• Welcome to XOTIC PC Forums! If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mobile Sandy Bridge Processors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mobile Sandy Bridge Processors

Hey guys, I searched for this but couldn't find an answer.

I put in an order for a Sager 8130 with the new Sandy Bridge chip, and I kept it pretty much stock except for the blu-ray addon.

However, it came with the option of three sandy bridge chips. I'm debating going back and changing my order from the 2630 to the 2720 for the $160 upgrade price.
    • 2630qm (2.0 - 2.8ghz turbo)
    • 2720qm (2.2 - 3.3ghz turbo)

Would I see an appreciable difference in spending the money to upgrade to the faster cpu? Both are rated in the top 5 bracket for all mobile cpus by notebookcheck on their cpu comparison chart. I was told that turbo only maintains a set frequency that the laptop can handle thermally/power wise, so woudl I even be getting the higher end of either of these ranges? Is it moot anyway, because the GTX 460m will be my bottleneck in gaming?

I'd appreciate any input, because I may go back in and change my order.

As it is, this should be a nice upgrade from my older C2D 2.5ghz and 8600 GT laptop. (although my desktop is still king, but I like to game and go..)

Thanks!
Working...
X