• Welcome to XOTIC PC Forums! If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

5793 questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5793 questions

Hey!
    So i ordered a 5793 a few days ago and i had a few questions for anyone that has had hands on one =)

Ive read all the reviews i could get my hands on and while bench mark scores and frame rates are handy, I find it better when people tell me how the games they play really run on their systems. I play a lot of COD 4 right now. What kind of settings can i expect to play this game on and get good FPS while still maintaining a good amount of eye candy? With the specs i have below, what kinda life am i looking at for this laptop as far as a gaming system goes? Ive always had desktops, and ive always used "last years" tech so ive never really been up to speed when it comes to hardware so im not sure what to expect with this system. (current desktop is a 3.0 core duo with 1gig of ram and a 7600 nvidia gfx card.)

Also, I ordered vista ultimate with this system. I forgot to ask my sales person if this is a OEM copy or a retail copy. It doesnt really matter either way, but i was just curious.

Another thing i was curious about..How durable is this laptop? im currently on leave from my deploment to iraq. I got this laptop to take back with me and i want to make sure it can handle the conditions ill be in. Main issues are sand and dust. it will be in air conditioning and it wont be moved often.

And last but not least, any recomendations on a good lapdesk/laptop cooler? im looking for something that will let me relax in my bunk and help keep the laptop cool at the same time. Preferably with some where to sit my mouse as well.

Thanks in advance, appreciate the help =)

Sager NP5793 Custom Sager Notebook (Built on Clevo M570RU-U / M571RU-U)
    - 17" WUXGA "Glare Type" Super Clear Ultra Bright Glossy Screen (1920x1200)
    - Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound
    - Standard Dead Pixel Policy
    - ~Intel® T9300 45nm "Penryn" Core™2 Duo 2.5GHz w/6MB L2 On-die cache - 800MHz FSB
    - 512MB PCI-Express nVidia GeForce 8800M GTX DX10 (User Upgradeable)
    - ~ SPECIAL~ 4,096MB DDR2 667 PC2 5300 (2 SODIMMS) Dual Channel Memory (Requires Vista 64-Bit to recognize Full 4GB) $75 OFF When Purchased with 8800M GTX
    - NP5792/5793 Orange Frame Trim Color
    - ~Combo 8x8x6x4x Dual Layer DVD +/-R/RW 5x DVD-RAM 24x CD-R/RW Drive w/Softwares
    - ~ 100GB 7200RPM (Serial-ATA 150)
    - Internal 7-in-1 Card Reader (MS/MS Pro/MS Duo/MS Pro Duo/SD/Mini-SD/MMC/RS)
    - Internal Bluetooth 2.0+ EDR
    - Built-in Intel® PRO/Wireless 4965 802.11 a/g/n
    - Built in 2.0 Megapixel Camera
    - Sound Blaster Compatible 3D Audio - Included
    - Basic Black Business Case - Included
    - Smart Li-ion Battery (8-Cell)
    - Full Range Auto Switching AC Adapter - Included
    - Integrated Fingerprint Reader
    - ~Windows Vista Ultimate 64-Bit Installed (64&32-Bit CD Included) w/ Drivers & Utilities CD's

Welcome to the XoticPC forums!
    I will answer whatever I can.
    First of all, the 8800M GTX is the top of the line GPU in notebooks at present. It can run all games on the market maxed out, with the exception of Crysis (high, not very high). This system should surpass your desktop in gaming by miles!
    The Vista copy provided is OEM. All resellers provide the same. Retail copies are more expensive, just for their boxing, and are meant for systems already purchased. You will be provided 2 genuine windows Vista discs, one 32-bit and the other 64-bit.
    The laptop is a rebranded Clevo and is known so far for very good build quality. It is surely durable. And the keyboard is known to be very sturdy with zero flex.
    If you're going to be in an environment that you mentioned, you ought to take good care of it! Covering it at all times should help.
    There's no specific laptop cooler I could recommend. But the Zalman series coolers are popular.

-Prasad.

Comment

You are going to get sand and dust in your machine- there is no way around that, however, the fans do blow through heat sinks and not directly on the components so dust collection wont be as bad as some machines. One great thing about the 5793 is that you can remove a panel which covers the entire bottom (minus battery and optical drive) which gives you access to all the components to upgrade and/or in your case, clean out the internals with a compressed duster (don't lose the screws). Warning: DO NOT spray directly into the fans as this may cause them to spin faster than they are designed for and will damage the motors and lower their life expectancy. Clean the fans with a lightly damp rag, however avoid getting circuitry wet. Hold the fans in place while you spray dust and debris out of the heat sinks which is very important because clogged sinks will lower cooling efficiency which will cause your lappy to overheat.
      I hope you and your machine survive Iraq and come back in good condition!
      I am deploying to Afghanistan in June with my 5793 and even though there is not a sand problem where we're going I do fear for my baby's survival. Consider getting a Pelican 1495 case...
      Sager NP5793
      Vista HP x64
      17" WUXGA
      Core 2 Duo T9300 2.5Ghz 6Mb L2 Cache
      4 GB DDR2 667Mhz RAM
      UJ-220 Blu-Ray Super Multi DVD
      200 GB HD 7200RPM
      Nvidia GeForce 8800M GTX
      TV Tuner Card

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. Definately good to know about the bottom being easy to remove for cleaning. As far as pelican cases go...i think i have the NSN's for them laying about back in the shop...might have to order a few for all that commo equipment i got laying around.... =)

Cant wait to get this system, picking up rainbow six vegas 2 today in anticipation hehe. Thanks again for the info.

Comment

Check out this site for a keyboard cover:
          http://www.protectcovers.com/laptop.htm

You will not be disappointed with COD4 on this laptop. I don't see too much out yet that is taking advantage of DX10, so I think this laptop will be viable for a few years.

I got mine with the matte screen, and love it. I had a glossy screen on my previous laptop and the reflections drove me nuts.

I only have a couple issues with it so far.
          1) Keyboard section by the number pad is laid out weird. I think they could have done a better job of getting it closer to a standard keyboard.
          2) Large file transfers over wireless get disconnected. I am still researching this and it all points to vista drivers. (i'm using ultimate 64)

I think you'll be very happy with the laptop.

Comment

Working...
          X