• Welcome to XOTIC PC Forums! If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Soldier needs some help here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soldier needs some help here.

Hello, i'm a soldier currently deployed to Iraq. My wife is going to order me a NP9262 in a day or two, so that I can play games while i'm out in this dirt hole lol. She is ordering me the following set up.

3.0ghz C2D cpu
    4 gigs DDR2 800
    1 8800M GTX
    200 gig 7200 RPM HD
    Windows vista 64x

I've always been a huge fan of building my own PC's, and I was wondering, I seen some posts on these forums about "Adding another 8800M GTX" and such and was wondering how it works with a laptop. Is it just like a PC where you put it in the slot, close the case and configure the Bios / install the right drivers and you're good to go. Or is it a bit more technical with a laptop?

I was just wondering about this, because it seems that would be a great way to add a lil more power to the laptop in the future without having to go out and get a brand new laptop.

Also, Newegg.com doesn't sell laptop GPU's from what I can tell. Where do you get laptop 8800M GTXs? LOL. Sorry for the newb questions.

Anywho, thanks in advance for your responses, I can't wait to get a hold of this machine. Give me something to do and help keep my mind off the normal day to day crud on my down time.

Thank you for serving in the military for our country

Laptop video card installation is very similar to desktop card installation.

Laptop video cards are only carried by certain laptop manufacturer's. You can purchase a second 8800 video card found in our accessories section on our website.

Comment

Good stuff! Thank you for the quick response. I can't wait to get a hold of this monster of a laptop!

Another question. Seems this NP9262 is running a Desktop CPU, 1333 FSB and everything!

How upgradable are the CPU's? Would a Wolfsdale 6mb cache 3.0ghz(or faster future model) CPU work on this laptop? I'm sure the Conroe one it's coming with will work great, but i'm just curious on the this laptops upgrading capabilities.

Comment

The only processors that are supported on this laptop are listed in our configuration menu

Comment

Ok cool deal. Thanks again for the response!

Comment

Whats going on troop. I just got back two weeks ago from my second tour in the combat zone. I also ordered a 9262 and I have to say im really glad I chose XoticPC to build my computer for me. I have a Q6600 with 4 GB RAM and 2 80 GB HDD in RAID0 config, and will be purchasing my second 8800GTX for my system as soon as Xotic will allow me.

These guys have great tech support and outstanding customer service. the 9262 is a great choice, for a great price. An Alienware with the same configuration was going to run me $5,000+.

Be safe on the rest of your tour, and dont lean on the doors of your guntruck.

-SGT Domokos

Comment

Haha thanks man. Ya I shopped around online for a week and looks like these guys at xotic really got some outstanding prices. XPS's and alienwares all run for 1000-2000 bucks more then same build Sagers on this site. Thats pretty amazing difference in price. I'm really glad I came accross this site!

I'm curious on why you went with the quad CPU though. I didn't think there were any games out that supported quad core. I know Supcom and a few others have great duel core support, but other then that most games only benifit from the speed of the CPU, not the cores. Or so I read.

Just curious on why you went with 2.6ghz quad core over the 3.0ghz duel core. Just future proofing your rig or are there games out now that support the quad cores?

Comment

I echo everyone's sentiments and thanks to you for your service and to stay safe, get home when your current tour is over so you can enjoy your lappy!

I went w/ the QuadCore on mine as a 'future ready' thing. No, games right now don't utilize QuadCore..but I will be using my Sager of NO LESS than three years (more actually, as it's flat out loaded ) and by then, who knows???

So that was the reasoning behind my choice, but others will certainly have very valid reasons for choosing different...

Again, THANK YOU for keeping us safe and free.

later,
                pat!
                Sager 9262 by XoticPC-17" WUXGA 1920x1200; Core 2 Quad Q6700, 8 MB Cache, 2.66; 4 GB RAM; 2x GeForce 8800mGTX SLi; Raid 5; 3-200 GB HD, 7200 RPM, 16 MB; Vista Ultimate; 2.0 cam; TV Tuner; Built in Creative Sound+X-Fi 7.1 Card; Painted/personalized!

Comment

Originally posted by pad11
                  I coin this the most misused and misunderstood statement by Americans today, but yea. thanks for serving (too bad it couldn't be for a more just cause at the moment :wink: ).
                  Sager NP5792

Microsoft Windows Vista Premium 64-Bit
                  17" WUXGA
                  Intel Core 2 Duo T7700 2.4GHz
                  4 GB DDR2 667 RAM
                  1 GB Intel Robson Turbo Memory
                  500 GB 7200RPM Seagate Momentus HD
                  nVidia GeForce 8800M GTX 512MB GDDR3

FORUM TROLL 4 LIFE
                  http://teamamerimixwcg.blogspot.com/...online_05.html

Comment

Originally posted by OregonCoastGamer
                    I coin this the most misused and misunderstood statement by Americans today, but yea. thanks for serving (too bad it couldn't be for a more just cause at the moment :wink: ).
                    I respectfully disagree

But now, back to your original topic!

