• Welcome to XOTIC PC Forums! If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TV Tuner Cards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TV Tuner Cards

Does anyone have the Tuner card installed for a 926x series? How does it work? You just connect your tv cable to the notebook and you can record and watch tv? Support for High def?

I have the MPC788 internal tuner. The lappy came with Cyberlink Powercinema software which works 'OK' for my use. It's a slimmed down version of their full suite and does not offer some of the audio out features a true 'mediaphile' would want.

The tuner features Analog and Digital. I assume the digital supports HD, but have not been able to test it. The analog tuner looks as you would expect - as good as the signal coming to it.

This came with a Ir Remote control that talks with the proprietary Ir receiver on the front of the lappy to the left of the audio jacks. I tried using this remote a little while, but was disappointed with the feel and available options of the included driver/software. I already had a ATI Remote Wonder RF remote, and I have since switched back to that one full time.

It was just as easy as connecting the cable/antenna, doing a scan for available channels, and then watch tv. You can skip the scan of course and hit the channels manually. Recording TV was pretty painless. Just remember the more you have going on, the slower everything gets. I was in the middle of playing ET:QW (moderately powered FPS game) when a scheduled record started (I forgot about it) My game went to hell, but the recording looked fine after the fact. So the software did some decent priority snatching.

Hope this helps. I'd be happy to answer any other Q's you may have.
    Would you like a Jelly Baby?
    - Sager NP9261 - Q6600 - 2GB - 2x 512MB 7950GTX SLI - 3x 160 SATA-300 RAID 5 -
    - MPC788 Tuner - Gateway XHD3000 - Logitech Z5500 - G15 - G5 - Fang Gamepad -

Comment

Thanks for the response =)

So the Powercinema software is what you actually use to tune the channels and view the signal?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Vista has built in software for this?

Comment

i think so, but windows media center has to be opened up to use the tv tuner and all, at least thats the only way i know how to do it...
        Sager np9262: 17" 1920x1200wuxga, E6850 Core2duo 3.0ghz 1.3ghz fsb 4mb L2 cache, 4Gb 800mhz ram, 1x nvidia geforce 8800mgtx 512mb gpu, 3x100gb hdd 7200rpm, Raid 0, vista ultimate x64 os, tv tuner, x-fi 7.1 sound card, triple fan cooler, 3Dmark06 9745

Comment

Originally posted by canucklehead View Post
          Thanks for the response =)

So the Powercinema software is what you actually use to tune the channels and view the signal?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Vista has built in software for this?
          Yeah, I am using XP Pro still, so I don't use the media center. I am sure there is other software out there that you can use. Not sure which one would work best - I am guessing bargegod can answer that one best.
          Would you like a Jelly Baby?
          - Sager NP9261 - Q6600 - 2GB - 2x 512MB 7950GTX SLI - 3x 160 SATA-300 RAID 5 -
          - MPC788 Tuner - Gateway XHD3000 - Logitech Z5500 - G15 - G5 - Fang Gamepad -

Comment

yeah, with xp youd use power cinema and vista is media center. thats whats worked for me in the past.
            Sager np9262: 17" 1920x1200wuxga, E6850 Core2duo 3.0ghz 1.3ghz fsb 4mb L2 cache, 4Gb 800mhz ram, 1x nvidia geforce 8800mgtx 512mb gpu, 3x100gb hdd 7200rpm, Raid 0, vista ultimate x64 os, tv tuner, x-fi 7.1 sound card, triple fan cooler, 3Dmark06 9745

Comment

Working...
            X