• Welcome to XOTIC PC Forums! If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

life span

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• life span

what is the the expected life span of the 9260/9261/9262?
    soon to have np9850 , q9000 , 4 gigs of ddr 3 at 1333mhz, duel NVIDIA 280m , duel 60 gig ssd's in raid 0 and 250 gig back up!!!!!!

Do you mean how long the 926x series will be available for sale or how long we expect 926x will last once a user purchases it?

If you want to know how long the 926x series will be available for sale. There are no plans of it being discontinued anytime soon.

If it is the later it would be subjective to how the machine was treated and taken care of.
    Justin Nolte
    [email protected]
    http://www.xoticpc.com

Comment

how long it will last if well taken care of?
      soon to have np9850 , q9000 , 4 gigs of ddr 3 at 1333mhz, duel NVIDIA 280m , duel 60 gig ssd's in raid 0 and 250 gig back up!!!!!!

Comment

Well taken care of means treating the laptop good. For example if you eat chips or spill liquid on the laptop that's not treating it good.

A specified time frame for a laptops life span is not determined, same thing applies to laptops as well as human beings, we do not have a set life span. Accidents or medical problems can happen at any time.

Comment

i once had a computer (desktop) that ran for 7 years and still going. my little sister has it just for school. then 2 years i bought a new custom built comp that lasted 6 months. 1st the cpu gave out then hard drive did 3 months later. you see it just depends on luck sometimes and how good you take care of it.

i have had my sager 2090 since 8/07 and it still is going strong. none thing has failed and i run my cpu at 100% 24/7 cuz for work. my cpu has been going at 100% for 3 weeks now none stop.

Comment

im asking because my last laptop(clevo d900k) lasted less then 1.5 years.
            and before i gutted it and tossed the rest. if you had the chance to see it you would have thought it was brand new just built and shipped. there wasnt even a hair line scratch on its chasis. but then you look at my old sony pcg-f600. which was a floor model and well used when i got it in 2002. just recently died due to my brother dropping it on a concrete floor. the only problem with it , it wont reconize a hard drive now. otherwise it will still boot up into the bios.

Comment

is your brother dropped it on its head, maybe you just need a new hard drive. i am thinking with all the G forces the drive took, maybe it just failed cuz of high Gs. you might want to check that out, if you already did then never mind then.

Comment

i poped in 6 or more diff. hard drives so its somthing with the mother board or the cable. im not that worried about fixing it. at this point it would cost more then its worth

Comment

Anecdotal:

so far my 9262 suffered a frightening 2 foot accidental drop while idle and nothing cracked or dislodged. The plastic chassis is pleasantly sturdy and I haven't had any issues with it feeling loose or scrunching up in places.

I move my laptop at least twice a day (to/from work) and other than that I'm relatively careful with it. I do casually slide it in and out of a Keen Hybridlife bag (forget the laptop carrier on that model, I use the whole messenger bag to hold my sager).

I recommend carefully masking the Windows product key with clear tape or laminate. Be careful about the headphone plugs, and be careful about accidentally opening the DVD drive. Other than that I can probably maintain a fairly casual use of my sager without much fear of trashing it. The brushed metal surface on the 9262's top also seems to resist the majority of casual use scratches and will keep this beast looking mostly new for quite a while. The rubber feet are also fairly sturdy and I'm surprised I haven't dislodged one yet.

My previous Dell has several issues with keys breaking, the power connector failing and the paint around they keyboard is completely worn off. I've had good luck with making Dell replace loose / damaged connectors under the normal warranty. However a teenage relative who inherited a Dell 6300 easily demolished it (cracked screen, popped keys, connectors which dell had replaced are almost all out of commission again). Just from my own experience I think the NP9262 is significantly sturdier than my previous laptops, but I wouldn't trust my beautiful Sager to the laptop demolisher.

Comment

Originally posted by jameslee
                    im asking because my last laptop(clevo d900k) lasted less then 1.5 years.
                    and before i gutted it and tossed the rest. if you had the chance to see it you would have thought it was brand new just built and shipped. there wasnt even a hair line scratch on its chasis. but then you look at my old sony pcg-f600. which was a floor model and well used when i got it in 2002. just recently died due to my brother dropping it on a concrete floor. the only problem with it , it wont reconize a hard drive now. otherwise it will still boot up into the bios.

I don't know your computer personally or otherwise. However, some suggestions:

1. Learn to do basic installations and repairs yourself.
                    Rationale: Too many local repair shops are downright dishonest. We even had a local TV news account of them. http://www.kvbc.com/Global/story.asp?S=7906706

2. Follow recommended care and maintenance as per the manual.
                    Plus get a small reversible vacuum that can either suck or blow for cleaning dust periodically from both the external and internal parts of the computer. Do this every 3-6 months.

