• Welcome to XOTIC PC Forums! If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tips for Work & Play Unplugged on a Sager

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips for Work & Play Unplugged on a Sager

My NP9262 sucks down juice like no other machine. And why shouldn't it? It's powerful!

So share your tips for the rare times when you have to unplug your top-end notebook. Let's tame that beast!

I've tried some more playtesting unplugged and it may be that the 8800M is just a really power-hungry card. Even with max power saver customized to max 35% cpu I get under an hour. Here's what may help make it better:

GPU: Maybe shut down some of the rendering and vertex pipelines and not just lower the clock?
    CPU: Next generation cpu might be lower power consumption? Make sure your power plan has its max CPU set very low (5-15%)
    Disk: Go solid-state
    Screen: in addition to dimming the screen, scaling down to a lower resolution gives me at least an extra ~30 minutes of life when using my business applications (Eclipse) (1280x720 is too wide, 1280x960 too narrow, 1600x1024 is the right ratio but pretty high res)

Here are the clock rates for an UNMANAGED 8800M (no PowerMizer or CoolBits available) on windows Vista:

GPU-Z sensors tab reports GPU Core Clock
    200.0 MHz - unplugged on power saver, no games running (vista Aero power saver tho)
    275.0 MHz - unplugged on power saver, wow loading screen
    200.0 MHz - unplugged on max performance, no games
    275.0 MHz - unplugged on max performance, wow loading screen
    200.0 MHz - plugged in on max performance, no games
    500.0 MHz - plugged in on max performance, wow loading screen
    200.0 MHz - plugged in on power saver, no games
    275.0 MHz - plugged in on power saver, wow loading screen

I would hope that with PowerMizer or CoolBits I could crank down my GPU and memory clock even lower

If you are running Vista turn off Search Indexer as it indexes the hard drive when you are not doing much on the system.
    Sager NP9170 | Core i7-3610QM | 16GB DDR3 | AMD 7970m | SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD | 500GB HD <-Ordered 6/6 - Shipped
    Clevo W860CU
    | Core i7-720QM | 8GB DDR3 | nVidia 280m | 500GB HD
    << FOR SALE $500 obo

World Entrepreneurs Network

Comment

Working...
    X