• Welcome to XOTIC PC Forums! If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Networking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Networking

Hello,

Can some IT guru explain to me in step by step instructions how to get my Desktop (Custom Built on ASUS MB running Win XP SP2) to network with my Laptop (G1s running Vista Home Prem)

The Laptop is WiFi, but I have a port for a LAN as well if that is easier/safer.

I have tried all types of configuration and I can't get either to "see" the other. I'm probably missing something in my Firewall.

I need to be able to sysnc my files from and to eachother.

Thanks!

I think it sounds like a firewall issue. I would review your firewall settings.
    Justin Nolte
    [email protected]
    http://www.xoticpc.com

Comment

The two pc's need to be able to "talk", so either they need to be connected w/ an ethernet cable or the desktop needs to have some sort of wireless card on it. (is your desktop plugged into your wireless router??)
      asdfjkl;

Comment

Yes, My Desktop is plugged into the WiFi roughter, and my laptop communicates to the roughter.

I know it is probably my firewall, I just don't know what those settings should be. I have tried a bunch of different settings and Sometime I can get the other computer to show in "My Network", I just can't access the shared folders - or anything else for that matter.

Comment

Do you have the computer set to share printing and files?
          asdfjkl;

Comment

Originally posted by mitcity22
            Do you have the computer set to share printing and files?
            Yes, I can now see all 3 computers in the network, I can see the printers, I can open the printer properties and click "Print Test Page", the queue loads but it never goes threw.

I can not see the shared folders of any computer, just the printers and drivers are installed.

Comment

Working...
            X