3. If a notebook, get a decent stand to keep maximize the ability of the notebook's fans to keep the unit cool. . I suggest one that lifts the rear 1-2 inches and doesn't require extra power load form the machine. Examples:
                    http://www.targus.com/us/product_det...sp?sku=AWE09US
                    http://www.greenlightoffice.com/offi...ook-stand.html
                    http://www.amazon.com/Rolodex-Laptop.../dp/B000Q5Z5QI

4. Use in a decently cool environment (A/C building or room) or if outdoors in good shade. Heat kills!

5. AVOID loaning the notebook to "friends" who often worse than enemies if their lack of regard for what isn't theirs.

6. Keep away from electronics that may emit EMP.

7. Defragment and perform other disk maintenance regularly.

8. Use a GOOD Internet Security software package (I suggest PC-cillin).

YES--sometimes you can do everything right and a machine will still die on you. Might be a lemon or just plain bad luck.
                    ---Those are my principles. if you don't like them, I have others.--- {Groucho Marx}

Comment

i got mine in on 3/7(np9262) all works as expected, but however, in assembly(not likely in shipping, the f8 key is not on correctly. tried to fix it but no luck. still functions as expected, but looks kinda funny. the only other issue is my 17"wuxga lcd arrived with 2 dead pixels. not a big issue though. only really notice it at boot up. kick azz notebook though...
                      Sager np9262: 17" 1920x1200wuxga, E6850 Core2duo 3.0ghz 1.3ghz fsb 4mb L2 cache, 4Gb 800mhz ram, 1x nvidia geforce 8800mgtx 512mb gpu, 3x100gb hdd 7200rpm, Raid 0, vista ultimate x64 os, tv tuner, x-fi 7.1 sound card, triple fan cooler, 3Dmark06 9745

Comment

Originally posted by bargegod
                        i got mine in on 3/7(np9262) all works as expected, but however, in assembly(not likely in shipping, the f8 key is not on correctly. tried to fix it but no luck. still functions as expected, but looks kinda funny. the only other issue is my 17"wuxga lcd arrived with 2 dead pixels. not a big issue though. only really notice it at boot up. kick azz notebook though.

e6850
                        8800mgtx
                        2x100gb hdd (raid 0)
                        1x100gb hdd
                        tv tuner
                        sound card for express slot
                        reg dvd/rw
                        3dmark06 stock drivers...9461
                        Send it back. With the money you pay for such a notebook, it should exhibit better quality than you describe. If it was our bargain basement $800 notebook from samsTown or Costco, that would be one thing but not when you pay 2.5 - 3 times that much for a serious notebook. Send it back if it's still undr warranty.
                        ---Those are my principles. if you don't like them, I have others.--- {Groucho Marx}

Comment

[quote="kpauls"]Anecdotal:

so far my 9262 suffered a frightening 2 foot accidental drop while idle and nothing cracked or dislodged. The plastic chassis is pleasantly sturdy and I haven't had any issues with it feeling loose or scrunching up in places.

I move my laptop at least twice a day (to/from work) and other than that I'm relatively careful with it. I do casually slide it in and out of a Keen Hybridlife bag (forget the laptop carrier on that model, I use the whole messenger bag to hold my sager).quote]

Clipped for brevity. kpauls, not meaning under any circumstances to disrespect you, a 2 foot drop of the NP9261? I question this but well know the privileges of pure dumb luck having dropped my old 1970's era Minolta SLR camera lens on a street and watched it roll and bounce downhill and still function depsite a few serious dents. It's still hard for me to believe a heavy plastic device like the NP9261 can survive 2 two foot drop without something happening. UNLESS of course if it landed on a thick carpeted floor or some cushioning of a sort. Then there's the matter of which part hit the floor first which has a significant effect on surviveablity. So I'd honestly like to know more about the incident to get a feel for how my own NP9261 might endure a drop I hope never, ever happens. So if it does I'll know if I can patiently wait to see if anything happened to it or run in mindless panc to Justin about sending it in for repairs while seeking psychiatrist services for myself. :lol:

I once considered buying one of two marketed Panzer tank tough notebooks because of fear of careless airport security personnel mishandling my notebook. But I dropped the idea because those notebooks just don't provide the muscle I need for my video intensive based work. The two brands I refer to are: GETAC and Panasonic Toughbook. I think the military uses one or both and I know some police departments use the Panasonic one. One of the GETACs must pass a test to survive a 3 foot drop onto a hard surface, operate at temperatures of
                          -40F to 130F, resists sand, mud, water, dirt, being practically thrown into the back of a truck whether still on or not, and other rough handling. I loved the idea but the need to also disipate heat meant the internal components had to be low heat producing. Meaning the CPU, HD, video card etc was minimal. Something with that much external protection is not conductive to easy heat disipation. Which meant folks like me and gamers wouldn't find it a suitable to use. But they'd survive a drop that'd kill other notebooks.

Comment

Working...
                          X