• Welcome to XOTIC PC Forums! If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Change CPU in Sager NP5125

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change CPU in Sager NP5125

I purchased a Sager NP5125 Laptop (Built on Clevo B5100M).
    It came with the following CPU:
    Intel® Core™ i7-620M, 2.66-3.33GHz, (4MB L3 cache).
    Unfortunately, for my schoolwork I do a lot of parallel programming stuff, so I real need a quad core, and this is a dual core. So, I was thinking about swapping this out for either
    (1) Intel Core i7-2720QM Sandy Bridge 2.2GHz (3.3GHz Turbo Boost) Socket G2 45W Quad-Core
    or
    (2) Intel Core i7-2820QM Sandy Bridge 2.3GHz (3.4GHz Turbo Boost) Socket G2 45W Quad-Core

The socket for the current CPU (Core™ i7-620M) is G1. I have never done this before, so I was wondering if it is impossible to swap one socket for another. Youtube videos explain that it is possible to swap out the CPU with this laptop. I'm just not sure about the Sockets.

If anyone has any thoughts about
    (1) how hard this would be
    (2) an alternative plan
    (3) a place to get more information about how to do this

I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks a lot.

All the best,
    Bob

Originally posted by ocs View Post
    I purchased a Sager NP5125 Laptop (Built on Clevo B5100M).
    It came with the following CPU:
    Intel® Core™ i7-620M, 2.66-3.33GHz, (4MB L3 cache).
    Unfortunately, for my schoolwork I do a lot of parallel programming stuff, so I real need a quad core, and this is a dual core. So, I was thinking about swapping this out for either
    (1) Intel Core i7-2720QM Sandy Bridge 2.2GHz (3.3GHz Turbo Boost) Socket G2 45W Quad-Core
    or
    (2) Intel Core i7-2820QM Sandy Bridge 2.3GHz (3.4GHz Turbo Boost) Socket G2 45W Quad-Core

The socket for the current CPU (Core™ i7-620M) is G1. I have never done this before, so I was wondering if it is impossible to swap one socket for another. Youtube videos explain that it is possible to swap out the CPU with this laptop. I'm just not sure about the Sockets.

If anyone has any thoughts about
    (1) how hard this would be
    (2) an alternative plan
    (3) a place to get more information about how to do this

I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks a lot.

All the best,
    Bob
    You cannot swap one socket for another. They do have quad core CPUs in the G1 socket i7-840qm is one of them. Google to find a list.

Comment

Originally posted by KingofKings View Post
      You cannot swap one socket for another. They do have quad core CPUs in the G1 socket i7-840qm is one of them. Google to find a list.
      Thanks for your help. I'm going to go for one of the G1 quad core CPUs like you suggested.

Comment

Try ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socket_G1 ... compatible CPU's are listed on the right.

Comment

Thanks for the info.

Just to clarify, my current socket is G1. So, it is my understanding that this computer will support a quad core processor (i.e. i7 940XM) as long as the socket required is G1. Is that correct? Sorry, this is my first time doing this.

Comment

Thanks for the info.

Just to clarify, my current socket is G1. So, it is my understanding that this computer will support a quad core processor (i.e. i7 940XM) as long as the socket required is G1. Is that correct? Sorry, this is my first time doing this.
            I think you're right.

Comment

Thanks for the info.

yes and no. The processor may fit the socket, but the bios may be unable to recognize the CPU. So far the NP5125 (Clevo B5100M) seems to only support up to an i7-640M which is still a dual core. You could try an inexpensive i7-740QM or an i7-720QM and see if it works.
              Last edited by Maverick494; 08-03-2011, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X