• Welcome to XOTIC PC Forums! If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PROCESSES AND APPS...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PROCESSES AND APPS...

Can anyone tell me what processes need to be ran to play games? i was use to xp, but vista seems to be different in that aspect. im running ultimate x64. cant seem to get it right. certain ones that i close out make my games with no sound, or others wont even let the game boot. all i want to run are the BARE ESSENTIALS needed to play a game(for better performance of coarse!!) any help would be appreciated. thanks!
    Sager np9262: 17" 1920x1200wuxga, E6850 Core2duo 3.0ghz 1.3ghz fsb 4mb L2 cache, 4Gb 800mhz ram, 1x nvidia geforce 8800mgtx 512mb gpu, 3x100gb hdd 7200rpm, Raid 0, vista ultimate x64 os, tv tuner, x-fi 7.1 sound card, triple fan cooler, 3Dmark06 9745

In vista when you open up the task manager all of your processes will be listed there with a description of each application.

Comment

Black Viper

Check out this site dude:

http://www.blackviper.com/index.html

I wonder how much of a problem that is with a new high-end Vista system? I was stuck b/t choosing Linux or Vista for the new laptop I'll be ordering from Xotic and have been reading that Vista offers the best gaming performance (w/ DX10 and all). I think I'll just go the dual boot route w/ Vista/Linux. Vista for gaming and Linux for everything else...

Comment

thanx 4 all the info. well i will check it out.
        Sager np9262: 17" 1920x1200wuxga, E6850 Core2duo 3.0ghz 1.3ghz fsb 4mb L2 cache, 4Gb 800mhz ram, 1x nvidia geforce 8800mgtx 512mb gpu, 3x100gb hdd 7200rpm, Raid 0, vista ultimate x64 os, tv tuner, x-fi 7.1 sound card, triple fan cooler, 3Dmark06 9745

Comment

Re: Black Viper

Originally posted by tenuulch
          I was stuck b/t choosing Linux or Vista for the new laptop I'll be ordering from Xotic and have been reading that Vista offers the best gaming performance (w/ DX10 and all). I think I'll just go the dual boot route w/ Vista/Linux. Vista for gaming and Linux for everything else...
          I second that. After all, that's why we got all those HDDs. 8)
          Proud Mom of a:
          SAGER NP9262
          Intel Core 2 QUAD Q6700 2.66GHz
          nVidia GeForce 8800GTX 512MB x2 SLi config
          4,096MB DDR2 800
          RAIDed 3x200MB SATA2 7200RPM HDDs
          8x8x6x4x DVD +/-R/RW 5x DVD-RAM 24x CD-R/RW
          Vista Ultimate 64-bit & RH Linux ES 5 dual boot

Comment

TRANCED...hows ur 9262 holdin up? mine is still kikkn azz. just wondering? lol bye!

Comment

OOops, just found this. lol *shame shame* It's holding up pretty well. Of course, it kix @ss all the way around. I just have a few minor annoyances to deal with.

Firstly, the vid driver isn't quite, what I would call stable (ForceWare 174.82, nVidia recommended deafaults, 60Hz), but this may also partially be a MS issue. Hibernation caused a BSoD, and bricked my display. Had to return it to Sager, after tech support and I played around in the guts for a bit. They reset the CMOS and everything was fine again. They said it wasn't a hardware issue. Now I just get a "the device driver has stopped responding, but has recovered" msg after coming out of suspend. Hibernation causes no more problems now.

The touchpad enhanced features driver crashes everytime Windows boots up. Since I hardly use it, I got rid of it altogether, didn't feel like messing with it. Eventually, I will though, because it bugs me, I'm not gonna let a piece of hardware best me. lol What can I say, I'm a bit anal. hehehe

My vid cam had an attitude problem right out of the box, but I fixed that with the... lemme check... the DMax driver on the Sager CD (I think is where I got it, see attached file for details).

