• Welcome to XOTIC PC Forums! If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Non-Volitile Cache & SD Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-Volitile Cache & SD Card

I was showing off my 5793 to a friend and he noticed I have Vista and a Card Reader slot that I don't plan to ever really use. He says I should go grab up a Memory Card for say.. a camera and stick it in there but leave it there. When Vista asks what to do with it, say use it all for a ReadyBoost cache.... mmmm speedy goodness.

But before I go buy up a memory card... does an SD class definitely fit in this reader slot? Or can someone recommend a faster format of storage card perhaps?
    System:||SagerNP5793||T9300,2.5ghz.C2D||1920x1200, 512mb.nVidiaQuadro:FX1600M||
    Memory:||4,096mbDDR2667mhz||1gb Robson Turbo||200gb,7200,SATAii.16mb||2gb,SD.cache||

if you opt'ed for the turbo memory, that is what readyboot is. also with the turbo memory it is closer (therefore faster) to the processor. if you have turbo mem than you don't need the sd card. if not I would suggest a ultra III card, they seem to have the fastest responce times.
    Sager NP5792
    Alienware M11x-R1
    WUXGA Glossy
    11.6" WXVGA Glossy
    2.4GHz Core 2 Duo
    1.3GHz CULV Core 2 Duo OCed to 1.76GHz
    GeForce 8800GTX
    GeForce GT 335m
    4,096 DDR2 667 Memory
    4,096 DDR3 800 Memory
    200 Gb 7200 RPM SATA 150
    128 Gb GSkill Falcon SSD
    64 bit Vista Home Premium
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium

Comment

So is it possible to use the card reader and just pop an sd card in and use ready boost that way? I went with the tvtuner and figured since that was where the robson memory was supposed to go I was loosing this feature.

Thanks

Comment

Ok so now I've got a 2gb Panasonic Class-6 SD card capable of 20mb/s writing/reading. Vista apparently needs 3.5mb/s read and 2.5mb/s write ability or the other way around?... Not really sure but anyway, this beastly SD card I got at FutureShop for $50.

The 5793's card reader slot isn't really all that deep. Like going swimming in a 3 foot deep pool, just not the same. So the SD card hangs out of it about 3/8" or 1cm for you metric folks. Not really pleased about this as I'm my dreams I imagined an SD card slot like on the camera that you gave it a little push and it clicked in, flush with the bezel of the computer. Nope, it sticks out, gotta take it out whenever Lappy goes in the carrying bag. Then again it makes sense that it sticks out as it does so you can yank it out easily.

I assigned it as a ReadyBoost drive, 1810mb as Vista suggested. I had to disable another NVcache that was present in the 500mb range so this would work. This other cache was full and lappy was bitching at me constantly that it had no room left. You can only have 1 Non-volatile cache at a time I guess, even if you have the Robson Turbo Memory.

So the little SD card now runs as a ReadyBoost drive with 1.81gb of space. I don't know if it's faster... I think it's faster but I'm willing to bet it's all in my head. But, afterall that where it counts the most.
        System:||SagerNP5793||T9300,2.5ghz.C2D||1920x1200, 512mb.nVidiaQuadro:FX1600M||
        Memory:||4,096mbDDR2667mhz||1gb Robson Turbo||200gb,7200,SATAii.16mb||2gb,SD.cache||

Comment

I have the Intel Robson installed and tried using the Crucial Gizmo Jr 2GB flash drive which is readyboost capable. I disabled the readyboost on the Robson turbo in favor of the readyboost on the Gizmo. I haven't noticed any difference speed wise so I went back to just using the Robson for both readydrive and readyboost. I suppose it depends on how much cache is used up by the readyboost. I have found it to be a good idea to clear this cache from time to time anyway as it helps improve performance. However, your mileage may vary. Hope this helps.
          Sager NP2092 T9300 4GB 320GB Vista x64

Comment

i connected a 4gb optima attache 2.0 flash drive and played some games and ran some applications. i honestly didnt see crapola on the performance increase...but then again i also hv stock 4gb of 800mhz ram running too, so THAT ram might hv never fully peaked out needing more help. who knows. im sure people with like say 2gb or less could easily take full advantafe of the readyboost easily then. its a cool application though. laterz............
            Sager np9262: 17" 1920x1200wuxga, E6850 Core2duo 3.0ghz 1.3ghz fsb 4mb L2 cache, 4Gb 800mhz ram, 1x nvidia geforce 8800mgtx 512mb gpu, 3x100gb hdd 7200rpm, Raid 0, vista ultimate x64 os, tv tuner, x-fi 7.1 sound card, triple fan cooler, 3Dmark06 9745

Comment

I use a 1GB mini-SD in an SD adapter that I used in my old phone, and I can tell that with readyboost activated my most commonly used programs do pop up just a bit faster, like Firefox, Azureus, PerfectDisk, Alchohol, VLC, etc. All in all its a matter of saving maybe 1-2 sec when loading a bit more intense program like Azureus with a large queue; and shaving about 5 seconds off boot time, but you wont see much faster results with the intel turbo memory cause its just a cheap $25 flash memory card that people whom can't afford to add more Ram can throw in and see a bit faster computing. Overall, if you got 4 gigs of ram like I do, readyboost is pretty much trivial, the only reason I use it is because I had the spare SD laying around and I don't use my card reader (my new phone has micro SD so i got the SanDisk microSD mini USB adapter on my keyring for file sharing, very nice: i highly recommend)
              Sager NP5793
              Vista HP x64
              17" WUXGA
              Core 2 Duo T9300 2.5Ghz 6Mb L2 Cache
              4 GB DDR2 667Mhz RAM
              UJ-220 Blu-Ray Super Multi DVD
              200 GB HD 7200RPM
              Nvidia GeForce 8800M GTX
              TV Tuner Card

Comment

Originally posted by 301657
                So is it possible to use the card reader and just pop an sd card in and use ready boost that way? I went with the tvtuner and figured since that was where the robson memory was supposed to go I was loosing this feature.

Thanks
                Readyboost will work with any media card, SD, CF, MMS, etc. as well as usb thumb drives and external HDs, but they must meet a minimum size and speed rating, at least 3.5 MB/s, and I'm not sure of size but I know my 256MB USB drive was too small.
                Sager NP5793
                Vista HP x64
                17" WUXGA
                Core 2 Duo T9300 2.5Ghz 6Mb L2 Cache
                4 GB DDR2 667Mhz RAM
                UJ-220 Blu-Ray Super Multi DVD
                200 GB HD 7200RPM
                Nvidia GeForce 8800M GTX
                TV Tuner Card

Comment

Working...
                X