• Welcome to XOTIC PC Forums! If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dumb noob Question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumb noob Question.

Been drooling all over these Lappy's... I am looking at the 5793. Am I to understand that I can change the vid card out myself at a later date? I.E. if I get it with the 8700 I can change to the 8800 or whatever is hot at that time? Or because of the mid grade card is that out of the question?

There are no Dumb Questions, just Dumb People that ask questions.
    Thank a VET
    POW/MIA We Will Never Forget

you can chnage it to the 8800 but at the moment it can only use the 8700, 8800 and i think another 8xxx series card but i cant remember what that one is.

Comment

To reiterate, yes. The NP5793 is designed with a discrete GPU, which means it can be removed (by yourself or a professional) and upgraded without having to replace the motherboard. It should be noted however that, though it can handle either the 8700M and 8800M at this stage, it does not guarantee future GPU upgrades will be possible. Nvidia tries to make their GPUs compatible with existing technology but can not always accomplish this, sometimes requiring a motherboard revision to facilitate the new hardware (as what occurred with the NP5791 to NP5792 revision) I just mention this as a side thought
      Sager NP5792
      Alienware M11x-R1
      WUXGA Glossy
      11.6" WXVGA Glossy
      2.4GHz Core 2 Duo
      1.3GHz CULV Core 2 Duo OCed to 1.76GHz
      GeForce 8800GTX
      GeForce GT 335m
      4,096 DDR2 667 Memory
      4,096 DDR3 800 Memory
      200 Gb 7200 RPM SATA 150
      128 Gb GSkill Falcon SSD
      64 bit Vista Home Premium
      Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium

Comment

So it is not like the PCI-E slot on a desktop Moboard :?:

My wittl bwain Huts :?
        Thank a VET

Comment

The 5793 is user upgradeable, so the GPU can be switched between a 8700M GT, quadro FX 1600M, 7950GTX or 8800M GTX without voiding the warranty.
          Personal Quote :
          Angelina can make your fps rise faster and faster.
          Your laptop will always lag next to her
          I would configure her with bigger...
          Na, she`s perfect.

Comment

So we are not sure how upgradable (in the future) this platform will be? It all depends on the video card manufacturers. Is there any indication at this point as to the 9 series cards?
            Thank a VET

Comment

Nobody can really predict the future. The nVidia geforce 9800M GTX has yet to show up in the first place, only after which we can think of compatibility and upgrades! So nothing is certain at the moment.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I didn't know if ya'll were all a buzz about the next Gen cards yet. I just knew you guys had Madam Cleo on the payroll... :lol:
                Thank a VET

Comment

When Sager (and if) will be adopting the M570TU , that might be able to use the 9800M GTX, according to some rumours, but never base acquisition decisions on rumours and speculations.
                  Get the best now and enjoy it !
                  Personal Quote :
                  Angelina can make your fps rise faster and faster.
                  Your laptop will always lag next to her
                  I would configure her with bigger...
                  Na, she`s perfect.

Comment

I bought a Sager laptop on the recommendation of others and from looking at the problems I experienced, one of which is video card upgradability.

I referred to http://mxm-upgrade.com in looking at the video upgrade problem. XoticPC also helped them out with testing the 8700M's MXM Type IV? (HE)? card.

Comment

Working...
                    X