Heat. This beast is running too hot for my personal taste. Right now my cores are at 58,59,55,58 degrees C, and that's with the cooler on full blast. I don't dare run this thing without it. I don't even turn it off/hibernate it anymore, because that would kill the fans, and I don't like the idea of it sitting there with the heat slowly dissipating. However, I don't get any heat related issues, such as random reboots, hard faults, blah blah, the usual stuff that's common with overheating. However, I'm thinking about taking it apart and reapplying all the Arctic Silver and maybe modding the ZALMAN, to really force some air thru this thing, I have a few spare parts laying around that just might do it....

And I'm still trying to get that 3DMark06 score above 13K. lol I"m currently at 12996, and the missing 4 points are killing me. *giggle*

All things considered, this thing rocks! Even with the heat issue, there's some lappys out there that'll give you 2nd degree burns, so I guess this isn't the hottest running beast around.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by TraNceD.gURL; 05-09-2008, 09:49 AM.
              Proud Mom of a:
              SAGER NP9262
              4,096MB DDR2 800

Comment

lol wow. youve been bz with it then. ya know my touch pad thing crashes veverytime too. didnt at first when i got it but i think but aint sure, the random updates, and crap may hv done something to it. who knows... hahaha whats that stuff in the syringe that we got? is that the arctic silver u were talkin about? what the hell do i do with it. lmao you should be happy with your score btw. im getting 9745 to 9800 on avg... i am still using ALL the stock drivers on everything though. too scared to mess with alll that crap. lol guess i need to do it sometime though hu. well glad urz is holding up. i absolutely love mine. id probably treat it as one of my kids if anyone hurt it or stole it...welll theyd be hurtin REALLLL bad. lol laterz oh btw as i am typing this my core temps are both at 122f and my gpu is at 114.8f. of coarse its only been on for an hour and just got hm from work so i hvnt played any games...
                Last edited by bargegod; 05-10-2008, 06:54 AM.

Comment

What you need.

Originally posted by bargegod View Post
                  Can anyone tell me what processes need to be ran to play games? i was use to xp, but vista seems to be different in that aspect. im running ultimate x64. cant seem to get it right. certain ones that i close out make my games with no sound, or others wont even let the game boot. all i want to run are the BARE ESSENTIALS needed to play a game(for better performance of coarse!!) any help would be appreciated. thanks!

According to the person that started direct x for MicroHard, Alex St. John, the first thing that direct X did was to 'push windows out of the way.' That was way back in the dark ages of direct X so I really don't know just what in the windows OS is needed any more but you can get rid of lot's 'O' stuff.
                  The way the windows OS works now in Vista there is all kinds of user hand holding gadgets running in the background. Some of the processes do not stop right away when you start playing games. Best advice is to follow the Black Viper directions to stop some of the hand holding processes; indexing, restore point and so forth. I will just have Vista for games as I will be installing Ubuntu for everything else. Even my web crawling. LOL there is even a fix for the Hardware Raid on the Ubuntu forum site. I even posted it on the persons site here, search on 'fake raid.'

Anyway have fun slimming down the fat Vista, getting it lean and mean.

The addition of Ubuntu is not supposed to be too painful. There are some great sites available to help you set up on your rig. I have not herd many complaints about missing drivers and all that stuff. Even the new drivers for the internet card from Intel is in the Hardy Heron kernel now. If you are inside the registry and getting rid of things in Vista then Ubuntu should be just right up your street.
                  Sometimes living on a boat is like living in a cave.

Comment

Originally posted by bargegod View Post
                    whats that stuff in the syringe that we got? is that the arctic silver u were talkin about? what the hell do i do with it. lmao you should be happy with your score btw. im getting 9745 to 9800 on avg... i am still using ALL the stock drivers on everything though. too scared to mess with alll that crap. lol guess i need to do it sometime though hu.oh btw as i am typing this my core temps are both at 122f and my gpu is at 114.8f.
                    Yeah, that's the Arctic Silver, but don't bother, buy yourself a new tube, cuz the stuff is barely enough to redo the processor (they used it all our awesome bits and then send us the rest, it seems). It's supposedly the best there is as far as thermal paste goes. You just clean off the part with isopropyl alcohol (get it really clean), nice and neat, then spread that stuff EVENLY and not too thick across it (with a thin piece of plastic, to make it nice and even and bubble and streak free) then you put the heatsink back on. Voila. All done.

