• Welcome to XOTIC PC Forums! If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

got my Sager, some newbie questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• got my Sager, some newbie questions

Hi, I recently received the Sager NP5793 I ordered, and, being a newbie to laptops and vista, I have some very basic questions.

I requested that the laptop have 32-bit vista home premium pre-installed, but I can't tell if that's the case. How do I tell if it's running 32-bit or 64-bit?

How do I uninstall the trial software that was loaded on it (MS Office 60-day trial, looks like)? Is there a single uninstall option that gets rid of all of it, or do you have to do it piecemeal?

Sometimes, when I'm in the start menu and hovering the mouse cursor over an option for a few seconds, it acts as though I clicked on that option, when in fact I did not. Does this indicate a possible problem with the touch pad, or is it just an annoying feature?

What is the best choice when it comes to anti-virus software, etc.? What will work with Vista?

On a positive note, the laptop seems to have arrived in good condition, though the box it came in was rather damaged.

It's been a difficult week, and not much has been going right for me, so it's hard for me to be excited right now, but I do have high hopes for this machine, and I hope it works fine, and will serve me well in the years to come.

Thanks for any advice you can give, us newbie types appreciate it.

to determine if the os is 32 or 64bit: go to control panel/welcome center/show more details. the system type will list 32 or 64 bit operating system
    Sager NP5792
    Alienware M11x-R1
    WUXGA Glossy
    11.6" WXVGA Glossy
    2.4GHz Core 2 Duo
    1.3GHz CULV Core 2 Duo OCed to 1.76GHz
    GeForce 8800GTX
    GeForce GT 335m
    4,096 DDR2 667 Memory
    4,096 DDR3 800 Memory
    200 Gb 7200 RPM SATA 150
    128 Gb GSkill Falcon SSD
    64 bit Vista Home Premium
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium

Comment

Originally posted by robamb2002
      to determine if the os is 32 or 64bit: go to control panel/welcome center/show more details. the system type will list 32 or 64 bit operating system
      Thanks, I see it now, must have missed it before. Looks like I ended up with the default 64-bit Vista install, despite my request. Is it worth trying to uninstall and then install 32-bit, or should I just go with it for now?

Also, the only windows disks I've found in the box are labeled "recovery disks", will this work to install from if need be? Or am I missing something?

Anything else in particular I should do starting out?

edit: I also notice that when I'm not plugged in to AC, I really have to press down for a few seconds on the power button to get it to boot up. Is that normal?

Comment

Yes it is normal.It is so to prevent the accidental turning on of the laptop.
        The recovery disks are sufficient for a full system instal, in case of any problems.You also have the drivers cd that came with the laptop,so you`re all covered
        Personal Quote :
        Angelina can make your fps rise faster and faster.
        Your laptop will always lag next to her
        I would configure her with bigger...
        Na, she`s perfect.

Comment

Working...
        X