• Welcome to XOTIC PC Forums! If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hard Drives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard Drives

Will Xotic be adding further hard drive options anytime soon (i.e. 5973 model)? They have the 320GB 7200rpm coming out in June. Worst case, how relatively easy is it to swap in a HD ourselves (and does it void warranty?)?

I assume most people concerned with speed/gaming use the 7200rpm? I suppose there is a decent speed difference b/t 5400 and 7200.

As new hard drives are released we may add them to our configuration menu depending on there compatibility with the laptops. Swapping out a hard drive is very simple and does not void your warranty.

There is a big speed/performance difference between a 5400 and 7200 RPM hard drive.

Comment

Solid State

How about solid state drives, will Xotic offer those anytime soon? I know powertnotebooks.com and some other sites do offer solid state.

Do SSDs offer increased gaming performance as well? I heard they offer overall performance increase but for some reason not as well with games?

Comment

Yeah... it won't matter much in gaming. GPU affects gaming performance the most! CPU and RAM are also responsible for the performance in games. The faster speeds of SSDs will only help in file operations such as moving, copying files, etc. And games are negligibly affected by it, if at all.

Comment

SSD is more reliable and also reduce power consumption and increase batterylife... and cost a buttload more! :wink:

performance wise its benifits are marginal at best
          Sager NP5792
          Alienware M11x-R1
          WUXGA Glossy
          11.6" WXVGA Glossy
          2.4GHz Core 2 Duo
          1.3GHz CULV Core 2 Duo OCed to 1.76GHz
          GeForce 8800GTX
          GeForce GT 335m
          4,096 DDR2 667 Memory
          4,096 DDR3 800 Memory
          200 Gb 7200 RPM SATA 150
          128 Gb GSkill Falcon SSD
          64 bit Vista Home Premium
          Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium

Comment

Originally posted by robamb2002
            SSD is more reliable and also reduce power consumption and increase batterylife... and cost a buttload more! :wink:

performance wise its benifits are marginal at best
            my friends I need to tell you about this site, dedicated to SSD benchmarking, testing, and reliability analysis

http://www.dvnation.com/

Check out the MTRON SSD disks they have available.

This will be my next upgrade.

Comment

Personally until the price of these come down, or the new nanostring technology drives come out, I would rather up grade to SLI with a second 8800.
              Sometimes living on a boat is like living in a cave.

Comment

solid state drives in my opinion are good for 2 things....SPEEDY SPEED SPEEDY bootup/and shutdown, and longivity, meaning they will outlive ANY regular hdd. they have ZERO moving parts. kinda like ram. with no moving parts there really isnt anything to wear out. i wanted one for my vista ultimate. that was the only thing i was gonna load on it but it wasnt available through here. xtremenotebooks.com offers it but i cannot wouch for their workmanship or excellent customer care like u will find here at xoticpc. good luck! laters.....
                Sager np9262: 17" 1920x1200wuxga, E6850 Core2duo 3.0ghz 1.3ghz fsb 4mb L2 cache, 4Gb 800mhz ram, 1x nvidia geforce 8800mgtx 512mb gpu, 3x100gb hdd 7200rpm, Raid 0, vista ultimate x64 os, tv tuner, x-fi 7.1 sound card, triple fan cooler, 3Dmark06 9745

Comment

Originally posted by bargegod View Post
                  solid state drives in my opinion are good for 2 things....SPEEDY SPEED SPEEDY bootup/and shutdown, and longivity
                  There's still some debate about how compact-flash based memory compares in its longevity to mechanical drives.

The current state of the art is to use wear leveling to extend the number of writes that occur before sectors become unreliable. This means that when you change a single byte on a SSD or flash device that entire page is rewritten at another location. Good thing there is no seek-time penalty for SSD's. (also don't ever manually defrag a SSD, it's almost a complete waste of time and it shortens your drive's lifespan)

It's a good technique and it supposedly achieves several orders of magnitude of longevity over a flash drive without it, but SSD's don't naturally have a longer life than mechanical drives. They do have much better durability, extremely fast seek times, extremely low power requirements, and the highest quality SSDs have similar throughput performance to mechanical disks (early SSDs and cheaper SSDs do not have better throughput).

Comment

I have an SSD in my work laptop that I currently use. It is great for booting into windows. After that there is really not much gain as far as speed. Your reads area bit faster, but the writes are really marginal.

The only benefit I have truly seen is the battery lasting a good hour longer than with the hard drive that was in there before.

They are not really ready for prime time yet and may never be.
                    Sager NP9170 | Core i7-3610QM | 16GB DDR3 | AMD 7970m | SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD | 500GB HD <-Ordered 6/6 - Shipped
                    Clevo W860CU
                    | Core i7-720QM | 8GB DDR3 | nVidia 280m | 500GB HD
                    << FOR SALE $500 obo

World Entrepreneurs Network

Comment

well u COULD be correct on ur analysis of longivity, but SSD's unarguably have NO moving parts to wear out. that was the point i made.
                      Sager np9262: 17" 1920x1200wuxga, E6850 Core2duo 3.0ghz 1.3ghz fsb 4mb L2 cache, 4Gb 800mhz ram, 1x nvidia geforce 8800mgtx 512mb gpu, 3x100gb hdd 7200rpm, Raid 0, vista ultimate x64 os, tv tuner, x-fi 7.1 sound card, triple fan cooler, 3Dmark06 9745

Comment

Originally posted by tenuulch View Post
                        Will Xotic be adding further hard drive options anytime soon (i.e. 5973 model)? They have the 320GB 7200rpm coming out in June. Worst case, how relatively easy is it to swap in a HD ourselves (and does it void warranty?)?

I assume most people concerned with speed/gaming use the 7200rpm? I suppose there is a decent speed difference b/t 5400 and 7200.
                        Of course, at the same time they may release a 500 Gb 5400 RPM. So again there will be no real point to buy the 7200 RPM at that price point.

Comment

Originally posted by bargegod View Post
                          well u COULD be correct on ur analysis of longivity, but SSD's unarguably have NO moving parts to wear out. that was the point i made.
                          yes definitely agreed!

from that perspective their "lifetime with wear & tear" is much superior

also 2009 may be the one for SSD upgrades! And if MLC SSD's take off we'll have to start worrying about 3Gbit SATA.
                          Last edited by kpauls; 05-27-2008, 03:54 PM.

Comment

that would be something. it'll happen. technology never goes to sleep. lol

Comment

Working...
                            X