Oh, wanna roffle a little? I kept hitting FN+F1 for the fans. LOLOL It's FN+1, I feel like such a hoser, I was getting ready to call Xotic, but decided to do the unamerican thing first and read the instructions again. DOH! And here I was thinking to myself, dang I can't hear a diff between high and low.... Geez, so now the temps are 10 degs cooler, only Crysis now gets this thing to about 64 average now. In Vista it just hangs out mostly in the low 50s high 40s.

I played with the processes a little and got it down to 52. Plus, turn off indexing, and all that extra newbie crap they got in there, and ran the classic theme. But no diff in Crysis, my framerate still hangs out around the low 30s *ugh*, but I want my water to be pretty, so I guess I put up with that (for now) cuz I'm too lazy to make a new HW profile and set it all up, so I can play a freakin' game with 5 more frames squeezed out. I'm all about pretty. I want it to look awesome. Full screen, full res, all on high. I'm a girl, after all. So, I'm back to the way I want it, and I'm sticking with it. I believe it's partially the quad processor, it's not being utilized all that efficiently by most games... so I wait...
                    Proud Mom of a:
                    SAGER NP9262
                    4,096MB DDR2 800

Comment

TRANCED... lol. ur a trip. i bet ur fun to be around too. hahaha hell i didnt even know that function + 1 changes the fan speeds. i tried it and wow, u CAN HEAR the difference too. im like u in the aspect that i hardly ever read instructions. i like to experiment. hahha and as for crysis for me on high i only get 17.59fps. but i play on medium. plus i STILL havent killed a lot of un-nessessary apps yet. lol ttyl girl. laterz....

Comment

LOL well, tnx. I'm tripping most of the time, heh. j/k Anyhoo, there was one cut scene, when they first come across the iced boat in the middle of the jungle and first see the alien scumbag that looks like something directly ripped off from the Matrix movie. I got 8 FPS there, and desynced audio. THAT was actually what started the processes hunt & kill venture, but it doesn't change a thing, not anything worth mentioning anyway. My theory on this is, that most of those proggies probably run on the cores that are less utilized while playing Crysis, so therefore don't impact performance as you would think. Maybe Vista handles THAT part right, dunno tho. Just a guess, since I'm too lazy to actually bench it. hahaha
                        Proud Mom of a:
                        SAGER NP9262
                        4,096MB DDR2 800

Comment

Just curious what your average frames are on Crysis at all medium and all high no AA. That's with 2x 8800M GTX. Last time I played I got about 20-30 on all high and solid 40-50 on all medium at 1920x1200. Thanks in advance .
                          Sager NP5792

Microsoft Windows Vista Premium 64-Bit
                          17" WUXGA
                          Intel Core 2 Duo T7700 2.4GHz
                          4 GB DDR2 667 RAM
                          1 GB Intel Robson Turbo Memory
                          500 GB 7200RPM Seagate Momentus HD
                          nVidia GeForce 8800M GTX 512MB GDDR3

FORUM TROLL 4 LIFE
                          http://teamamerimixwcg.blogspot.com/...online_05.html

Comment

Lemme fire it up and see... gotta change settings, gimme a few mins and I'll let ya know...

I used the Crysis Benchmarking Tool, and it seems that I get anywhere between 24-67 FPS, depending on what's going on at the time. However, if you want average benchies, I'll run the tool, as it was designed, and let you know for sure. I gotta go, hubby has a new digi cam with a billion pixels and he wants to take a ride so he can play. lol
                            Last edited by TraNceD.gURL; 05-13-2008, 01:30 PM. Reason: Results
                            Proud Mom of a:
                            SAGER NP9262
                            4,096MB DDR2 800

Comment

my medium settings with no AA run at min 20.66 and max at 34.40fps and on low min 49.47 and max 97.64fps...but i just usually play on medium. I WANT ALL HIGH THOUGH!!! lol well that aint gonna happen till i buy the parent gpu and a q9550(when it comes available here). those results were from the crysis benchmark tool btw.

Comment

Working...
                              X