The choice between duo core and quad core is indeed a conundrum...either way, you'll probably be okay!

pat!
                    Sager 9262 by XoticPC-17" WUXGA 1920x1200; Core 2 Quad Q6700, 8 MB Cache, 2.66; 4 GB RAM; 2x GeForce 8800mGTX SLi; Raid 5; 3-200 GB HD, 7200 RPM, 16 MB; Vista Ultimate; 2.0 cam; TV Tuner; Built in Creative Sound+X-Fi 7.1 Card; Painted/personalized!

Comment

I really would push towards the dual processor considering the advances of technology from a different perspective. By the time games really take advantage of quad core processing, you may well be in the market for a new laptop. If you want the biggest bang for your buck at the moment (and most likely the next few years) in gaming, then a dual processor may be the way to go. Five years from now, the quad core may become the more efficient processor in gaming, but by then your processor will be dated. Unless the next few mobile GPU and CPU series are compatible with the NP9262 motherboard, then I would personally choose a dual processor over a quad at the current time. Then again I can't accurately predict the future, but by the time quad cores are refined and used to their full potential, you will probably have 6-8 core processors to choose from too :lol: . If all else fails, I suggest flipping a coin :wink: .
                      Sager NP5792

Microsoft Windows Vista Premium 64-Bit
                      17" WUXGA
                      Intel Core 2 Duo T7700 2.4GHz
                      4 GB DDR2 667 RAM
                      1 GB Intel Robson Turbo Memory
                      500 GB 7200RPM Seagate Momentus HD
                      nVidia GeForce 8800M GTX 512MB GDDR3

FORUM TROLL 4 LIFE
                      http://teamamerimixwcg.blogspot.com/...online_05.html

Comment

. If all else fails, I suggest flipping a coin :wink: .
                        THAT is beautiful!

Comment

I respectfully disagree

But now, back to your original topic!

The choice between duo core and quad core is indeed a conundrum...either way, you'll probably be okay!

pat!
                          Haha, well I think we did a good thing getting Sadam out of here. That imo was a just cause. Hell we had an iraqi who worked with us at our last base and most of his family was killed off by Sadam's goon squads. You better believe he thought us being there was a "just cause" .

What we're still doing here, is anyone's guess. I sure as hell don't know lol. Personaly I wish I was home having a bbq and spending time with my wife. 15 months away from your wife/kids/family is outragous to say the least, and I got friends that are on their 3rd and 4th tours atm. I laugh when people get upset when their husbands have to go out of town for a 2 week business trip. LOL try 50-60 weeks straight!

Anywho, enough RL drama ranting from me.

About the duelcore/quad core thing. I went with the duelcore. Like I thought, and was confermed by another poster, no games benifit from from the quad core atm, hell most games don't even benifit from 2 cores. so in the end 3.0ghz > 2.6ghz. And like what was said by the other poster, by the time games support quad core CPU's, I'd guess the 2.6ghz Q6600 will be weak in contrast to newer quad+ core CPU's that are out.

P.S. , i'm getting to go home on RnR leave in about 18 days, hopefully the laptop will have come in by then, and I plan to bring it back with me to iraq for the last few months of this tour to play games on my down time. Probably be more entertaining then what I currently get to do. Thats the main reason I want a hardcore laptop, because my job always has me all over the place and it would be nice to be able to bring my gaming addiction with me where ever I go.

Comment

Re: Soldier needs some help here.

Originally posted by Sanosukeafo
                            Hello, i'm a soldier currently deployed to Iraq. My wife is going to order me a NP9262 in a day or two, so that I can play games while i'm out in this dirt hole lol. She is ordering me the following set up.

3.0ghz C2D cpu
                            4 gigs DDR2 800
                            1 8800M GTX
                            200 gig 7200 RPM HD
                            Windows vista 64x

=========Clipped for brevity==============

Anywho, thanks in advance for your responses, I can't wait to get a hold of this machine. Give me something to do and help keep my mind off the normal day to day crud on my down time.

Two things, well three actually. One, I can't answer your questions due to ignorance on my part. Two, THANK YOU for your service to the country. Three, I'd appreciate it if you email me from time to time to let know how the NP9262 stands up to the heat and possible hard knocks in Iraq. I have an NP9261 that I use mainly for video editing. I'm courting the idea of using it in location that might not be fully air conditioned so a bit more warm than its usual location. But if it can stand up to use in Iraq and the demands of a soldier, I imagine I can have faith it will stand up to what I'm thinking of doing with it. [email protected]---
                            ---Those are my principles. if you don't like them, I have others.--- {Groucho Marx}

Comment

Right on. I'll write back here about how it stands up iraq weather when I finish up this tour. I go on RnR next week, and i'll be bringing the laptop back with me. So it will be tested from mid may till the end of july.

It just got to my house a few days ago, my wife says it's a beast lol. I can't wait to see how big this laptop is, I'm guessing the pictures don't do it justice lol.

Anywho, We'll see how this laptop stands up to 130 degree heat and Iraqi moondust. If it doesn't die in those 3 months I'll certify it as "Indestructible"

Comment

Working...
                              X