• Welcome to XOTIC PC Forums! If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Two more questions regarding wireless and dock on the NP2092

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two more questions regarding wireless and dock on the NP2092

I am wondering if you can turn the wireless part of the NP2092 on and off at will? I ask because I am concerned about stuff happening like automatic downloads and what not while I am not physically connected to the internet through my wired set up. I don't have a wireless router, but I wonder if there might be one close enough in my area or something that the laptop may pick up on?
    I know the NP 5793 has that ability and it's a lovely "lappy", but I can't afford that one. (I'm guessing "lappy" is the popular term for laptops)

I'm also wondering about those docking thingys" (I forgot the correct name for them).
    I'd like to know:
    1) Are they better to have if one is going to use an external monitor a lot of the time along with external keyboard and mouse instead of plugging all that stuff directly into the ports on the lappy?

2) Does one have to use one specificly made for the exact model of the lappy one gets or can one shop around for one?

Thank you for putting up with my newbie clueless questions :oops:

I am wondering if you can turn the wireless part of the NP2092 on and off at will?
    Yes you can

1) Are they better to have if one is going to use an external monitor a lot of the time along with external keyboard and mouse instead of plugging all that stuff directly into the ports on the lappy?
    It depends if you would like to plug all your devices in each time or if you would rather just plug one cable into the laptop.

2) Does one have to use one specifically made for the exact model of the lappy one gets or can one shop around for one?
    A generic docking station should also work for your needs.

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected]
      I am wondering if you can turn the wireless part of the NP2092 on and off at will?
      Yes you can

It depends if you would like to plug all your devices in each time or if you would rather just plug one cable into the laptop.

2) Does one have to use one specifically made for the exact model of the lappy one gets or can one shop around for one?
      A generic docking station should also work for your needs.
      Thanks so much Justin. That was very valuable info! I think I should budget a little extra for a docking station of some type. The thought of pluging and unpluging numerous devices gives me visions of future problems. I'd rather have one cable.

Comment

I'm getting kind of tired of that myself. Anybody have any suggestions on what's a decent docking station? I've looked around and the choices seem virtually endless. :?
        Proud Mom of a:
        SAGER NP9262
        Intel Core 2 QUAD Q6700 2.66GHz
        nVidia GeForce 8800GTX 512MB x2 SLi config
        4,096MB DDR2 800
        RAIDed 3x200MB SATA2 7200RPM HDDs
        8x8x6x4x DVD +/-R/RW 5x DVD-RAM 24x CD-R/RW
        Vista Ultimate 64-bit & RH Linux ES 5 dual boot

Comment

I personally use an external hard drive and that's it... but if you want to look for a "usb port replicator" that seems to hit all the major brands.

Unfortunately I'm not really satisfied with any of the offerings... something that could house a 2.5" or 3.5" hard drive, serve as a USB hub, and include seial / parallel / keyboard / mouse.

There are dozens of not quite satisfying devices out there... so I haven't bothered.

Comment

Hmm, I think I better stick with same name dock station

I went around looking at generic docking stations for my Sager 9092 I'll be ordering end of May I hope. I was hoping to find a better price at least and discovered that 99% of the generic docking stations out there are crap!
            Sure, I found a couple for about $89, but all the reviews where bad. I also saw nothing but bad reviews on all the generic docking stations I found. Some of them were talking about syncing problems and such. So while $139 is rather steep for me I think I'm better off getting the docking station offered with the lappy I will get unless and until a better solution presents itself.

Comment

Working...
            X