• Welcome to XOTIC PC Forums! If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

mSATA help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mSATA help

I originally posted these questions over in the which laptop to buy forum, but I think since I've pretty much chosen and am just looking for some detail questions, I should come here.

My first, smaller question is regarding etching. I see you can add personalization to the bottom and would like to add my screenname, but I imagine this is usually a spot for Name/Address in case the laptop is lost. Are there pictures of examples of bottom of case etching? Font possibilities? Or how does this portion of the build work?

My main question(s) deal with the mSATA slots. I'm looking at a Sager 8235 (don't think I need the backlit keyboard upgrade to the 8255 and I don't really understand what's different for the upgrade to the 8265-s version that was recommended to me on another forum) with some of the following:

Sager NP8235 (Clevo P151SM1)
    - 15.6” FHD 16:9 LED Backlit Wide screen (1920x1080) Super Clear Matte Type Sager Screen (SKU - SSC005)
    - Sager - 4th Generation Intel® Haswell Core™ i7-4700MQ (2.4GHz - 3.4GHz, 6MB Intel® Smart Cache) (SKU – SPU201)
    - - IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU
    - NVIDIA® GeForce™ GTX 770M (3.0GB) GDDR5 PCI-Express DX11 [User Upgradeable] (SKU – GPU001)
    - COPPER COOLING UPGRADE - Extra Cooling Copper Heatsinks Applied to the Heatsink/Heatpipes (XPC Service - requires shipment to XOTIC PC: will add to build time)
    - 16GB - DDR3 1600MHz Dual Channel Memory (2 SODIMMS) (SKU - S4T824P)
    - Laptop Personalization Text Etching – [Bottom of Laptop] (Add your name to your laptop) *Adds 4-9 Business Days to Build (XPC Service)
    - Non-RAID Storage
    - 120GB Crucial M5 mSATA SSD - Preconfigured as an OS Drive ( Operating System – Drive C: )
    - NO mSATA Solid State Drive
    - 750GB 7200RPM [SATA II - 16MB Cache] (SKU - HDD099)
    - Yes, Redline Boost My Operating System (Operating System Required) (XPC Service - requires shipment to XOTIC PC: will add to build time)
    - ~Windows 8.1 - 64-Bit (64-Bit CD Included) + MS Office 2013 Trial
    I mostly need help with the mSATA SSDs. There is room for 2 of them, but I've never had a personal computer have more than one HDD. I really only play one game (DCUO - requirements here) and have been playing it on very low settings for a couple years now. I'd like to amp up my settings to max which I feel confident build above allows me to do. I've also thought about trying to video my gameplay, and that's where I get a little lost on what I need. What do others do? I don't want to put a full SSD in the HDD slot, so what should I do with the mSATA's? Put the OS on one and everything else on the HDD? OS on one and a game or two on that one? Do I need two mSATA SSD's?

Hello! To answer your first question about the etching, we can do whatever little text you want, in whatever font you send us. You would just email artwork@xoticpc.com the phrase/screen name/info you want.
    For the msata, all they are are physically small ssd's. They make programs (and the Operating System) load very fast. It is very common to use the msata slot for the OS and a couple programs and a regular hard drive as a storage drive (it will be, like, the F: drive or whatever you want to name it).

I can't really give any advice on livestreaming/dvr'ing your gameplay...but if you just google 'livestream options' you should get a good idea what you need to do . I hope that answers all your questions! Let us know if you have any other questions!
    Barry H
    barry.h@xoticpc.com
    Customer Loyalty Team
    XOTIC PC

Comment

thanks for helping...

Comment

fraps is a good program to record gameplay, it does a few other things like give you f/ps counts on games or even desktop, it's got a free and paid version and the free works really well and paid is cheap... that's the best help I can give you... you'll have to edit the videos with something else tho.. corel video studio does both but its more expensive... and yea, if you want to livestream get a program called osb... theres a link somewhere for it on twitch

Comment

Working...
        X