 os, tv tuner, x-fi 7.1 sound card, triple fan cooler, 3Dmark06 9745

Comment

I am all for the tricks......

Thanks for the BELKIN cord match up. I just hate cutting into a new 120 Volt cord.

Comment

Considering the price of the NP9262 they should upgrade the LCD as well IMO. I've read that the current offering has flickering and dimness issues.

Comment

NP9262 & 45nm Penryn support??

Does anyone know if the current NP9262 supports the 45nm Penryn processor?

I was just curious. I just ordered one with the duo 3ghz 6mb cache. I won't need to replace the processor for a LONG time, but perhaps in the future, when the Penryn is cheaper, it might make sense to switch one in.

Comment

There is a 45 nm processor available for the 9262

The Sager NP9262 uses desktop processors not laptop processors. The current offering that uses the 45nm cores is the Intel Core 2 Duo E8400. I am hoping that the 45nm core 2 quad(s) is (are) an option prior to my ordering one.

Comment

The "desktop" penryns are under testing at this time. They do work in the machine but a bios revision is needed. Clevo/Sager are still working out the kinks and we should see these processors available soon.
                        Justin Nolte
                        [email protected]
                        http://www.xoticpc.com

Comment

Flickering is not a problem with the screen.

Originally posted by EGB View Post
                          Considering the price of the NP9262 they should upgrade the LCD as well IMO. I've read that the current offering has flickering and dimness issues.
                          I have done some research on this as I have also run into this problem in another forum. The problem is caused by interference through grounding from another piece of equipment on the electrical line you are using. It is called a ground loop. Here is a site that should complicate, or help illuminate matters.

http://www.epanorama.net/documents/g...op/basics.html

The site states that there even could be some damage from "INTER SYSTEM GROUND NOISE." But this is for computers connected with AC. So you might try moving your 'brick' further away from your screen to see if this solves or lessens the problem. The brick is your AC adapter, this changes AC to DC so it is probably the only thing that is causing the problem.

There is even a company (gasp! another reseller) that sells a device that sits in front of your adapter (brick) that isolates the ground loop. Hence the name Ground Loop Isolators. You can google this to find a reasonable solution to your flickering screen problem.

Just a FYI.

Comment

you should like that E8400. i wish it had been available for purchase when i configured mine. i so would hv bought it. lol
                            Sager np9262: 17" 1920x1200wuxga, E6850 Core2duo 3.0ghz 1.3ghz fsb 4mb L2 cache, 4Gb 800mhz ram, 1x nvidia geforce 8800mgtx 512mb gpu, 3x100gb hdd 7200rpm, Raid 0, vista ultimate x64 os, tv tuner, x-fi 7.1 sound card, triple fan cooler, 3Dmark06 9745

Comment

Working...
                            X