• Welcome to XOTIC PC Forums! If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Laptop for my wife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop for my wife

Hi all,

I want to buy a laptop for my wife. I'm new to the lapop market and will likely buy a Sager NP9262 for myself as my wife and I are moving from Canada to New Zealand. Because we need to be mobile on this very far away trip, she will need a laptop as well. She doesnt game.....at all! She will be doing a lot of internet browsing, movie watching, web site updating, some picture editing with photoshop (but for web site uploads only). And she'll take some university courses as well. Can anyone suggest a decent laptop for her meeting these needs? I can afford to not pay for a complete piece of crap, but obviously I dont need to buy her the porsche of laptops. Just something solid and reliable.

If you;ve read this far, would love to hear impressions on the Sager 9262. Ive done tons of research and I cant find anything negative about this laptop. I just cant find out if Sager or Xotic will cover the laptop while Im in New Zealand. Anyone know?

Thanks!

You may want to look into the asus laptops. they arn't the "porsches" of laptops, but they can be a decent machine and most have a "global warranty" which will work well for both Canada and New Zealand
    Sager NP5792
    Alienware M11x-R1
    WUXGA Glossy
    11.6" WXVGA Glossy
    2.4GHz Core 2 Duo
    1.3GHz CULV Core 2 Duo OCed to 1.76GHz
    GeForce 8800GTX
    GeForce GT 335m
    4,096 DDR2 667 Memory
    4,096 DDR3 800 Memory
    200 Gb 7200 RPM SATA 150
    128 Gb GSkill Falcon SSD
    64 bit Vista Home Premium
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks for the reply! Do you know if I am covered in NZ with the Sager laptop? I think Sager makes me pay for shipping & handling both ways if I have any problems. I dont know what Xotic's warranty policy is though.

Comment

I believe you are correct. They will cover your machine no matter where you are, Its just a matter of who pays shipping. You can use the Warrenty Information portion of this site to see which warrenty best fits your specific needs

http://www.xoticpc.com/warranty-serv...urns-ip-6.html

Happy lappy hunting!
        Sager NP5792
        Alienware M11x-R1
        WUXGA Glossy
        11.6" WXVGA Glossy
        2.4GHz Core 2 Duo
        1.3GHz CULV Core 2 Duo OCed to 1.76GHz
        GeForce 8800GTX
        GeForce GT 335m
        4,096 DDR2 667 Memory
        4,096 DDR3 800 Memory
        200 Gb 7200 RPM SATA 150
        128 Gb GSkill Falcon SSD
        64 bit Vista Home Premium
        Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium

Comment

i LOVE mine! it is quite heavy with all the extras. i bring mine bk and forth to work. it is very rugged. i would never recommend anything else in the world(at the moment) other than this bad boy. laterz........
          Sager np9262: 17" 1920x1200wuxga, E6850 Core2duo 3.0ghz 1.3ghz fsb 4mb L2 cache, 4Gb 800mhz ram, 1x nvidia geforce 8800mgtx 512mb gpu, 3x100gb hdd 7200rpm, Raid 0, vista ultimate x64 os, tv tuner, x-fi 7.1 sound card, triple fan cooler, 3Dmark06 9745

Comment

After hanging around the XoticPC forums I went from lusting for a Sager NP5793 to lusting for a Sager NP9262. At least I am going in the right direction. Although I am mostly going after the gaming aspects with this, my wife does use photo editing software extensively, notice the avatar (night heron.) Since the 9262 should rip through silkypix development in mere seconds, compared to the throw away computer we use now, it is a good reason (excuse) to get the more powerful desktop replacement. We will be doing her web site with the new rig as well as the old. This could be a great excuse to become a two 9262 family. Nothing beats a desktop CPU for intensive processing. Just remember do not expect to use this rig without being plugged into the grid. The battery is to be used more like a battery backup for a desktop rig.
            The Sager NP9262 is a true desktop replacement.
            Sometimes living on a boat is like living in a cave.

Comment

lol, u got THAT right. so when are u gonna get the 1st one?
              Sager np9262: 17" 1920x1200wuxga, E6850 Core2duo 3.0ghz 1.3ghz fsb 4mb L2 cache, 4Gb 800mhz ram, 1x nvidia geforce 8800mgtx 512mb gpu, 3x100gb hdd 7200rpm, Raid 0, vista ultimate x64 os, tv tuner, x-fi 7.1 sound card, triple fan cooler, 3Dmark06 9745

Comment

The NP9262 will rip through any GFX editing you can throw at it in Photoshop. I do a lot of editing, with huge multi-layered files, and no probs. However, it sucks on battery life, so not a good choice for school, or any other application that requires you to be mobile.
                Proud Mom of a:
                SAGER NP9262
                Intel Core 2 QUAD Q6700 2.66GHz
                nVidia GeForce 8800GTX 512MB x2 SLi config
                4,096MB DDR2 800
                RAIDed 3x200MB SATA2 7200RPM HDDs
                8x8x6x4x DVD +/-R/RW 5x DVD-RAM 24x CD-R/RW
                Vista Ultimate 64-bit & RH Linux ES 5 dual boot

Comment

Working...
                X