• Welcome to XOTIC PC Forums! If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

question about "160GB Seagate Momentus 3GB/S SATA 300&q

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question about "160GB Seagate Momentus 3GB/S SATA 300&q

I notice you provide this hard drive for upgrade but Seagate makes two versions of this HDD, one with G-Force Protection (ST9160823ASG) and one without (ST9160823AS). Which one do you install in your laptops?

Sorry for the late reply, :oops:

I wanted to confirm what we utilize for the 160GB Seagate. It is the one WITHOUT G-Force.
    Justin Nolte
    [email protected]
    http://www.xoticpc.com

Comment

That's a bit disappointing...

Thanks anyway.

Comment

This is very disappointing! It's why I spent the xtra $ for the Seagate. I looked up the drive on a Seagate site and didn't at all notice there were G and non-G versions. This 2090 will be goingaway to college with my son and I wanted xtra protection. I don't need GB as much becasue I'm getting him a 500GB external.

Is there any reason other than more GB to get the Seagate? SATA3?
        What brand are the 100GB? I don't believe my 2090 has shipped. If there's a performance goodnss to Seagate I won't bother. Would I save $75 if I went with the 100GB?

Comment

These drives are SATA 3GB's. They only do not offer G-Force. The 100GB are also Seagate Hard Drives. The 100GB is SATA 150. I recommend going with the 160GB 7200.
          Justin Nolte
          [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected]
            These drives are SATA 3GB's. They only do not offer G-Force. The 100GB are also Seagate Hard Drives. The 100GB is SATA 150. I recommend going with the 160GB 7200.
            OK, but you might consider offering the Gforce one. Just one search I did shows it's only $9 more retail and around $6 more in volume of 25.

Or does the Sager 2090 have its own shock protection system? I mean active, as in the platters shutting down, not passive as in a shock absorbing mounting? I seem to remeber reading that some notebooks have this feature no matter what the drive model is.

Then again, what am I worried about. Back to school sales just started around town and I can get any one of three brands of 500GB external HDD for $130!

Anyway, so far I am very pleased I ordered from Xotic. With the ability to talk to someone like yourself it's much better than buying from a brick and mortar store where the tech help is a crap shoot ( I often know more than they do and that's not the case here :wink: ) and forget Dell. Their tech help reads from a script.

Comment

Unfortunately the IFL90 does not have any type of shock protection system. It has a solid design but does not contain this system.

Thanks for the recommendation. We will look into these drives.

Let us know if you have any other questions.
              Justin Nolte
              [email protected]

Comment

Working...
              X