• Welcome to XOTIC PC Forums! If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A memory question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A memory question

I have on order a ASUS M50SV-A1 laptop. It will come with 3 gig memory for ram. Will I be better off upgrading to the 4 gig ram because it is dual channel, even though I recognize that with the vista 32 that will come on the laptop will not recognize the full 4 gig? Seems somewhere I read that the dual channel mem is faster than standard.

As long as your OS doesn't recognize the RAM, it's as good as it not being there.

Comment

A few guys on another forum I frequent seem to think there is a gain from using dual channel memory instead of single channel, even with 1 gig of it floating off into cyberspace somewhere. I dont know myself. I am just trying to find out to make the right decision

Here are a coupla quotes:

You are best off to go with the 2 Dimm offering. With 4Gb the system will only recognize 3-3.5Gb of it but it will still remain in dual channel mode.

Is the 3 gigs coming in 3 sticks? If so you will see a perfomance increase and you may even see one going from 3 gigs on 3 sticks to 2 gigs on 2 sticks. You have to have identical sticks in matched pairs to run in dual channel mode.

In another thread in this forum, ******** has been having issues with his new system. He was running 2x1G and 2x512 sticks. He actually saw a small improvement pulling the 2x512's out.

Comment

I know there were some accounts on the internet that the M50Sv-A1 only came with 32 bit drivers. But the one I purchased from XoticPc came with the option of the 64 bit Vista Ultimate and 4 meg memory. I purchased these and my computer says I am operating with those specs. How hard would it be for you to upgrade to 64 bit, so you could utilize your full 4 meg?

Comment

Working...
        X