• Welcome to XOTIC PC Forums! If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Considering getting a Sager NP2092 (First laptop)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Considering getting a Sager NP2092 (First laptop)

I'm considering replacing my multimedia desktop PC (since it desperately needs to be rebuilt) with a Laptop. :o To do this I am looking at the Sager NP2092 (I'm trying to do this on a limited budget). After doing the customization (the things I recognized that is...I know nothing about Laptops) I think the Sager NP2092 may suit my needs. I will be running a game or two like Riven, Myst, etc; maybe MoH or something and displaying on my regular TV from time to time. I will also be running music through it into my stereo system, running streaming video on the Internet and displaying it on my TV and all other forms of multimedia fun. However, I already have two questions:

1). In customizing it here, it already comes with the maxed out video card it can handle. I'm also choosing a 100GB 7200rpm HD and just sticking with the 2GB of ram it comes with. What I am wondering is if I will ever need to upgrade the video card or anything that is already maxed on this model? I know I can upgrade the HD and RAM so those are not a concern.

2). I'm wondering if the sound device it comes with will suit my somewhat audiophile like ear?

Almost forgot, I'm doing this all on Win XP. I will never convert to Vista (if this makes any difference on my choice so far).

I'm also curious if anyone here owns one of these lovelies yet? I'd welcome opinions on the Sager NP2092.
    As I said, I'm considering jumping into the Laptop world for the first time, so I want to make sure of my purchase the first time as I can't afford to buy more than one. :?

Thank you everybody.

1). In customizing it here, it already comes with the maxed out video card it can handle. I'm also choosing a 100GB 7200rpm HD and just sticking with the 2GB of ram it comes with. What I am wondering is if I will ever need to upgrade the video card or anything that is already maxed on this model? I know I can upgrade the HD and RAM so those are not a concern.
    The 512MB PCI-Express nVidia GeForce 8600GT DX10 is the highest performance video card that can be installed and supported by this laptop

2). I'm wondering if the sound device it comes with will suit my somewhat audiophile like ear?
    The 2 built-in speakers are not amazing if comparing to external speakers but will produce enough sound for your listening enjoyment.

The Sager np2092 was originally the np2090. The main difference between these two is the support of the penryn processor on the 2092. This laptop has been around for a long time and at one point was our most popular and best seller. The Sager np5793 has since taking it's spot!

Comment

Thanks.
      In looking at the video card, from what I can tell. I am making somewhat of an assumption that it should be able to handle what I throw at it with the game settings at relatively high levels and decent frame rate (smooth) vide for the other stuff.

Yes, I will be using external speakers 99% of the time. I was noticing that the sound device it comes with is able to handle surround (even 7.1 at that), so it should be good considering I still run old school surround!

Comment

The 8600GT can run games at relatively high settings on lower resolutions, but don't expect too much for the future. If you don't mind medium settings, then you will be fine. You are saving a lot of money by sticking to a mid-range laptop, which I assume was your perogative :wink: .
        Sager NP5792

Microsoft Windows Vista Premium 64-Bit
        17" WUXGA
        Intel Core 2 Duo T7700 2.4GHz
        4 GB DDR2 667 RAM
        1 GB Intel Robson Turbo Memory
        500 GB 7200RPM Seagate Momentus HD
        nVidia GeForce 8800M GTX 512MB GDDR3

FORUM TROLL 4 LIFE
        http://teamamerimixwcg.blogspot.com/...online_05.html

Comment

"The 8600GT can run games at relatively high settings on lower resolutions, but don't expect too much for the future. If you don't mind medium settings, then you will be fine. You are saving a lot of money by sticking to a mid-range laptop, which I assume was your perogative."

I normally run games in the 800x600 range so I can have the settings higher anyway. (Of course that's because I've never had a great video card in my systems).

As for saving money, it's all about what I can afford actually. The NP2092 is about $250 over my max right now so I am saving up the difference. Though I know next to nothing about lappys, the NP2092 looks like a pretty good lappy for the money and I am liking all the pre-support and information I am getting with Xoticpc. For the similar configuration with a Toshiba which I was looking at first it would cost me around $1500.00. Plus there would be a ton of bloatware that would probably render the thing useless not to mention being forced to take Vista. I decided I am not looking for a $1500 paperweight. Someone from Newegg turned me on to Xoticpc and I am grateful.[/quote]

Comment

I think you will be very satisfied with your laptop and Xotic PC (I sure was 8)! ). I look forward to hearing more about your laptop when you recieve it, that is if you can ever break away from it long enough to post a response :wink: .

PS- There is a quote function on the forums by the way, so you don't need to write yourself. Just a time saver .
            Sager NP5792

Microsoft Windows Vista Premium 64-Bit
            17" WUXGA
            Intel Core 2 Duo T7700 2.4GHz
            4 GB DDR2 667 RAM
            1 GB Intel Robson Turbo Memory
            500 GB 7200RPM Seagate Momentus HD
            nVidia GeForce 8800M GTX 512MB GDDR3

FORUM TROLL 4 LIFE
            http://teamamerimixwcg.blogspot.com/...online_05.html

Comment

Originally posted by OregonCoastGamer
              I think you will be very satisfied with your laptop and Xotic PC (I sure was 8)! ). I look forward to hearing more about your laptop when you recieve it, that is if you can ever break away from it long enough to post a response :wink: .

PS- There is a quote function on the forums by the way, so you don't need to write yourself. Just a time saver .
              Yes, I will be writing something up when I get my lappy.
              I just figured out the quote function. Thanks for pointing that out to me so I can save myself some chatting gymnastics. :wink:

Comment

Working...
              X